PDA

View Full Version : Harry wants to go out for the first time

Shirley-ann
17-02-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi people i am new on here but would like a bit of advice. What is the general opinion on letting cats out for the first time?
How long should he have been in his new home before you would allow him out in the garden?
How long should you leave him out for?
How can i be sure he will come back?
How do i get him in again?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Mags
17-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Hi Shirley-ann and a warm welcome to Catpages!

I would wait 2 - 3 weeks before letting your cat out of his new home...

It would also be a good time to let him out just before you usually feed him.......that way he will come back in soon as he will be hungry.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!:-P

Moli
17-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Hi Shirley-ann, welcome to cat pages....Look forward to chatting, I can only repeat what Mags has said....

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi and welcome

Excellent advice there Mags.

Donna
17-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Perhaps you could go out in the garden with him for say, ten minutes to start with before dinner, and gradually build the confidence. Feel for you as I was scared to let my kittens out at first, but now they go out if they want, but prefer to stay in, unless I am out there!

Shirley-ann
17-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks for some of your advice. Harry is not a kitten as such, he is 10 months old we have had him for a week we got him from Well cats in Birmingham a great place for cats to be looked after. He has spent the last week getting to know us and is gaining confidence every day he spends his days at home with me and the nights roaming around the house jumping on and off the bed playing with my husband and me waking us up by nudging us whenever he wants a bit of fuss, but we both love him loads already and dont mind a bit. Still open for more sugestions on weaning him into the great outdoors as he has started crying at the back door.

Donna
17-02-2006, 10:44 PM
You can buy harnesses and leads for cats so you can take them for a walk in the garden.

Moli
17-02-2006, 10:44 PM
My cats only get out when I am home, and the back door is left open, now if anything frightens them they are straight in the back door....Maybe if you leave the door open during the day for a little while and let him explore for a while, then once he comes in shut the door...

random
17-02-2006, 10:47 PM
When I moved home I kept Tabs indoors for about 4 weeks but she was really pinning to go out by then (she's a very 'outdoor' cat). So I took her around the garden on a cat harness on a long line, she hated it! But, she could have a little sniff about and explore and I was happy she couldn't go anywhere. After a couple of times out on the harness I let her out on her own while I was in the garden, just before feeding time, so she was out approx 10mins. I built it up untill she was out for about half hour and then I just let her out when she wanted.

I was, however, extra vigialant because she's a bit older! And I worry about her! :lol: lol

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 10:49 PM
Shirley, one thing I should ask I presume he has been neutered??? Cats that haven't been neutered can travel longer distances than those that have. What sort of area do you live in?? built up?? quite location??

Moli
17-02-2006, 10:50 PM
I have discoverd catnip drops! if I shake the tin, they all come rushing in, its the only time they get them...;)

Donna
17-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I have discoverd catnip drops! if I shake the tin, they all come rushing in, its the only time they get them...;)

Thats a good idea Moli - so they associate the shake of the tin with getting a treat so come in - what sort do you have and where from? I have had trouble finding any.

Mags
17-02-2006, 11:02 PM
When I want to get Cassie back in I just rattle the cat flap and as she has quite a loud bell on her collar, I can always hear her coming before I see her....

smudgley
17-02-2006, 11:04 PM
hi Shirley-ann & welcome to Catpages.
I would keep Harry in for 6 weeks, to ensure he builds a good bond with you & gets used to his new environment. I would then let him out one morning - but as the others have said don't feed him before you let him out. I'd leave him for a while then call him in for his breakfast.

Another tip, each time you feed him, starting now, make a noise - it could be calling his name in a certain way or even better rattling a tin, so he associates the noise with his food.Then when you let him out & you are ready for him to come in, make the noise or rattle your tin & he should come in.

Also another good tip, to help him find his way home - put a smear of butter on each of his paws. Some would say it's an old wives tale, but I believe it works, not sure how - the only theory my hubby & I came up with is that as they lick the butter off, it leaves a stronger scent where their footsteps (or should I say pawprints) have been!

Good luck & hope Harry is a good boy when he goes out.:)

Moli
17-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Thats a good idea Moli - so they associate the shake of the tin with getting a treat so come in - what sort do you have and where from? I have had trouble finding any.They are made by Armitage, called good girl catnip drops, you can get them from pet shops Donna...;)

Shirley-ann
17-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi Emma yes Harry has lost his prize possesions Well Cat make sure all their charges are neutered before finding new loving homes for them. We live in a very quiet cul-de-sac with a fenced rear garden. He is pineing to get out in the fresh air.

EmmaG
17-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Hi Shirley, well that makes it a bit easier, I think if you follow the advice Mags and Smudgley have given you everything will be fine :)

dinahsmum
18-02-2006, 02:08 PM
It's all been covered in the previous posts hasn't it?

I think the 'noise for food' tip is a good one. Shaking the cat-biscuit box or rattling a fork on the dish - just a special noise which means 'come here - food about!'
Your boy might be OK on a harness. We used them when we moved house, just for a couple of times to let the old girls get used to their new surroundings and the sights and smells.

Good luck.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif