PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Fry

Kazz
25-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Anyone watching Stephen Fry trace his family history on BBC2?/Its excellent makesme want to trace mine but I bet mine never went further than Kidderminster Mom's side and B'ham Dad's side ;)

Naomi
26-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I didn't see but I wanna trace my family history. I know my family on my mum's side were Irish but other than that......

yola
26-01-2006, 03:39 PM
It was a lovely programme. Stephen Fry came across as a really lovely chap . . . it's amazing how far back he could trace his history and it was desperately sad that so many of his family members perished in nazi camps.

I envy those that are able to trace their families; I have a rough outline on my father's side but as my Mum was alone at 13 (due to the war) she has nobody to ask who is able to shed light much beyond her grandparents (i.e., her own memory). :(

Kazz
26-01-2006, 05:37 PM
It was a lovely programme. Stephen Fry came across as a really lovely chap . . . it's amazing how far back he could trace his history and it was desperately sad that so many of his family members perished in nazi camps.

I envy those that are able to trace their families; I have a rough outline on my father's side but as my Mum was alone at 13 (due to the war) she has nobody to ask who is able to shed light much beyond her grandparents (i.e., her own memory). :(

Hi Yola, It was the Jewish connection; s sad and he came across I agree as a lovely man. Really caring and thoughtful, same as Shelia Hannock last week in fact all of the celebrities whohave traced their history have come across as nice people.

If your Mom has her birth certificate or her parents marriage certificate then she can start or you can start to trace back, may take time but may be worth the effort.:)

I am trying to trace mine back and going okay.

Karen

yola
26-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Kazz - both my folks are from Poland. Where my Dad lived is now in the Ukraine - nobody even speaks Polish there now. All I know is that the family 'tomb' still stands but thankfully my Aunt did me a family tree - sadly a lot of this side of the family perished at the hands of the Russians in WWII.

My Mum was 13 when a nazi bomb fell on the apartment block in Warsaw where her family (Mum, gran aunt, uncle) lived. She was at a friends flat across the courtyard, else she too would not be here now. Her parents separated when she was very small (they were both in their teens and both their sets of parents 'got involved' :( ). All I know is his name, and that he was probably in Paris when the war kicked off, as he was a bit of a spoilt little rich 'playboy' as my Mum calls him :cool: . I've searched his name on the internet but come up with nothing. my Mum also tried to locate missing members just after the war but found no one remaining.

Anyway - sorry about the essay :roll: I thought Sheila Hancock was also uber-sweet - it was really touching that there was a pic of John Thaw behind her at times when she was talking. Like keeping him involved in the search so to speak. :-)

dinahsmum
26-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Darn! Meant to watch that (and the Sheila Hancock one :roll: )
Have the J Paxman one recorded - was it any good?
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_17_3.gif