PDA

View Full Version : Foods you should/shouldn't feed your cat

Booktigger
20-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Found this, thought I would post it

Foods You AVOID Feeding to Your Cat:

Pork - this is dangerous. While trichinosis may not be as much of a concern these days, it can still cause problems raw.

Fish - raw fish fed in excess can lead to a Thiamin deficiency. Small amount of cooked fish may be feed sparingly as treats, such as sardines. Raw fish may contain some parasites that cats cannot handle, strong as their digestive systems may be.

Blue-green Algae - these supplements are not recommended.

Cod Liver Oil - not recommended as a fatty acid supplement since it can easily lead to a vitamin A and D overdose; unless, no other source of these vitamins, such as liver, is given to the cat.

Raw Egg White - there are many reasons why this is unhealthy. The most important being that it contains avidin which breaks down and destroys the B vitamins.

Rabbit

Minced Meats (and cooked meats) - B vitamins get destroyed in the process. Cooking meat also destroys the digestive enzymes, which in turn makes proper digestion very difficult.

Potatoes, Peas, Cabbage or Corn (Vegetables in general) - allergen or dangerous, lack of digestible nutrients.

Carrots - the vitamin A isn't going to help your cat any because he can't convert it properly.

Citrus Fruits - allergen or dangerous, cats hate the smell.

Chocolate - dangerous and an allergen.

Onions - dangerous because it can cause Heinz-body hemolytic anemia. Onion is also found in baby food and it is often added to enhance the flavor of many foods, so be sure to read the label.

Cooked Fat - a cat's system is not designed to handle cooked meat or fat.

Tuna Meat - use sparingly. It is not a good idea because it can cause very serious vitamin E depletion. Cats can quickly become addicted to the strong flavor and refuse all other foods.

Ground Meat from a Grocery Store - possible contamination from grinders.

Flaxseed and Vegetable Oils - from a vegetable source.

Foods You CAN Feed Your Cat:

Chicken.
Lamb.
Turkey, Pheasant, Cornish Hen and Duck.
Bone Meal - do not purchase it at a garden supply store meant as fertilizer. This type of bone meal is not food grade and is of low quality, often contaminated with heavy metals. Watch how much you use and avoid overdosing.
Gelatin - provides a unique blend of amino acids.
Egg Yolk - contains all of the essential amino and fatty acids needed by the cat. It presents a rich source for vitamins and trace minerals. Egg yolk represents the most complete and concentrated nutrition available in the animal kingdom.
Salmon Oil - rich with Omega 3 fatty acids and it's the most concentrated source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
Garlic - helps to fight fleas.
Apple Cider Vinegar - a teaspoon in food each day may also help to repel fleas (but our cats prefer garlic).
Organ Meats - heart, liver, giblets, gizzards and kidneys. On a regular basis, they will help in enhancing variety. We don't use organ meats much, though.
Colloidal Minerals - containing over 70 natural minerals, preferably in unflavored liquid form (Health food and supplement stores).
Psyllium Husk Powder - unflavored, for fiber and proper bowel movement. Not necessary, but we use it.

dinahsmum
20-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Mmmmm.
Well I guess we all do some things we shouldn't do and eat some things which are maybe not ideal.
It's fine reading the theory - I think one does what suits and what has proved successful.

CJK
20-02-2006, 01:23 PM
i was told to give persians and prengant queens raw mince! and Mr d has fresh cooked coli once a fortnight, he has chicken freshly cooked every 2 days.

Have on occasion given mine a tin of tuna between them all, but once in a blue moon.

twix will try and pinch pasta or cheese off my plate if left unguraded for even a second, not sure that's good for him lol, so dont let him do it.

i think this issue is the same as many out there, whatever this article says there will be another saying something different.

Apart from the coli chicken and rare tin of tuna (cat one at that) my boys dont get fresh stuff like that, they get tinned and packets.
they love the hi-life pate tins!

Booktigger
20-02-2006, 01:44 PM
IT looks like I might have found this from a site about raw feeding. I like to know what will cause serious health issues if eaten by cats, but others are a bit more flexible - that said, I don't give my cats table scraps (although Ginger did get a bit of egg noodle and mushroom to prove that he wouldn't like them while cooking tea - he promptly ate the egg noodle to prove me wrong). They also only get fresh meat at Christmas and birthdays, and I have been glad of that in recent months, as if they get a treat like that, so do the fosters.

CJK
20-02-2006, 01:47 PM
no way i feed my boys table scraps!
But at least now i get some ideas what to avoid at all costs

emma_pen
04-04-2006, 09:18 AM
A couple of things I want to add...

I don't see any harm whatsever in rabbit - wild/outdoor cats eat rabbit all the time.

My cats get raw egg. You should never feed just the white, but the full egg & yolk together are good.

Donna
04-04-2006, 03:16 PM
Depends how far you want to take things really. Of course avoid things that are poisonous to our pets, but all in moderation if they like it. I will end up feeding my pets better than my children if I followed all the websites and books advice!!

dandysmom
04-04-2006, 09:05 PM
My 2 only get raw meat on birthdays; do get dark meat cooked chicken (have done so for years & my cats all die very old), and as a treat, some of the olive oil from sardines once in a while; they love it & both have gorgeous shiny coats...also the occasional bit of cheddar...sometimes I'll mix in a tiny bit of cooked rice (brown long grain) in their moist food; some eat it, some eat around it...other than occasional snacks like the above, just good quality moist & dry food.

tillytails
06-04-2006, 09:17 AM
I'm with emma-pen - don't understand why rabbit or whole eggs would be a problem. Both would be eaten in the wild, particularly rabbit. And cod-liver oil was recommended by my vet once - just a little squirt from a human capsule on their food every now and then to help with arthritis. :?

Juliet
08-04-2006, 09:28 PM
That's interesting - I used to give James a whole raw sardine every now and again for a treat. He loved them.

dandysmom
08-04-2006, 09:42 PM
Misty, my blue torbie adored sardines; she lived to 19 1/2...and I have always let my cats (stop here if you're squeamish!) lick the bowl after I have beaten eggs:roll: :-D