PDA

View Full Version : Smudgley - update

Kazz
14-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Hi Smudgley

ANy chance on an update on your cats at the moment. Have the J litter got homes I think Jemima has a home and of course "Miss Pretty Eyes";) Any more reserved or homed?

Karen

smudgley
14-02-2006, 06:55 PM
OK then here's what I've got in..

Harry - still not happy. :(

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/smudgley2/rescuecats227.jpg

Inca - reserved & going this week

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/smudgley2/rescuecats101.jpg

Poppy (mom of the J litter) reserved & being spayed tomorrow. Will go in 2 weeks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/smudgley2/rescuecats338.jpg

Jemima has gone to her new home.

Joker & Jester are reserved (going together one day this week)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/smudgley2/rescuecats340.jpg

Matilda & her 5 babies - Matilda is staying here & one baby is reserved

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/smudgley2/catpics118.jpg

Kazz
14-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Things move fast at Smudgley towers don't they,;)

smudgley
14-02-2006, 06:58 PM
They sure do Kazz. ;)

Kazz
14-02-2006, 07:42 PM
How nice Joker and Jester are going together, thats nice. And I am not surprised Poppy has been reserved she is such an appealingcat even from just a photo.

I am sure a home for Harry is just around the corner - I don;t remember whats his story? I know Domino's (as do we all) but can't recall Harry's - if he was a stray for a while that might explain his attitude - stray cats I imagine soon get to distrust people.:(

Karen

Donna
14-02-2006, 07:42 PM
What a place to stay tho!! Bet all the stray cats tell each other where to try to end up!!!

smudgley
14-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Harry belonged to a couple who seperated & had 3 cats, we could only take one at the time.
Harry arrived & seemed ok, I didn't do much with him, I always give them space & time to chill (unless they come & ask for a cuddle, when I obviously oblige)
I had him castrated.
After 48 hours of being here, I thought he'd be ok, but no he hisses & spits at me & tries to scratch. He has been very grumpy. The only other cats I've had that bad, have been the feral cats I've had in.
He is 12 months old.
He's been here a few weeks now (can't remember exactly how long without checking)
He doesn't come out of his bed, only when I'm not around to eat & use his tray.
He was initially very dirty & refused to use his tray, thankfully he does now use the tray.

Kazz
14-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Hmmmm maybe he is scared - and the small space is not to his liking, shame sounds like he was loved and secure and when removed has reverted to his only line of defence - ie ignoring his surrondings,shame I wonder if he didn;t use a litter tray before, its a shame did thecouple who had him say he was okay before, maybe like Domino he needs to be indoors to show his nicer side.Shame must confusing for him - am I soft or what.:roll:

Fran
14-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Poor Harry :( Really hope he comes round soon and starts being less grumpy :( Is he going to be difficult to rehome Smudgley?

Kazz
14-02-2006, 09:10 PM
I'd have him Fran but I am a sucker for a hard luck story:roll:

Fran
14-02-2006, 09:12 PM

If there is someone who could turn this poor little fella around and regain his trust, it is you Kazz ;)

smudgley
14-02-2006, 09:19 PM
his past, better not say too much on here, but lets just say there was not much said about his past when he came in :roll:

Will he be hard to rehome?

Well he has a few things against him
1- he's not a kitten, (but he is only young).
2-he's male, don't know why, but everyone wants girls
3-he is at the moment "unhandle-able" (do you like that word? think I just made it up!)

So looking at all his facts, yes he is at the moment looking almost impossible to rehome. I can't even bring him in the house to see what he's like.:shock:

Kazz
14-02-2006, 09:21 PM
I should have said if my circumstances were different but thanks Fran - I think though you speak through rose coloured glasses;) .

At the moment I have a cat that does not trust me, the reason have a look in pictures I'll post there.:roll:

Donna
14-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Oh what a poor kitty. He must be feeling very depressed. Not much of a life is it?

