PDA

View Full Version : As you get older would you change your breed?

Kazz
05-02-2006, 06:58 PM
This applies I think to dog owners rather than the cat owners but please everyone feel free to reply the more the merrier :-D

As we are all getting older, a fact no one can deny.

I wondered as you do will you change your breed of dog? to something smaller, due possibly to your changing circumstances ie downsizing housewise, to a breed requiring less walking, less strength etc or stay with your present breed?

Take care Karen

Mags
05-02-2006, 07:05 PM
I am not a dog owner but ever since my childhood days I have wanted a boxer......now I am in my http://bestsmileys.com/mouthzippedshut/2.gifand I would still like a boxer:roll: :lol:

If I had another cat it would be a moggy again:-P

CathyW
05-02-2006, 07:05 PM
no as im hoping ben will be around for a few years yet, and hes a dog thats happy with a short walk as much as a long walk,hes a laid back lazy type dog :lol:

Kazz
05-02-2006, 07:18 PM
My two girls are only youngsters now 3 and 18 months but say they go until average Staffie age 16-17 then I will be in my mid 50's (no where near old) but I will then be banging on Scotbun's (SBT rescue's) door and rehoming older Staffies who find it harder to be rehomed.
So I won't change my breed as such but will become an owner of OAP Staffies.

Moli
05-02-2006, 07:20 PM
I would do the same as you Kazz, when my Staffies, who are 6yrs & 18 months get to 16-17, I will be a lot older than you!!!
Then I would take on a oldie staff or boxer...

Kazz
05-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I would do the same as you Kazz, when my Staffies, who are 6yrs & 18 months get to 16-17, I will be a lot older than you!!!
Then I would take on a oldie staff or boxer...

Great minds Moli, great minds, ;)

Moli
05-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I have always wanted a Bull Mastiff..Too late now:(

Don't think I would take on anymore pedigree cats though, probably an older moggie..........;)

bobbie3917
05-02-2006, 08:15 PM
i would do the same as both pat and Kazz
when i get a lot older i would take an older Stafford on but say after that then yes i may think of a diffrenet breed as most Staffords i have know are still as mad as pups in the early teens. so then i would think of maybe a small terrier or the like but then again i would also want an older 1

smudgley
05-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Always had Bullmastiffs & Border Terriers as well as a Rotti & a lab.
Now only have a FCR.
I think the next dog we have will be a CKCS - but not for a few years.

Never had a pedigree cat.

Fran
05-02-2006, 09:11 PM
I have always wanted a Bull Mastiff..Too late now:(

Don't think I would take on anymore pedigree cats though, probably an older moggie..........;)

Thought your hubby was anti - moggie Moli :?

Moli
05-02-2006, 09:35 PM
He is PK, But by the time my boys are gone, hopfully he won't bother so much!!:roll: :lol:

dinahsmum
06-02-2006, 09:30 AM
Hope this is a decision I won't have to make for many years. However, it is something which slips through my mind now and again. I swither between various options but, probably, would look for a rescue lurcher - post-puppy age.
They are quiet in the house, don't need a lot of exercise (a mad 10 minutes off lead will do them!) and are a nice size - you don't have to get your creaky bodies down low to look after them!

Moli
06-02-2006, 10:24 AM
you don't have to get your creaky bodies down low to look after them!

Sounds about right DM!!:lol: :lol: Must admit I am begining to creak a bit!!

Naomi
06-02-2006, 10:31 AM
That's a toughie. Due to my own ill health we've already had to make that decision re: changing breed. I'd love to own another stafford but right now it just isn't gonna happen :( I wouldn't mind possibly owning a rottie (hubby loves rotties) or a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

As for cats, moggies everytime :D

yola
06-02-2006, 11:09 AM
I can't speak for dogs, but cat-wise I would always opt for Persians. Only I think I will now try and seek out rescue Persians as I think they are quite misunderstood and difficult to re-home.

I have a secret hankering for a Siamese but deep down, I think I'm Persian through-and-through :D

Kazz
06-02-2006, 12:52 PM
That's a toughie. Due to my own ill health we've already had to make that decision re: changing breed. I'd love to own another stafford but right now it just isn't gonna happen :( I wouldn't mind possibly owning a rottie (hubby loves rotties) or a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

As for cats, moggies everytime :D

Naomi a Rottie I wuld think needs as much if not more excercise than a Staffie I would of thought, but a CKCS you could be on the right track:-D Or whippet.

Naomi
06-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Ah that's the beauty of it Kazz, hubby wants it he can look after it :D