PDA

View Full Version : Did something naughty last night

Booktigger
31-01-2006, 01:31 PM
I have been monitoring one of the neighbourhood cats for months now, I Thought it was a stray cos he was thin in the summer, but found his owner, so didn't feel there was much I could do, so have been deliberately walking that way to places to keep an eye on him. The other week he was sat on someone elses doorstep, so I knocked on there pretending I dind't know the cat in case I could find something out, but they didn't let on. Anyway, last night I was coming home from my friends, and he was sat outside, went to say hello, and there was no sign of life in his house. As I stroked him, I realised he was painfully thin, and there was frost on the cars it was that cold (and only 9pm), so I picked him up and took him home - he kept growling at me and attempting to struggle, but we got home in one piece. I gave him some food, and he sat there growling while eating it. I borrowed a cage off the neighbours to keep him in overnight, but the woman I foster for said I have to at least talk to the owners tonight, and see if they are wiling to relinquish him. I hope they are, I don't want to have to take him back. HE is a lovely friendly cat, didn't try and go for me once, and he needs a lot of building up, not being left out in cold temperatures.

dinahsmum
31-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Oh you are brave!
and good.................................
Good luck, whatever happens
Poor old boy :(

Booktigger
31-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I think more like 'stupid' - I already had 6 cats in the house, and that is my limit, but I did have 7 last night. Oh well, at least he had a nice warm house and some food last night. And will see what they say tonight.

yola
31-01-2006, 02:34 PM
No - you're not stupid at all - you're just a kind person with a good heart :D

I will forever regret the day that I walked past a small, thin cat and didn't bring it home with me. I rang the RSPCA and CP and thay both said that I should try to find out who the cat belonged to.

When I went back I couldn't find the cat - and didn't see it again. I wish I had just taken it home :(

Booktigger
31-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Hmm!! I have been monitoring this cat for months though, as both me, and the rescue I have been fostering for have been full for ages - I still am, but couldn't leave him when I realised how thin he was and how cold it was. I just hope the owners are willing to relinquish him tonight or I will have to take him back. :(

samwise
31-01-2006, 05:20 PM
I hope you get to keep him!!!
He sounds like he needs some serious TLC!!!

Booktigger
31-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I won't be keeping him - I am a fosterer, so we need to see if he will relinquish ownership to the charity. I hope the charity will then take him on, as 6 cats is hard enough, esp as they don't all get on. 2 are going in a couple of weeks though. He needs a lot of building up, and I don't like letting cats like that go!!

Moli
31-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Hope they give him up to the charity, then at least he will be looked after properly!!

Donna
31-01-2006, 06:29 PM
Think you were good, not bad, to do what you did. I hope the owner does let him go. They obviously dont seem to care for the poor kitty. Keep us informed how you get on.

Mags
31-01-2006, 07:26 PM
I hope things will be sorted out for this poor kitty.......and well done you for caring!

Kazz
31-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi Booktigger
Nice to meet you, what a lovely thing to do foster cats, good for you. And what you did for the cat was a lovely thing and if he is being neglected I hope they do sign him over.
But a word of caution maybe a it strong but can't think of another word :roll: but my old cat Oscar in his later years looked painfully thin - because he had Chronic Renal Failure but he was well loved, cared for and fed. But there again I wouldn't have left him out in the cold. No way just a word of advice though he may havea food allergy or something.

Take care Karen

Fran
31-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Well done for caring!! Realy hope this has a happy outcome for this little fellow...keep us informed

Booktigger
31-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Well, I feel a bit terrible tonight!! The house where I always see him was in darkness again tonight, but something made me knock on the neighbours door - and it turns out that is where he lives!! They first sounded concerned when I asked if their neighbours had a cat, then relieved when I said I had him, and grateful when I said I would bring him back!! Turns out he is at least 15, and that is what they have put his thinness down to. I have told them that thinness in elderly cats is normally due to an illness rather than age, and left it at that. So, it might not have been that he would have been left out too long, just that I was looking at the wrong house!! Fortunately though they didn't seem too annoyed. so I am back to saying morning to this cat, so will be keeping an eye on him. He doesn't look that old either - wish I had taken a pic of him now.

Fran
31-01-2006, 11:25 PM
:? :? :?

Often things are just not as straight forward as they seem are they :roll:

Well done for caring and let us know how he gets on...

Booktigger
31-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Certainly not in this case - I did have niggles last night cos I knew he had an owner, and it didn't matter how many people told me that i was doing it for the cats welfare, I still wasn't convinced. So does look like my gut instinct was right.

Kazz
31-01-2006, 11:56 PM
Hi Booktigger I am pleased you have found his owner and they do care, I wouldn't have been annyed either just relieved he was okay and someone cared enough to step in, and help him and that he wasn't hurt.;)

Did he have a "baggy" belly undercarriage i most eldery cats do, and lots don't look their age:roll: '
I mean here is an example my Cleo does she look 23?:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/Cleonewyearsday2006.jpg

Booktigger
01-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I think I would just be relieved/grateful. She is adorable, and certainly doesn't look his age. Not that I noticed, I think he was too thin for that. People are surprised at Molly's age as she is a tiny cat, so they think she must be a kitten.

Kazz
01-02-2006, 12:07 AM
I hope they at least listened to your advice and take him to the vet. Take care and good on you for caring, and there is a small cat by me and I always have to look at her twice yet I know she must be at least 7 by now.Looks deceive:roll: don't they - I mean you'd only have to look at me to know :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll:

bobbie3917
01-02-2006, 02:36 AM
glad it all worked out well for you and him
but lets hope that they do try to keep him in more at nite as it is so so cold right now

CatGirl
02-02-2006, 01:20 PM
I think if it had been me,i would have taken him in,and said nowt!! The "owners" certainly wouldn't miss him, as they don't seem to care.What is that saying-what the eye doesn't see,the heart ???? dunno the rest.(Senior moment) Give him a cuddle from me.xxx

Booktigger
02-02-2006, 01:28 PM
yes, but them not caring didnt turn out to be the case, and with his age, and possible medical condition, taking him into the rescue could have been a bad thing for him - I wouldn't have been able to keep him cos of being so close to where he came from, and he prob would have ended up in the rescue long term (not to mention the rescue wouldnt have been happy as he wouldn't have been signed over, and that could get us in trouble) - this way he is with people he knows and loves, and has his independence.
Incidentally, I haven't seen him out since I took him home, so that is good.

Kazz
02-02-2006, 02:51 PM
I agree with you Booktigger, I had an elderly cat (23) who had Chronic Renal Failure and he lost a little weight and sometimes looked like he had been dragged through a hedge backwards, and unkempt and trying to keep him in was a nightmare he was really happy being outside. He never went far from home in his later years but outside the same, and from the outside looking in it may have looked similar to this case, that I did not care, when in truth the reality was "he was loved, cared for, fed, brushed, cuddled and fussed over" yet some days you couldn't tell to look at him.:roll:
I would have been frantic as I said before in the thread if someone had taken him from me, yet relieved he was back. No one can say someone does not care, this cat sounds similar to my Oz - independant and thats something I would not take away from my Oscar or any cat. And he was independant and loved up to and beyond the moment he was PTS.

By the way his sister is totally different - she is a proper home body, and prefers staying in or a saunter in the garden to going out out - they have always been the way they are, different.

I think for what its worth Booktigger that you did the right thing, give it a little while then pop and ask how he is if his owners are like me they will welcome your "kindheart" and you may forma friendship. Cats have a habit of doing that for you.
Karen