Kazz
14-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Thats a shame Smudgley some catshave a hard life don't they not saying he has - but some do its a shame.

smudgley
14-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Oh what a poor kitty. He must be feeling very depressed. Not much of a life is it?

No - sometimes it's really hard, knowing that he may not be happy here, but then I always look at the alternative & in this case, there's no alternative at the moment. So here he shall stay until an understanding person comes along, or until he chills out a bit.

Donna
14-02-2006, 09:29 PM
No - sometimes it's really hard, knowing that he may not be happy here, but then I always look at the alternative & in this case, there's no alternative at the moment. So here he shall stay until an understanding person comes along, or until he chills out a bit.

Sorry Smudgley didnt mean to make it sound like he living in a bad place now!!! Think your Kitty Hotel is very nice, but just that he needs to interact in a normal household.

smudgley
14-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Sorry Smudgley didnt mean to make it sound like he living in a bad place now!!! Think your Kitty Hotel is very nice, but just that he needs to interact in a normal household.

Oh I know Donna - & I agree with you, he does need to interact in more normal surroundings & he may then feel more comfortable. I just think it's a shame when they aren't happy. :(

Mags
14-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Poor Harry, I hope he will learn to relax and trust people again.....
Pity we all didn't live near you Smudgley, we could take it in turns and try to give him the fusses he deserves.....:(

random
14-02-2006, 10:34 PM
I wish I could give a rescue cat a home but I have tried and tried and I have too many things against me:

A) I have a child under 5 (he's 3)
B) I'm only a student (they prefer you to be working)
C) I have 3 dogs....

It's unfortunate because I do have a loving home right here honist ;) (ask tabs, lol she's 14 this year and she's not complaining!)

smudgley
14-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Poor Harry, I hope he will learn to relax and trust people again.....
Pity we all didn't live near you Smudgley, we could take it in turns and try to give him the fusses he deserves.....:(

With gloves on ;)

CJK
15-02-2006, 06:27 AM

same hre kazz, thats how we ended up with 5 extra bunnies and twix and oatemal ( with oatemals brother and twix's sister at the time too).

I'd take any cat in that i could help.
think we got plenty of bunnies though lol

dinahsmum
15-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm not suprised Poppy is already sorted.
(I would have had her if I'd thought she'd settle....and if she was closer)

Poor Harry!
Do you have people who will foster cats in their homes? That might bring him out of himself?

smudgley
15-02-2006, 02:20 PM
I wish I could give a rescue cat a home but I have tried and tried and I have too many things against me:

A) I have a child under 5 (he's 3)
B) I'm only a student (they prefer you to be working)
C) I have 3 dogs....

It's unfortunate because I do have a loving home right here honist ;) (ask tabs, lol she's 14 this year and she's not complaining!)

well I would rehome to you.
A) - We will rehome with young children in the family as long as they have been used to animals.
B) Can't see what difference that makes :?
C) Again - not a problem. 1, 2, 3 or 10 dogs as long as they get on with cats - no probs;)

smudgley
15-02-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm not suprised Poppy is already sorted.
(I would have had her if I'd thought she'd settle....and if she was closer)

Poor Harry!
Do you have people who will foster cats in their homes? That might bring him out of himself?

Yes - we have in house fosterers, I have mentioned moving him. We may have to do that I think.

CJK
15-02-2006, 02:30 PM
smudgley is that a policy the cpl there has then? Cos iw as told that they WONT rehome with anyone who has kids under five. If that isnt the case then I would much prefer torescue a cat in the future than buy one

smudgley
15-02-2006, 02:55 PM
smudgley is that a policy the cpl there has then? Cos iw as told that they WONT rehome with anyone who has kids under five. If that isnt the case then I would much prefer torescue a cat in the future than buy one

As far as I'm aware - each branch works differently & it is up to the branch involved who / where they would rehome to & as far as I know there are no hard / fast rules. (could be wrong though:? )

At our branch we are all fosterers & not a shelter - so it is basically up to us to decide who can offer an appropiate home & each individual case is different.

