PDA

View Full Version : Gardens - raised beds

Kazz
13-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Has anyone got a raised bed in their garden and if so what are the sides raised by - bricks, blocks (concrete) wood what?

CJK
13-02-2006, 09:28 PM
i got a sunken grass bit, but only cos whoever lived here before didnt lay the grass properly and it sunk, its an area about one foot wide and four long!!! the rest is paving slabs so i cant answer that

i actually ahte my garden so much

Moli
13-02-2006, 09:34 PM
I have a triple raised bed in my garden, its done with fancy bricks....

EmmaG
13-02-2006, 09:48 PM
My two vegetable patches are raised we used old floor boards, nailed into a wooden blocks in each corner and then a metal rods inserted along the lengths to keep them in place and stop them warping, they then had a coat of garden shades paint :) They have lasted very well over 4 years now.

CJK
13-02-2006, 09:51 PM
i'm the only one with a garden that resembles step toes yard then!

EmmaG
13-02-2006, 09:57 PM
http://www.catforum.com/photos/data/500/3440IMGA0009.JPG

You can just about see them in the left of this photo

Moli
13-02-2006, 10:01 PM
i'm the only one with a garden that resembles step toes yard then!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fran
13-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Brick walls are used to retain our raised beds. Although they are not quite finished even though hubby started building these walls last summer :roll:

Donna
14-02-2006, 12:29 AM
I have a raised lawn area with is held together by those rolls of logs (previous owners idea) and my flower bed has a brick edging (again very previous owner as the bricks look ancient!!)

CJK
14-02-2006, 06:15 AM
hubby was the cause of most of my garden problems. When he lived with me he decided he was going tot ake the paving slabs up and grow grass from seeds.
He hired a small pneumatic drill, as about a foot under the mud was solid concrete. He dug up all this concrete ( i think he just liked playing with the power tools)
he then left the garden ....summer came and went........nothing

then after 7 months he moved the rubble, to a pile down the side of the house, where it remains to this day three years later, he planted some grass,,,, but it died so he shoved paving slabs back down.
i cant manage to even lift a paving slab so am stuck with it.

i cant afford a proper gardener to come and see to it, so have to put up with it.

bit like my living room. Last feb i painted it, left the tops and bottoms for hubby totouch up, as i ahd painted the woodwork and didnt want to make a mess, so what does he do? rushes to finsih it so he can watch footy, i still have pink pain on the white coving and woodwork, and still ahve no border put up.

maybe i should think again about living with him again...

dinahsmum
14-02-2006, 09:47 AM
My 'planters' are made from old railway sleepers piled on top of each other.
We had them just before the safety directive wich forbids old wood with creosote etc, but you can still get sleepers treated with other things.
The creosote still 'bleeds' out on very hot days. Actually I love the smell!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_201v.gif

CJK
14-02-2006, 09:48 AM
when iw as pregnant i used to sniff fences done with kreosote lol,lvoed the smell of it

dinahsmum
14-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Here's a link for a plastic product which makes raised beds (and other items/features)
www.link-a-bord.com (http://www.link-a-bord.com)
Haven't used it so can't pass an opinion - just happened to see it in a garden maggie.

Naomi
15-02-2006, 12:44 PM
At our old house we had a raised flowerbed. It was built up with stone. It was lovely, had roses around the edging and then little primroses in the grass area