PDA

View Full Version : Intimidation

Donna
07-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Dont know if this is a problem, and if it is, if anything can be done to stop it, but I have noticed that Chloe seems to be rather intimidated by Misty.:?

Chloe was my first kitty and then shortly after we got Misty. They are six weeks apart in age. Chloe was so much bigger than Misty at first but now Misty has turned into a big strong girl and Chloe has stayed quite small.

When Misty comes into a room, Chloe leaves, They sometimes play fight each other and run around, but other than than ignore each other.

Tonight Chloe was laying in front of the fire and Misty came in. A fight broke out and they are now both sitting in different rooms of the house.

Should I just leave them to get on with it, or can anything be done to stop Chloe feeling so intimidated.:?

Donna
08-02-2006, 09:50 AM
No suggestions?????????????????

smudgley
08-02-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't think I can offer much advice Donna - but I'll try.
When you say they had a scrap, was it a proper fight? Were they just playing a bit too rough? What caused it? Who started it?

We origionally had a cat called Maisie & then got a kitten called Mitten. Maisie dissapeared so we got another friend for Mitten, (enter Emily) Emily loved Mitten & always wanted to play but Mitten was a "loner" & would walk off & ignore Emily or growl at her. That's when we decided to get Smudge. Best thing we ever did as Smudge & Emily are best mates & Mitten continued to do her own thing, unfortunately Mitten is no longer with us.:(

I am not suggesting for one minute that you get another cat as I don't think this is a good solution in most cases - however - in our case it WAS the right thing to do.

Maybe Chloe enjoys her own space?

Tell us more about the circumstances surrounding the fight?

Donna
08-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Most fights start when Misty gets too close to Chloe. Misty licks her and Chloe doesnt mind for a bit, but then it gets a bit heated and then big scrap starts. I never know if they are playing or fighting. Get the occasional miaow and they do seem really rough sometimes. Misty is twice Chloe's size so I get worried Chloe will get hurt. Usually ends in a stare-off with flapping tails. Until one walks away.

yola
08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Fifi and Balie used to do that when it was just the 2 of them. Balie was always alpha cat and would groom Fifi when HE wanted to. She'd get ticked off and try to walk away and he would put his paws round her neck and hold her down and groom her. This would usually escalate into a scrap and occasional biting, but nothing too vicious. They would then ignore each other for days after.

Since we introduced a 3rd cat - 1st Ferdy and now Darcy - all 3 cats spend time in separate parts of the house.

However - what I think I'm trying to say is that I think it's usual behaviour with cat pecking order and posturing/jostling for position. I would let them get on with it, but if Chloe is showing signs of stress and upset then maybe intervene if you have to.

Donna
08-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Sorry if I sound ignorant, but I assumed as Chloe was here first she would be the top cat so to speak. But Misty seems to be the one that is more outgoing and sociable and forthcoming. Has she taken Chloe's spot? Is that why Chloe is keeping her distance? Does Misty licking Chloe mean anything to do with her place in the home? Is Chloe upset I got Misty? Would another cat help diffuse the situation?

Oh dear this is so difficult. I thought they woudl be friends and company for each other whilst I am at work. Sometimes they do play chase nicely so think they do like each other, but not sure what is going on in their little cat world!

EmmaG
08-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Donna how old are the cats now?? they reach social maturity at about 2 years old, if they are younger than this I would say that they are just trying to work out the pecking order, cat dynamics can be VERY subtle, my two do play quite a bit, at first I thought they were fighted but soon read that if they are not hissing, spitting, growling when they do fight/play then the chances are they are just playing, especially if they do not draw blood on one another.

Donna
08-02-2006, 02:26 PM
They were one year old in September and October. Chloe being slightly older. When they fight it is just very rough with lots of crashes and banging on the floor. I have heard the occasional hiss and growl mainly from Chloe. Never seen any blood (and hope I never will)!

dinahsmum
08-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Think it may be normal cat behaviour?
Sometimes we try to put too many human characteristics on our pets.........
Maybe they will never be bosom-buddies - mine aren't, though they tolerate each other perfectly well.
(Oh, I'll agree that we had more harmony in our house when we had 3 cats - Watson used to keep the girls in order, particuarly Madam Siamese)

Mags
08-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Sorry I can't offer any help or suggestions Donna as have only ever had 1 cat at a time......however I hope you can get it sorted:(

Donna
08-02-2006, 02:49 PM
There seems to be a lot of people saying three cats makes for a more settled home? Am I right or am I just reading into what you are all saying wrongly??!!

I have two one year old girls. Would a male cat make the household more "right"?

Kazz
08-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Hello Donna

I will tell you something, it sounds just like my Oscar and Cleo, :roll: they lived together all their lives, yet still up to the day before I had Oscar PTS they carried on as you are describing, Oscar was twice if not a little more than the size of Cleo, and at first I was like you scared and concerned but eventually I came to realise they are being just cats, to the end you could never tell who was in charge.
Although Cleo could change food dishes mid mouthful and Oscar would move out of the way:roll: he was kinda laid back but she choose which dish she ate from and he would move, same as the bed at night Oscar couldn't get on if Cleo was already there he had to creep round the other side but she could get on and walk over him:roll: But Cleo would move if Oscar rolled over and they would always wash each other at night.
They often had squabbles heated catawalling setting the dogs off and bringing me running fur flying the works tails fluffed up and ears back but it was over as fast as it started but most of the time they were happy in each others company:D and would come together to fight/keep out intruders:-D when one of the was off colour the other washed them, kept them comfortable. They were friends who had disagreements but I put it down to character.
Make sure they have somewhere to be alone if they want to, and I wouldn't interevene unless you can't stand it any more.
Cleo would push her luck occasionaly, and Oscar would beat her up but never an inury or drop of blood was spilt, it was more noise and furflying than anything. Thank God. And mine could growl more than the dogs.:roll: The size issue always made me think it was Oscar to blame but eventually I decided it was 50/50 or more 60/40 being Cleo starting it. But its a cat thing, something you live with with more than 1 cat.
I'm sure you;ll have many happy years with them they'll sort it out.
Take care Karen

Kazz
08-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Where more than 1 animal lives; you will have issues. Two people arguments, two dogs arguments, two cats arguments, its the way of the World. I would leave it as it is adding an unknown to the household could make it worse not better.:-D Who knows what character the new cat would have could make it worse. If it ain't broke don;t fix it,

Elaine
08-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi Donna, I would tend to agree with the others and especially what kazz has said above. We got a 3rd cat in November thinking it would be a good idea to have a companion for Eva as she is young and Winston is very old. We are still doing the intro's to this day:? Thats not to say that it would be as difficult for you and your cats but it shouldnt be rushed into.
Playing can help boost a cats confidence though. Just a thought.;)

Donna
08-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Playing can help boost a cats confidence though. Just a thought.;)

Do play with Chloe most evenings - she has a "fluffy tail" on a stick which is her favourite!!:-D But again, when playing with Chloe, Misty always butts in:roll: