PDA

View Full Version : Edging a drive...

Moli
20-02-2006, 11:51 PM
I need some suggestios what to plant up the edge of a drive???

Mags
20-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Is it the drive, a strip of soil, then lawn Moli......?

Moli
20-02-2006, 11:55 PM
Is it the drive, a strip of soil, then lawn Moli......?Drive, then edging, then strip of soil then grass....:D

Moli
20-02-2006, 11:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/molidoodle/kits/DSC03011.jpg

This is part of the drive....

Mags
20-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Hmmm have to put my thinking cap on........I bet Kazz could answer that straight away!:lol:

Moli
20-02-2006, 11:59 PM
It looks so bare!, but I want something that will look nice summer and winter...

Mags
21-02-2006, 12:04 AM
You might get some ideas from here Moli...
http://www.scot-kerb.co.uk/4709/26603.html?*session*id*key*=*session*id*val*

EmmaG
21-02-2006, 12:06 AM
How about some heathers?? or did you want something a bit taller??

Moli
21-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Thinking more of planting something right up the drive Mags....We have edging stones for it....

Fran
21-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Sorry Moli....just not my thing at all. Wouldn't know where to begin!!! Good luck with what you decide to do

Moli
How about some heathers?? or did you want something a bit taller??Think I would like something taller Emma, thought of Lavender, but it doesn't look nice in the winter...

EmmaG
How about some hebies (sp)

Mags
21-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Some more ideas here....
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/layout/frontgdn.htm

Mags
21-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Azaleas?......Dwarf conifers?...Skimmia?

Moli
21-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Some more ideas here....
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/layout/frontgdn.htmBrilliant site Mags, thanks, loads of ideas there, saved it to my favourites...

Moli
21-02-2006, 12:14 AM
How about some hebies (sp)Another great idea, I love Hebies...especially the taller ones...

Fran
21-02-2006, 12:18 AM
Just had an idea which is good for me for a thread like this :shock: What about an acer? I love acers...

Mags
21-02-2006, 12:20 AM
I'm getting an acer very soon Fran!:-D

Moli
21-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Just had an idea which is good for me for a thread like this :shock: What about an acer? I love acers...Me too, I have been looking at them in a garden catalogue today:D They would look lovely :)

Fran
21-02-2006, 12:22 AM
I would love one. But they seem so expensive which is no problem if you have green fingers. I would be very concerned about paying all that money for me to kill it off a month later :?

Moli
21-02-2006, 12:23 AM
I would love one. But they seem so expensive which is no problem if you have green fingers. I would be very concerned about paying all that money for me to kill it off a month later :?They can be fussy, it might be too exposed to plant them there, it does get very windy:(

Fran
21-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Another shrub I love is Pieres japonica I have one of these although it isn't doing too well :shock:

Moli
21-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Another shrub I love is Pieres japonica I have one of these although it isn't doing too well :shock:Which one do you have PK, there are quite a few different ones...?

Fran
21-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Which one do you have PK, there are quite a few different ones...?

Hmmm now you have got me Moli. I thought there was only the one :roll: It has green leaves that turn red at certain times and sometimes has clusters of very small white flowers on it. Will have to take a piccie of it but it is a very poor specimen now that I have been left in charge of it :oops:

Moli
21-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Hmmm now you have got me Moli. I thought there was only the one :roll: It has green leaves that turn red at certain times and sometimes has clusters of very small white flowers on it. Will have to take a piccie of it but it is a very poor specimen now that I have been left in charge of it :oops:Think that one is called Forest
Flame....I have one in this garden....

Kazz
21-02-2006, 01:17 AM
Hi Fran your Pieris sounds like a Forest Flame, is he in a tub or in the ground? either way treat the same way, they like full sun but will do okay in partial shade. But most important they like soil that well drained. And give him a top dressing of Ericaceous compost (put some around the stem) and if possibly dig a some in around him, he may also benefit from a feed from a concentrated food for ACID LOVING PLANTS ie look on the bottle and it should say for; Rhododendrons, Azaleas and Pieris. So you are looking for Ericaceous Plant Food then just follow the instructions he (the Pieris should recover) they are kinda hard to kill.

Take care Karen

Kazz
21-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Moli,

Do you want to keep the drive formal - if you do then how about Box (what they make the mazes and knot garden out of normaly) You can trim it and keep it loking very smart and they look nice. You could keep it clipped into a tight hedge in no time (for your garden I would look online or find a good nursery by you and buy in bulk (get a discount;) )

I think I would be tempted to plant rose tree's underplanted with Lavender - they would look superb in my opinion and could still look formal.The rose tree's looking architectral in the winter and defining the curve in the drive with their height.:) You could either plant the same colour rose tree's or mix and match colours I would go mix and match butthats me, the same colour would look good too. Then the lavender attracting bee's and butterflies and whenthe breeze caught it the scent from that many lavenders with the roses would be gorgeous.

How high do you want to go I don't suppose you want a "high hedge" do you?
And what sort of soil is it? and what have your neighbours got that grows well in their front gardens - whatever it is it will more than likely do well in yours too;) same soil.

I will have a think and come back to you.

Karen

yola
21-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Think I would like something taller Emma, thought of Lavender, but it doesn't look nice in the winter...

Both I, my neighbour and a house oposite have lavender flanking out paths and they look OK in winter. They need a good haircut in late autumn but start filling out again very soon.

Box is lovely though - can be pricy if you buy it established, and a bit of a slow-grower if you buy them tiny, but can be interspersed with higher, standard box.

Moli
21-02-2006, 02:59 PM
think I would be tempted to plant rose tree's underplanted with Lavender - they would look superb in my opinion and could still look formal.The rose tree's looking architectral in the winter and defining the curve in the drive with their height.:smile: You could either plant the same colour rose tree's or mix and match colours I would go mix and match butthats me, the same colour would look good too. Then the lavender attracting bee's and butterflies and whenthe breeze caught it the scent from that many lavenders with the roses would be gorgeous.

That sounds brilliant Kazz, not sure about the soil yet, but there are a real mix of shrubs already in the garden, and its sheltered...The shrubs that are thewre have been neglected, don't think the previous owners have heard of pruning!!!
I like lavender with roses, it stops those beasties eating the roses!!!

Thanks Kazz, I will have a look at my gardening catalogues see what I can find....

dinahsmum
21-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Sorry I wsn't early enough to answer this but I think you've had some great suggestions.
Agree with Yola about the lavender - and you can always put some nice early white bulbs to come up amongst it, before the lavender flowers.

Fran
21-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi Fran your Pieris sounds like a Forest Flame, is he in a tub or in the ground? either way treat the same way, they like full sun but will do okay in partial shade. But most important they like soil that well drained. And give him a top dressing of Ericaceous compost (put some around the stem) and if possibly dig a some in around him, he may also benefit from a feed from a concentrated food for ACID LOVING PLANTS ie look on the bottle and it should say for; Rhododendrons, Azaleas and Pieris. So you are looking for Ericaceous Plant Food then just follow the instructions he (the Pieris should recover) they are kinda hard to kill.

Take care Karen

Thanks Kazz...will give it a go and see if I can revive it!!