PDA

View Full Version : National Service?

Jac
05-02-2006, 11:59 AM
Here's a good one for all us quiet CP'ers.

My views on national service are as follows, and I wondered what yours wrere.
It was one of the worst things to be stopped.
I think it should be brought back for the following reasons..

Alot of the youth of today have no self worth, pride or respect. They think "I'm not bothered about a job I'll sign on" and I'm talking from experiance as a mum to 6.
If a kid leaves school doesnt want to work then they should be drafted for 2 years national service. If they go to "sign on" the same.
However if you are anti social and get into trouble instead of a fine or prison. Two years national service.
That would take alot of pressure off the so called prison service, tax payers money and give these people a taste of working together as a team ect.
It would help our under manned and over streatched services and give these people self worth. What do you think?

Jac
05-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Ooops posted this twice:oops: :oops: :oops:

Elaine
05-02-2006, 12:17 PM
In my youth I used to think that was a very right wing view of things but as i get older the more right wing I am becoming LOL
My partner was in the forces for 13 years and wishes he never left it.
I think its pretty obvious that prison is no deterant for alot of people and that the methadone project doesnt work for most.
I work in a busy central post office, which is situated inside a mini market. We watch all the wasters coming in for their benefits, most cannt say please or thankyou! We then watch them help themselves to some shopping, and not pay for it. Shop staff try to tackle some but are extremely warey of others and to honest I wouldnt tackle them either.
My personal view is that we have gone too far to the left as far as discapline etc goes, we live in a culture where criminals have more rights than victims.
So yes I agree something has to give and that National Service may make all the difference!;)

Jac
05-02-2006, 12:26 PM
It's too easy to get something for nothing. I mean the benefit system and housing. Something has to change! My stepson told the doc he has a drink prob so when he went to sign on he gets a drink allowance! Do you believe that!!!!
My step daughter was fed up living with her Mum, got pregnant, a house and everything is paid for her!!! No wonder were as a country in such a mess.

Mags
05-02-2006, 12:46 PM
I agree with you Jac, I think it should be brought back. My brother was one of the last ones to serve his National Service before they stopped it. He was in the (Glorious) Glosters Regiment and was sent to Cyprus for 18 months of his two years. There was ongoing conflict at that time but he wasn't actually directly involved in it.
He said it was one of the best experiences of his life....he was taught so much about discipline, self preservation and respect.
Things have changed so much since those days:roll:

yola
05-02-2006, 01:22 PM
I agree wholeheartedly Jac (not much of a debate so far - eh)???

Seriously, I think it would help today's youth grow up and face up to responsibilities, learn about teamwork and helping others and about the fact that you have to work to get somewhere rather than sitting on your bum.

Although I don't agree with the concept of war, I do think that some kind of disciplinary/regimented framework such as national service would give the country the shot in the arm it needs.

Naomi
05-02-2006, 03:08 PM
IF it's to stop youngsters 'signing on' cos they are too damned lazy to get off their fat backsides and get a job or to try to prevent youngsters reoffending then Yes I agree with it.

However if it's to be compulsary across the board that as soon as youngsters leave school they have to go into National Service then No I wouldn't agree with it.

Elaine
05-02-2006, 07:27 PM
In my youth I used to think that was a very right wing view of things but as i get older the more right wing I am becoming LOL
My partner was in the forces for 13 years and wishes he never left it.
I think its pretty obvious that prison is no deterant for alot of people and that the methadone project doesnt work for most.
I work in a busy central post office, which is situated inside a mini market. We watch all the wasters coming in for their benefits, most cannt say please or thankyou! We then watch them help themselves to some shopping, and not pay for it. Shop staff try to tackle some but are extremely warey of others and to honest I wouldnt tackle them either.
My personal view is that we have gone too far to the left as far as discapline etc goes, we live in a culture where criminals have more rights than victims.
So yes I agree something has to give and that National Service may make all the difference!:wink:

Donna
05-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Agree something has to be done about the wasters and petty criminals and spongers of society. Think people on benefits that just dont want to work should have to do National Service. Also people in prison already deserve to learn what it is to respect.

