PDA

View Full Version : where did you get your cat(s) from?

CJK
13-02-2006, 09:32 PM
I was jsut wondering where everybody got thier cats from?
I know there a lot of people BIG on rescuing, wondered how many have rescues or wehre others got thier furbies from.

I got oatmeal from a womana around the corner fromme, with pilchard his borther, who went walkies, then year later we got maggie and twix from same woman, maggie as you may know was the little girl who was PTS at 4 months old. they were all free.

Mr Darcy was from a breeder.

Moli
13-02-2006, 09:37 PM
All mine came from Breeders........

CathyW
13-02-2006, 11:29 PM
barnaby was a rescue cat, and ronnie n reggie where from the jackie who worked in the co-op, she knew we had lost our monty and asked after a few weeks if we wanted 1 kitten, er there was those 2 left and i couldnt seperate them :lol:

random
13-02-2006, 11:33 PM
I got Tabs from a some very dodgy people who had let their cat go out and get pregnant :(

She was just 5 weeks old, we had to feed her with a pipette and special milk from the vet as they hadn't even tried to wean the kittens before selling them (for just £2! :shock:)

We had no idea about all this when we went to visit, but when we saw her, we couldn't leave her there, who knows where she might have ended up! :shock:

random
13-02-2006, 11:34 PM
....can't believe she's 13 in March! :shock:

EmmaG
13-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Lucy RIP (rescue centre)
Arthur (lady down the road)
Bronwyn RCPCA

Donna
14-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Chloe from a lady whos cat had kittens. Very nice family but obviously just not had their cat speyed. Chloe was £45.

Misty from a lady who has lots of cats who couldnt be bothered to spey her cats and had tons of kittens all at once and were not looked after and fed properly. She was free.

Snoof
14-02-2006, 03:23 AM
Fred from a friend's friend.
Jake from a friend of my French teacher's.
I had Fred and Jake at the same time, starting when Fred was 4 or 5 and they got along fabulously.

Dishrag from a lady who saw him get thrown out of a car as a kitten and who nursed him back to health. She worked a lot and he was a very sociable cat so she gave him to us.
Manfish from a couple who abused her and then "got tired of her" because she "wasn't sociable enough". She soon came out of her shell once we got her.
Manfish and Dishrag were together too, after we'd had Dishrag for over a year and he was about 2. They also got along fine.

Rajah I stole from my ex's neighbour because he wasn't taking care of her at all. When I got her to the vet he said she probably wouldn't've survived another week. Unfortunately I ended up having to give her up because I wasn't allowed pets in my flat - normally I wouldn't've gotten a cat but I couldn't just let her die of starvation in the cold :(

And Ninja came from the local rescue. I would not get a cat from "someone" nowadays, unless it were an adult in dire need of a home and I were in a pet situation where it were feasible. I would love some breeds, but I know myself too well to think I'll ever be able to pay that much for a purebreed when I could give a rescue cat a home. Having Ninja (and dealing with his severe trust issues) has shown me that so many cats get no love at all. Seeing him settle slowly into his forever home has been heartwrenching and beautiful, and it's made me very very happy.

dandysmom
14-02-2006, 03:52 AM
Scamper: source unknown my parents got him when I was five years old (he lived to be 17) Su-ling: from a lady in the neighborhood who advertised Siamese kittens for sale in the paper; Sultan from a local neighborhood pet store; Misty, a little stray who showed up in my yard on a cold Winter day; Dandy from a breeder; Patches who was listed in the paper as being up for adoption because of family allergies; and last but not least, Leia, from a friend whose employee had to get rid of her kittens because of moving to an apartment with a no-pets policy. All different, all wonderful cats :D

