PDA

View Full Version : Is 9 months of age a little young for having kittens?

CJK
18-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Just been thinking about my friends cat, who I am baby sitting from monday. She is only 9 months old, i thought she was a year, but anyway, isnt that a little young to be having kittens? She has a male cat, but doesnt know how the daddy of the kittens is as she lets her cat wander around outside!!

I have tried to nicely suggest she gets her cat spayed after this, she said she'll think about it. I'll keep talking to her about it when she comes back off her hoildays.

dinahsmum
18-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Biologically, I don't suppose it is. :roll:

Why not suggest she charges enough for the kittens to cover the cost of spaying and extra food etc till they leave?

You can tell her horror stories (after the kits have safely arrived) of difficult births, vet bills, dead kittens etc.

All unneccesary risks for a pet, IMO

CJK
18-02-2006, 03:39 PM
That's not a bad idea, then she will feel she isnt " loosing money" on her cat.
I am trying to be tactfull about it all, she isnt even sure the cat is pregnant yet, SO SHE SAYS but she must have an idea she is to mention it to me.

Persoanlly, if it were my little girl i would have had her done by now, as you say Dm, unneccesary risks for a pet,and a moggie too!

Fran
18-02-2006, 10:25 PM
It does seem a little young to be having kittens doesn't it :( I think most pedigree breeders will wait until their queens are over a year old and had at least three calls before they mate them. Maybe Kay could throw more light on this??

CJK
19-02-2006, 08:34 AM
I just feel sorry for the poor little cat. My friend obviously doesnt have a clue, but what's really annoying is i try and be tactfull and polite, but I dont think she listens really.

smudgley
19-02-2006, 10:07 AM
Is 9 months young to be having kittens?

Agree with DM - biologically no.

They are physically able to give birth & rear a litter at that age.

They do not have the mental wellbeing of themselves or their kittens to worry about.

They have no emotional state. (not as we do anyway)

So in my opinion it's not too young for her to have kittens as such, but 9 months, 1 year, 2 years.... it's just unneccasary at any age really to breed from a moggy.:(

Moli
19-02-2006, 12:54 PM
I think its way too young, poor little girl is just a baby herself!!

CJK
19-02-2006, 01:11 PM
it's a sad fact that people are letting thier moggies wander around getting pregnant at early ages.
I can't stop thinking about it, wishing i could help this cat out

Jac
19-02-2006, 02:53 PM
it's a sad fact that people are letting thier moggies wander around getting pregnant at early ages.

sounds like a lot of teenagers easpecially recently, One girl was on the local news at 13!!!

Getting back to the topic. I'm not sure. In the wild I suppose they just have litter after litter and age doesnt come into it. If the body can do, it will do, If you get my drift. Is it morally right? Dont know enough yet.

CJK
19-02-2006, 03:33 PM
I think it's not right really, I mean this kitten is only9 months old, they got another one at xmas that is now 4 months old, seems as if they got one and dont want the old now. They should ahve had her spayed. I'm really upset over it,like i siad i can't stop thinking about it. I feel so sorry for the poor little girl. She deserves more love and respect than this, I really dont think I can be bothered being friends with this person much longer.

smudgley
19-02-2006, 06:24 PM
She is just a baby herself & does need time to grow up, but if she were in the wild, she would have had several litters by now.

Kay
19-02-2006, 08:24 PM
I feel it is much to young to have a litter. Although a kitten is classed an adult when they reach 9 months and many have reached sexual mature much earlier. As a breeder of Persians I would not allow a girl of mine to mate under a year of age and until she had had at least 2 calls. Persians do tend to mature slower than moggies. If she is pregnant then your friend needs to be giving her plenty of good quality food to ensure she has a good supply of milk. You should then ask your friend to get her cat booked in at the vets to be spayed as soon as she has weaned the litter to prevent another so called accident, the same goes for the new kitten they have bought. She should have considered all this before getting these cats. Their welfare is down to her. Sorry if I sound cross but it is people like this that create so many unwanted cats in rescue. It only takes a little thought and a relatively small amount of money in comparison to the cats well being. Hope she does the right thing by her two cats, CJ.

bobbie3917
20-02-2006, 03:14 AM
i wouldnt want to breed a litter from a cat younger then 1 year. Scarlott started calling at 5 months and have had 4 calls before she was mated at just 2 weeks past her birthday.

CatGirl
20-02-2006, 01:24 PM
I agree with you CJ,you can't really be a friend to a person like that,especially as you disagree with her, about the treatment of her little female.Has she left you with some nice food for her?

CJK
20-02-2006, 01:38 PM
hi catgirl. I posted on my other thread about this cat ( cat-sitting) the woman asked me if i would take her act on, i said no but was happy to look after it while theyre away. then it turns out they werent going on holiday but moving house, anyway theyve moved, cant see any sign of the cat in the house, but rang the RSCPA in case.
God knows what goes on in the ehads of people like this!