PDA

View Full Version : Going to try raw!

Ruthlynn
17-02-2006, 04:49 PM
I've just found some Prize choice in the freezer that I used for Murph and have decided to try Lily on it! I'm used to feeding raw to a dog but have never tried it for a cat! She's on Nature's Menu and burns at the moment but I'd love to hear from other raw feeders here.

Take care

dinahsmum
17-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I'm going to feed my new kits raw (but, as Mrs Beeton would have it, first catch your kits!). If the oldies want to join in that will be fine.

Ruthlynn
17-02-2006, 05:13 PM
What are you going to use DM?

dinahsmum
17-02-2006, 05:17 PM
The recipe on the Wet or Dry thread in this section. DIY using rabbit (will have to speak nicely to rabbit-catchers) or chicken, egg etc.
Will also have to get a suitable grinder to splat the bones

Ruthlynn
17-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks! that looks interesting - I'll see how Lily gets on with the Prize Choice first. I got my grinder from Northern Tools when Murph was a puppy. It worked really well and the bones were ground down to a mince like mush!

Jeanette
17-02-2006, 08:45 PM
I wanted to switch Oliver over, as I already feed Luna raw...

But he's too stubborn.. old git!!

If I ever get another kitty, I will feed it raw. And I will still offer Oliver bits and pieces... Ooh actually.. he ate the tip of a chicken wing yesterday!! That's a first.. Its mostly been chicken fillets he's eaten (stolen from Luna's bowl)

Ruth how old is Lily?? I forgot:oops:

bobbie3917
17-02-2006, 08:53 PM
i feed my dogs raw and have tried a few times to get Scarlott on it and she is not having any of it, Minx will eat anything but was eating anything (ie her's and Scarlott's food) and it give her an upset tummy so i put her back on the dry food with the odd bit of tinned food aday.
i might try again after Scarlott has had her kittens and they are ready to start weaning

Fran
17-02-2006, 10:16 PM
My dogs are raw fed. Some of my cats have the occasional raw. They love whole ground chicken and a couple of them will happily devour a whole chicken wing :shock:

Kazz
17-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Cleo has never eaten anything raw she hasn't caught herself.;) But Oscar will happily eat raw beef like the dogs. But never tried anymore raw than that - think I will stick to the tradional route of tinned/packet fresh cooked for the cats.

Ruthlynn
18-02-2006, 11:06 AM
Well - tried Lily on the raw this morning.....she sniffed at it and walked away!:roll: I put her Natures menu in her bowl and she scoffed the lot. it's a good food and all natural so may just stick with that. having had a lab that ate for england, i'm not used to fussy cats!!;) :D

Booktigger
18-02-2006, 06:15 PM
I thought cats needed different nutrients than dogs for raw food??
I am still debating with raw for mine, did buy them raw mince on Pebbles birthday, only Ginger (the cat with no teeth) liked it, although I gave the second pack (it was buy one get one free) to my friend, and she said it wasn't that nice, so maybe it was just that. I think I will have to stick with HiLife for now, unless I can find someone to supply it already done for me.

dinahsmum
18-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Yes it is quite a bit different.
Here's a good article (from an interesting site) http://www.catnutrition.org/pictorial.html

Jeanette
18-02-2006, 10:23 PM
Oooh I wish I had a grinder:-(

They are VERY expenssive here in Denmark..

I think this is something I would like to try on Oliver

dinahsmum
19-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Found this article
http://ukbarfclub.co.uk/nm/anmviewer.asp?a=31&z=16