PDA

View Full Version : Tate's been at it again.

Kay
07-02-2006, 01:41 AM
Hopefully we have a second litter on the way. This time Tate has been busy mating Phoebe. Fingers crossed all goes well for her this time. She had six kittens last time. She had to have a section because she didn't go into labour at all. Due to recovery time after the shock of the section she lost 3 kittens.

bobbie3917
07-02-2006, 01:46 AM
fingers crossed for her then Kay

Kay
07-02-2006, 01:53 AM
fingers crossed for her then Kay

Thanks Nat. She was such a good mum she deserves it to all go right. It isn't a mating I would normally do as Tate is her dad. She went to my friends stud cat last time but after trying on 3 seperate occasions to get her mated, pinked up and then brought home to have the babies with no success, due to severe fear of the car causing her to re-absorb each time, I had to leave her at my friends. Whether the change in household made her not go into labour I don't know. I thought I would try and keep everything normal for her this time and the only way to do that was to mate her with her dad. Hopefully it will be sucessful. :? :? :?

Jac
07-02-2006, 03:01 AM
Sorry to sound ignorant but is that not "in" breeding? Is it safe in cats then? whats the scoop?

Kay
07-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Sorry to sound ignorant but is that not "in" breeding? Is it safe in cats then? whats the scoop?

Yes, Jac it is called in-breeding and is done fairly often, although not as often with such a close mating as father/daughter or mother/son. You have to now your lines well and make sure that there is no genetic faults anywhere in the pedigree. It can instill the very best of your cats features but also if there is anything bad it can also bring them out more. This particular mating only has an inbreeding percentage of 25%. Hope this clarifies this for you Jac. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Naomi
07-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Good luck!

Kay
07-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Good luck!

Thank. Will keep everyone posted.;) ;) ;)

Fran
07-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Good luck Kay!! Hope all goes well for Phoebe :)

CJK
08-02-2006, 08:41 AM
call me ignorant but i still dont see how ANY interbreeding is ok.

borderdawn
08-02-2006, 12:25 PM
2 litters in such quick succession, thats a lot Kay, do you normally breed so many litters?
Dawn.

borderdawn
08-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Just read my post again, I didnt mean it to sound harsh Kay, just interested really.
Dawn.

deester
09-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Fingers crossed for pheobe - hope all goes well kay.

Kay
11-02-2006, 01:43 AM
call me ignorant but i still dont see how ANY interbreeding is ok.

If there are genetic faults in the lines then it is not a sensible option but it can emphasise extremely good traits e.g good eye colour, clear coats etc. Sometimes it has to be used because the gene pool is so small. After all any of the breeds were originally all interbred else we would never have had the different breeds.:) :) :)

Kay
11-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Just read my post again, I didnt mean it to sound harsh Kay, just interested really.
Dawn.

Not a problem Dawn. I usually only breed my girls once a year so at present I will have three litters this year, fingers crossed. I wanted Phoebe to have her litter just after Leila in case she had any problems again. Leila is an excellent mother and would be able to foster Phoebe's kittens if needed, she has done this before. I will mate Jilly, my other girl, a little later on but as I never want to sell kittens around Christmastime, for obvious reasons, it will be in the springtime. She is going to my friends stud.

Thanks Deester.