I cannot imagine where we are going with the way things are today - kids just dont want to learn and respect people. They just expect it all to be given to them. They have to put something in to get something back and if they cannot put the effort in to get qualifications and a good job then they should be made to do National Service.

Kay
06-02-2006, 02:06 PM
I do agree with what is being said on here but I am also a little upset. I am on e of those people on benefit and I would not consider myself to be a waster. I cannot get a job as I have two disabled children to care for as a single mum because their father, who has got a job, couldn't cope. No employer would give me the time of work that is needed to care for my children as they have a lot of hospital appointments all over the country. I did intend going back to work, all be it part time, after the birth of my eldest but things don't always work out the way we want them. So please do not class everyone on benefits as wasters there are some out there that are genuine.

yola
06-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Kay - there is a huge difference between scroungers and those who have a genuine reason for not being able to work. I think everyone is of the opinion that there are people who make a life choice not to work and will do everything in their power to avoid taking a job.

Kay
06-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Kay - there is a huge difference between scroungers and those who have a genuine reason for not being able to work. I think everyone is of the opinion that there are people who make a life choice not to work and will do everything in their power to avoid taking a job.

Thanks Yola. I get a bit sick of comments. Sorry I let rip.:oops: :oops: :oops:

yola
06-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Don't worry m'dear. Sounds like you have an awful lot on your plate :(

((((hugs))))

Jac
06-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Kay
I think there is a world of diffrence between you and benefit scroungers. I was talking about todays youth. Lack of respect, not wanting to work you know the world ows me attitude.
I myself am disabled and get benefits but untill my accident held down at least one job, mostly two.

Kay
06-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Kay
I think there is a world of diffrence between you and benefit scroungers. I was talking about todays youth. Lack of respect, not wanting to work you know the world ows me attitude.
I myself am disabled and get benefits but untill my accident held down at least one job, mostly two.

Thanks Jac. It's not easy is it. I too held down ajob from leaving school till I had my eldest, that was eight years in the same job which I didn't particularly like but it paid a half decent wage. I agree they don't seem to want to work anymore.

Thanks once more Yola.

Donna
06-02-2006, 09:35 PM
I do agree with what is being said on here but I am also a little upset. I am on e of those people on benefit and I would not consider myself to be a waster. I cannot get a job as I have two disabled children to care for as a single mum because their father, who has got a job, couldn't cope. No employer would give me the time of work that is needed to care for my children as they have a lot of hospital appointments all over the country. I did intend going back to work, all be it part time, after the birth of my eldest but things don't always work out the way we want them. So please do not class everyone on benefits as wasters there are some out there that are genuine.

Didnt meant to upset you Kay - I get annoyed at the people who CAN work, but wont by choice and just live off everyone else. You CANT work for legitimate reasons - I do not include you or anyone like you caring for disabled children or similar.

Kay
07-02-2006, 01:19 AM
Didnt meant to upset you Kay - I get annoyed at the people who CAN work, but wont by choice and just live off everyone else. You CANT work for legitimate reasons - I do not include you or anyone like you caring for disabled children or similar.

Thanks Donna. I didn't mean to get upset with anyone on here. It is these very people that make us genuine people tarred with the same brush.:mad: :mad: :mad:

CJK
08-02-2006, 11:37 AM
god knowsit should never have been stopped.
I also reckon that instead of giving these yopbbos stupid namby pamby punishments like community service etc, send em away for few months national service, if they misbehave while there make em stay longer.

This country is far too soft on offenders, training them, tacheing them new skills, finding them homes. OFten they sit in prisons with cable / satellite tv, etc.

I do agree with rehabilitating them etc, but theyre there for punishment. I dont get free education etc.
Make all prisons run by the army, how many soldierd sent to the glass house re-offend? nowhere near as many as in civilian prisons.

bring back national service, get the yobs off the streets,a nd send the parents too, most parents these days dont know or give a damn what thier kids are up to!