CJK
14-02-2006, 06:03 AM
we took twix oatmeal pilchard and maggie from this woman from free cos of the conditions they were in. There was something like 8 adult cats in the house, several pregnant and just had kittens. They werent wormed, none of her cats ever got wormed innocultaed spayed etc.
They had eye infections, twix and maggie were the second lot, they both were so poorly the vet said maggie wouldnt last the week, she had congential problems from over inter breeding too. We jsut couldnt leave them there, even though second time around we knew what we were in for, we took as many from her as we could at the time.
Since then something odd has happened, she only ahs two cats left! but they still arent spayed as her daughter told me therye expecting kittens again soon. I'm going to approach her and ask her howmany i can have, just to get them out of that place, and I will then find loving homes for them. I rang CPL so i know i can hang on to the kittens here until they can find homes for them if needs be. I just cant leave them there. She been reported to RSPCA several times, maybe thats why she cleaned up a little, but it still not on

Jac
14-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Well my very first cat was "borrowed". My partner at the time's mum had a cat, then noticed she was pregnant. Her solution to the "problem" was to drown the kittens as they were born.(she was raised on a farm, the partners Mum) Well I hit the roof. Took sookey home with me and two weeks latter she had three litle kittens at the side of my bed, about 11.30pm. Each time she had one she cryed and stopped after I stroked her and told her she would be ok. I to this day think she knew what I was saying to her.
C-Fur, well that was a flook. I was re homeing a dog with a friend, the people had a cat and Ceilidh spent the whole time with it. She was and sill is mad for cats. It turned out my friend's friend's cat had kittens. The mum was a marbell bengal who was to be spayed but took unwell at the last minute so it was post poned. Hence C-Fur.
Then I was hooked and wanted a spotted Bengal. I searched the papers, internet ect but some were just so expencive! Anyway I found a breeder in Aberdeen and phoned. Yip she had one female brown spotted left. I sent a deposit and explained I would be up the following week. (I was staying with Moli)
Moli came with me to get her and believe me I would have taken the lot. Even Moli was smitten with one of them.
Purdie was very timid but is gradually getting better. TLC usaually works as a rule. Sorry this has been so long.
Purrdie's trip home was from the breeder in Aberdeen to Peterhead, snuggled down with Casper for a wee while then from Peterhead to Edinburgh. Quite a trip but she was none the worse for it:-D and ofcourse we were all delighted with her. All I need now is my snow bengal and my cats would be complete. Unfortunatly I cant afford one just now:cry:

CJK
14-02-2006, 10:00 AM
if i could drive there are a few puddies i would hae gone to get, have seen a couple of breeders selling chinchilla persians, and one with ragdolls.

Jac
14-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Do you not have anyone who would take you if you gave them the petrol money? Most people wouldn't take it but it's nice to offer.

CJK
14-02-2006, 10:08 AM
my hubby will drive about an hour. other than that i dont have anybody here so it emans missing out on a lot of cats from decent breeders.

we went wood green sunday, but anything i liked was already reserved.

Jac
14-02-2006, 11:47 AM
I dont know about where you live but, some breeders here will email you photo's of there kittens and let you pick one from a photo. I know it's not the ame as meeting them and getting a cuddle but if you really have your heart set on a perticular type that may be the way to go. They then transp;ort them too you. Just an idea.

CJK
14-02-2006, 12:39 PM
so far ones I have emailed etc have all said they wont transport.
I know I will get one in the end, I am in no rush to find the right cat. I can keep going back to wood green now and thena nd check see if they have any

