PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate cat

Elaine
15-02-2006, 09:36 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a398/ElainePirie/cats017.jpg

Winston smells like chocolate:shock:
Not all over, just the back of his head and neck. We dont really eat alot of chocoalte, so its not like he would have been petted with chocolate covered hands or anything.
Why would my old boy suddenly start to smell of chocolate?:?

Donna
15-02-2006, 09:37 PM
mmmm tasty kitty kat!!!

Fran
15-02-2006, 09:38 PM
:? That's a new one on me Elaine :?

Mags
15-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Strange:smt017 .....

Elaine
15-02-2006, 09:46 PM
Its so weird I know but you could honestly eat him up if you smelled him:D
As he is old and has kidney insufficiency, I have kind of been expecting him to smell of wee on occasion, which he never has. But this chocolate thing really has me stumped.:?
I just cannt think why he would smell like chocolate.
Perfume? yes i would understand that if he had been lying on my clothes.
Wee? yes as I said about the kidney thing.
Aftershave? yes if he were lying on Grahams clothes.
I can think of many things that he may smell of but not chocolate.
I am very confused but I kinda like his new smell;)

dinahsmum
15-02-2006, 09:48 PM
:smt102
Just enjoy, I guess?

Elaine
15-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Would I sound mentally unbalanced if i called the vet and asked if they knew why Winston smelled of chocolate?:oops:
It has been mentioned on another forum to do that because sometimes when people are sick they begin to smell of funny things.
And i do remember my gran smelled of butter biscuits and carbolic soap:shock:
Am I being stupid?

Moli
15-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Haven't a clue:roll: :roll: ....sorry.:roll:

dinahsmum
15-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Diabetes in humans can give an 'acid drop' smell if it gets out of kilter.
Don't think I'd ask the vet unless I ws going for something else.

BRAINWAVE - does he go out? There is a relatively new garden mulch made of crushed cocoa shells. It smells just gorgeous. If one of your neighbours has put some down and he is lying in it......................

Elaine
15-02-2006, 10:20 PM
No, he doesnt go out. He eats, sleeps, has a little play and loves to be cuddled as much and as often as possible.

Mags
15-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Would I sound mentally unbalanced if i called the vet and asked if they knew why Winston smelled of chocolate?:oops:
It has been mentioned on another forum to do that because sometimes when people are sick they begin to smell of funny things.
And i do remember my gran smelled of butter biscuits and carbolic soap:shock:
Am I being stupid?
When my children were younger I always knew when they weren't well by the smell of their breath.....I can tell the same with my grandchildren too.:?

CathyW
15-02-2006, 10:52 PM
can i sniff your cat :shock: since quitting choccy ive really missed the smell :lol:

Elaine
16-02-2006, 01:02 PM
He still smells of chocolate:shock: He is getting a bit ratty about being sniffed at all the time.
He is fine in all aspects of his life, i.e. he is eating/drinking, peeing/pooping, playing/sleeping.
Havent phoned the vet coz it just sounds really stupid.
His breath does ming form time to time depending on his teeth and his condition due to his crf.
I had a good sniff at the other cats and none of them smell of chocolate.

Donna
16-02-2006, 01:03 PM
He still smells of chocolate:shock: He is getting a bit ratty about being sniffed at all the time.
He is fine in all aspects of his life, i.e. he is eating/drinking, peeing/pooping, playing/sleeping.
Havent phoned the vet coz it just sounds really stupid.
His breath does ming form time to time depending on his teeth and his condition due to his crf.
I had a good sniff at the other cats and none of them smell of chocolate.

What a mystery we have here :roll: ;)

Kay
16-02-2006, 07:58 PM
What a mystery we have here :roll: ;)

Where is Miss Marple when you need her.:lol: :lol: :lol: No idea what it could be but it is certainly better than wee.

Donna
16-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Is it more Cadbury or Galaxy or maybe continental Chocs? Maybe we can pinpoint where he has been if we can work out what choccy he smells of!!!!

Mags
16-02-2006, 08:06 PM
Elaine....I have just found this...could possibly be the cause?:?

Dog Poison Info

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine".It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it reallyattracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution -- check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens. Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate -- especially dark or baker's chocolate -- which is toxic to dogs. Cacao bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Elaine
16-02-2006, 10:35 PM
I have solved the mystery of the chocolate smelling kitty!!!
What a releif and thanx Mags for the info.
Graham has only just addmitted to eating some chocolate and says he may have stroked Winston after doing so. It is my personal beleif that Graham scoffed himself stupid with chocolate while I was out and rather than stroked Winston he wiped his guilty sticky fingers on my handsome old boy.
The smell seems to have gone now thankgoodness coz i was getting quite worried, which is why graham has owned up I think.

Moli
16-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Thank goodness for that, been bugging me all day!!!

Fran
16-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Glad the mystery is now solved Elaine ;)

Mags
16-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Mystery solved...what a relief!!:lol:

CJK
17-02-2006, 08:16 AM
glad the old boy is ok, just reading through here iw as thinking how weird!!!