One rule we do have is - we don't rehome to people on main roads - unless they will keep the cat as an indoor cat.

Another rule is that we "generally" (there are exceptions) rehome within the borough / boundaries of our branch.

As for dogs / well I have worked with dogs all my life, I know that it can work with dogs & cats. I know a lady who has 12 cats & 3 dogs & they are all happy.

With children, that is a difficult one because I know some children find it hard to undestand how to act around animals, but again some children are very good & if they have been brought up respecting animals then there shouldn't be a problem.

The most important thing here is the history of the cat, if an older cat comes in who has lived with an old lady all it's life, then it would be unfair to place that cat in a busy household. However if a cat has come from a house with 5 children & lots of people coming & going & general chaos, then they would better cope with a busy environment. :)

random
15-02-2006, 06:52 PM
well I would rehome to you.
A) - We will rehome with young children in the family as long as they have been used to animals.
B) Can't see what difference that makes :?
C) Again - not a problem. 1, 2, 3 or 10 dogs as long as they get on with cats - no probs;)

REALLY?

I've been to the RSPCA, 2 little local shelters and CPL, all said same things to me so I gave up!

random
15-02-2006, 06:58 PM
As far as I'm aware - each branch works differently & it is up to the branch involved who / where they would rehome to & as far as I know there are no hard / fast rules. (could be wrong though:? )

At our branch we are all fosterers & not a shelter - so it is basically up to us to decide who can offer an appropiate home & each individual case is different.

One rule we do have is - we don't rehome to people on main roads - unless they will keep the cat as an indoor cat.

Another rule is that we "generally" (there are exceptions) rehome within the borough / boundaries of our branch.

As for dogs / well I have worked with dogs all my life, I know that it can work with dogs & cats. I know a lady who has 12 cats & 3 dogs & they are all happy.

With children, that is a difficult one because I know some children find it hard to undestand how to act around animals, but again some children are very good & if they have been brought up respecting animals then there shouldn't be a problem.

The most important thing here is the history of the cat, if an older cat comes in who has lived with an old lady all it's life, then it would be unfair to place that cat in a busy household. However if a cat has come from a house with 5 children & lots of people coming & going & general chaos, then they would better cope with a busy environment. :)

That's exactly what I thought, I rang the CPL and although the cats live in foster homes, from what I could gather, the shelter carried out the homechecks and all the paperwork etc, and the foster carerers were not involved in deciding where the cats were rehomed too? I aggree totally with the aspect on children, I think homes should be assesed by watching how the child interacts with the other animals in the house, I had my cat before I had my son so he has grew up with her and obviously would be better behaved and respectful to animals than a child who has never had pets....

I did ask if they could asess on the home visit how he was with my cat and dogs, but they said they dont re-home to ppl with children under 5, it didnt matter how he behaved, that was the rules! (I was quite bluntly told too!)

random
15-02-2006, 06:59 PM
It breaks my heart because I know how many cats are put down because they shelters are bursting full and I have offered a perfectly good home but been turned down everywhere I look :cry:

smudgley
15-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Well our nearest shelter is about 40 mins away & our branch has no connections with them. We never put a cat down unless for health reasons, but we just couldn't afford to be that picky with who we rehome to.
Also - I think if we don't rehome to someone then they will go & get a cat from elsewhere anyway, so they might as well have one of ours.

As long as they are going to do what's best for the cat, that is our main concern.

Not sure where you are Random, but I seriously would rehome to you if you were local. (Obviously I don't know you, but what I mean is I wouldn't turn you away for the 3 reasons above, or any of them) :)

random
15-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Smudgley I live pretty far away from the west midlands...(north east), but thats made me feel a lot better about it, maybe I should keep trying?

smudgley
15-02-2006, 11:18 PM
Well I can't speak for other CP branches, or other rescue organisations - but as I said - if you came to me & you love cats - then ;)

Good luck if you do go back to the rescues.