Booktigger
14-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, i haven't paid for any of my cats (although they have cost me enough in vets bills), there are a few pedigrees I wouldn't mind, but unless one came into a rescue situation at a time I was able to take another cat on, it won't happen.
Charlie (RIP) - came from the next street - her owner had died, and her son approached my neighbour (ex CP) and said that if she didn't find her a home, he would microwave her. I wasn't looking for a cat, but!!
Tigger (RIP) - although I didn't want a cat when I got Charlie, she made the house a home, so couldn't bear a house without a cat when she died, so we went to CP the day after - Tig was the only cat able to be rehomed. She had only been there a day, so they didn't charge me
Ginger - told my mum about Tig, and she told me that I was daft as Ginger was stray - although I had always seen him on the streets, he was rather large (weighed 5.5kg when I registered him after a couple of weeks!!), so I didn't think he was stray - he was so affectionate it was really easy to catch him!!
Snowy (RIP) - after Tig died, I was going to let Ginger be an only cat as he was a different cat, but after 4 months my friend took me to a shelter and although I didn't want to come home with a cat, I couldn't walk away without at least asking. So, my friend found me the ugliest oldie there!! She was free as she was part of their 'Senior Citizens' scheme - I could have got vet treatment as well, but the vet was too far, so other than her dental, I paid.
Pebbles - got a phone call off CP (who I was fostering for) 2 hours after getting back from Snowy's last trip to the vet, asking if I could help with a 10 year old. I decided to go and look at the cat, and it turned out they had been in the vets at the same time as me, so I thought it was fate. She refused to take any money, and actually gave me some - we are now best friends.
Blackie (RIP) - my friend on another forum posted about a 14 year old unsociable cat with recurring cat flu symptoms - as I knew no rescue would take her on, I offered, even though it went against my rules of not making a cat travel. Didn't occur to me to offer any money for petrol (and secretly glad, I spent over £100 on her in the 2 months I had her, and her death was their fault)
Incidentally, the time span for having all these cats has been just less than 4 years.

janey83
14-02-2006, 02:29 PM
My mum got tigger from a woman my auntie new who lived about a 3 minute drive away from us. He was free.

Moli
14-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Before I met my hubby I has 2 beautiful Tabbies..Toby & Bengi, they were to be drowned i n a bucket!!! So I took them, Toby was 18 when I lost him....

CJK
14-02-2006, 02:55 PM
It saddems me and makes me mad to think there are people so cruel out there as to let thier cats get pregnant and then dorwn the kittens.
Makes you wonder what sort of a world we live in where cruelty to animals, and children, is overlooked by so many

Sweet
14-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Violet came from a local farm

samwise
14-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Frankie was a kitten from a feral pack at the local stables and Sammy was from a farm! :D
My previous 2 girls were from CP! :D

bobbie3917
17-02-2006, 02:10 AM
i have my 2 from a breeder and mittens came from a breeder as well but the cats i had before that all came from some 1 down the road

dandysmom
18-02-2006, 03:59 AM
As far as breeders transporting: sometimes things are meant to work out. I wanted a Singapura kitten, but the breeder was in Massachussets... & I don't drive...BUT...turned out he was going to a show in Philadelphia, and one of the exhibitors, a friend of his, lived in Washington...so, he took Dandy down, she took him back to Washington and, as it turned out, her offices were only 2 blocks from where I worked!!! Picked him up on my lunch hour. & my boss, who was also a cat person told me to take the rest of the day off, as no one was going to get any work done with a bouncy, gregarious kitten exploring!!! He was a wonderful little cat (RIP) gave me hoyrs of joy. Karma??

Ruthlynn
18-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Lily came fron our local Cat Rescue!

dinahsmum
18-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, we've had 5 cats in the last 33+ years
Sissons - ad in the local paper - no charge
Roger - work colleague - no charge
Watson - ad in local paper - no charge
Tizzie - Cheltenham animal shelter - £3 or £4 can't remember which (but I gave them a fiver anyway:) )
Mini - local siamese breeder/ad in local paper - £60. My daughter's 15th birthday present. Hmm, how come she's still here? :smt017

Looks like the local paper does it for me!

Mags
18-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Cassie ~ ad in local paper - £20

smudgley
18-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Cats I've owned.

Tikka - ad in paper
Maisie - ad in paper
Mitten - from a friend -
Emily - ad in paper
Smudge - freind of a friend

I have a feeling that my next cat will be a black & white rescue cat that I think I will adopt from Cats Protection:cat33

CJK
18-02-2006, 03:06 PM
oh, and what gives you that feeling smudgley??? :shock:

smudgley
18-02-2006, 04:41 PM
:smt102

:smt002

:smt026

CJK
18-02-2006, 05:34 PM
I get a feeling I may visit the west midlands and "borrow" a few black and white kittens ina bout 8 weeks time lol