PDA

View Full Version : Wines

dinahsmum
10-02-2006, 11:42 AM
DM (US) and I have been discussing the revival in rose wine. I thought we might get a few postings on favourites (all colours!)
Here's an article (Aug 2005) on the rose revival

ROSÉ EXPOSÉ!

What’s the hottest colour for a night out drinking with the girls? Pink of course! The UK is currently under the grips of a HUGE rosé revival. In 2004, sales of rosé wine, or blush as it is known in the USA, increased by a third on 2003. Rosé fell out of favour over the last ten years – but not anymore.
Perfect for a lively get together, rosés can be sweet, dry or medium, depending on the winemaker’s preference, but they are usually fruity with soft red berries and tones of raspberry and strawberry.
Designed to enjoy young, rosés are served chilled and come into their own on a hot summer’s day. Red wine grapes are crushed and the skins containing the colour pigment are left in contact with the juice for between 2 and 12 hours giving the winemaker the right shade of pink.

yola
10-02-2006, 11:49 AM
I was offered a glass of rose Pino Grigio in a little country pub (albeit run by a very forward-lookign Canadian). It was delicious! I usually find rose wine not quite to my taste - but this was superb!

Sorry - can't analyse it further than that . . . not really into wine-speak :cool:

dinahsmum
10-02-2006, 11:52 AM
I've been suprised too.
My trendy, London living, city-working, daughter introduced us (sent her dad 6 bottles for his birthday in the summer). I'll try and remember the name - maybe Feltzer or similar?. Lovely. But it does have connatations of summer and sitting in the evening sun in the garden, so no wonder I have happy memories!

Fran
10-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I only drink red! Like Australian and Calafornian reds..

Het
10-02-2006, 01:37 PM
I do like rose....a White Zinfandel preferably.Its perfect in summer....really light and refreshing but far too easy to drink:roll:
If I drink Red...i prefer a Riocha or a Merlot, and for White...I like Chenin Blanc, Colombard or Sauvignon.
I do like trying different ones though......its always nice opening a bottle of something you have never tried before.
I was just reading the latest Somerfield Mag and it has a recipe in that uses 7 fl oz of white wine, then it says 'the leftover wine can be frozen in ice cube trays.......etc etc' Leftover wine????????????:shock: :roll:

dinahsmum
10-02-2006, 01:39 PM
I was just reading the latest Somerfield Mag and it has a recipe in that uses 7 fl oz of white wine, then it says 'the leftover wine can be frozen in ice cube trays.......etc etc' Leftover wine????????????:shock: :roll:
Sorry - can't help you there Het :roll:

Jac
10-02-2006, 01:43 PM
I never have left over wine;) but I do enjo a rose;) ,White Zinfandel my fav.

Donna
10-02-2006, 04:42 PM
I cannot stand the taste of wine!!! And if I do try it, it keeps making me fall over. Think I am allergic!!??

dandysmom
11-02-2006, 03:54 AM
This Fall I tried a marvellous Australian rose called Nine Vines and when I went back to get a couple more bottles, it was all gone & the wine department manager informed me that people only drink rose in the Summer:roll: !! Unbelievable...so just will stick with my Pinot grigio thru the Winter; don't especailly care for Chardonnay, & am not a red wine person.

dandysmom
11-02-2006, 03:59 AM
I never have left over wine;) but I do enjo a rose;) ,White Zinfandel my fav.
White zin is another of my favorites, & also frowned upon by the wine gurus on my side of the pond:roll: you guys are so much more enlightened over there!!:-D