PDA

View Full Version : Do you have Cats and dogs

Kazz
25-01-2006, 08:31 PM
I wondered how many of you on here have cats as well as dogs,

I have two Staffs Sal (3) and Tess (20 month):shock: where does time go.

As well as the cats, so whoelse has cats and dogs and what breed?

Karen

dinahsmum
25-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Hello Karen (Kazz)
I am Hilary and I have 2 cats - Tizzie 17+ and Mini 15+, and I have Dinah who is a black brindle staffordshire bull terrier who is 18 months old :roll:
:lol:

(but I guess you didn't mean me?)

Jac
25-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Well I have a white boxer boy called Blue, he just turned 3 before Christmas.

C-Fur cross bengal roughly 8 months

Purrdie bengal roughly 10 months and yes the cats rule the house.
I often have foster dogs and visiting dogs. They all seem to get on fine. If in doubt the cats hide.

EmmaG
25-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Just two cats for me, I would love a dog though, but not until we are at home more. I would love to have a Newfoundland or a St Bernard :)

dinahsmum
25-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Just two cats for me, I would love a dog though, but not until we are at home more. I would love to have a Newfoundland or a St Bernard :)
Wow - start big then Emma?

Fran
25-01-2006, 08:47 PM
I have 5 moggies and 2 Labrador Retriever bitches....oh and the occasional 10 or 11 puppies on the go too ;)

EmmaG
25-01-2006, 08:47 PM
DM I don't do things by halfs :-D :roll: I love dogs but I couldn't stand a small yappy dog. I love the bigger breed of dogs.

I remember about 4 years ago me and my OH when to a local Country Show and they have a branch of the Newfoundland Club, and there was one quite young (1 year old) female Newfoundland there, obviously she was quite big :shock: and she was a gorgeous caramel colour. I totally fell in love with her, and was a bit apprehensive about approaching her but her owner assured me that she was very gentle and I made a real fuss of her and she wagged her tail like mad :-D That was it I was besotted with the breed.

borderdawn
25-01-2006, 09:05 PM
4 dogs and 4 Cats.
DAwn,

Moli
25-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Boxer
2 staffies,
4 Cats.............

Mags
25-01-2006, 09:23 PM
1 cat
No dogs (cos OH isn't a dog lover:cry: )

Moli
25-01-2006, 09:25 PM
1 cat
No dogs (cos OH isn't a dog lover:cry: )Someone needs to have a word in Mr Mags ear!!!!:roll: :roll: :lol: Tell him you would sleep better if you walked a dog everyday!!:lol: :lol:

Donna
25-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Just two cats for me, not at home during the day so it would not be right to have a dog.

Mags
25-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Someone needs to have a word in Mr Mags ear!!!!:roll: :roll: :lol: Tell him you would sleep better if you walked a dog everyday!!:lol: :lol:
Brilliant idea Moli!:lol:

Moli
25-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Brilliant idea Moli!:lol:Ah! But would it work?? it would have to be a boxer too, as they need a good walk!!:lol: .............

CJK
25-01-2006, 09:38 PM
i either had one or the other, but i prefer cats. I would love a chiouhoua though

Elaine
25-01-2006, 09:47 PM
I have 3 cats and would really love to have a couple of basset hounds. O/H is not really a doggy person but said if we got one it would have to be a Rottwieller. I am scared of them and O/H is ex army and there fore he thinks he is Macho man LOL. He's a big pussy really.;)

bobbie3917
25-01-2006, 09:52 PM
minxs 4 months Sacrlott 1.1 years
Grace coming up 2 and Ozzie also 4 months

and if you ask me the cats are harder work, well that was the case before i had Oz :lol:

CathyW
25-01-2006, 10:03 PM
3 cats and 1 large hairy hound :Dbut he thinks hes a cat :lol:

smudgley
25-01-2006, 10:24 PM
I have a FCR

Luke
25-01-2006, 10:54 PM
2 cats and 2 terriers, possibly a third terrorist....opps i meant terrier, soon...

Jac
25-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Someone needs to have a word in Mr Mags ear!!!!:roll: :roll: :lol: Tell him you would sleep better if you walked a dog everyday!!:lol: :lol:

Would you like me to have a word?? I can even find the perfect Boxer:lol:

Mags
25-01-2006, 11:07 PM
:lol: @ Jac!

Jac
25-01-2006, 11:10 PM
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I'm shy remember

Kim
26-01-2006, 12:36 AM
We have 4 cats and 1 dog but until last month we had 2 dogs. :cry:

Kay
26-01-2006, 02:29 AM
9 Persian cats, 1 Border Collie, 1 Jack Russell Terrier and a Bullmastiff.

CJK
26-01-2006, 09:43 AM
oh. I'm off to Find where kay lives if she has 9 persians!!!! MIght nap a few

Donna
26-01-2006, 03:07 PM
Do any of you that have dogs leave them alone during the day or is that just cruel??????????????????

Jeanette
26-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi all

I'm Jeanette. I have Oliver a 10 (in march) year old cat and Luna, my chocolate labrador.

I work fulltime, and I'm single, so Luna and Oliver are alone home all day.. Can't see that's cruel as she sleeps..

samwise
26-01-2006, 06:07 PM
I am Lianne.
I have 2 red setters (full time) and 2 Goldies (for 6-8mnths a year). I have 2 moggies. One is a deaf, white, female called Frankie. The other is a brown and black tabby called Sammy!

samwise
26-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Do any of you that have dogs leave them alone during the day or is that just cruel??????????????????
I am lucky! My Dad looks after my dogs while I am at work. I send them off with their packed lunch!!!:D :D And pick them up after work.

Jac
26-01-2006, 06:46 PM

I think that depends on what the dog is used too.

Jeanette
26-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I think that depends on what the dog is used too.

Yes I think so too. Luna has been taught to be alone home since she was 3 months old..

And I spend all the time I'm home with her.. I dont leave her, when I get home.. or in the weekends.. Where I go, she goes..

Donna
26-01-2006, 07:18 PM
what about introducing a dog to a cat household?? Is that a good idea/bad idea???? not had a dog (my mum did so used to all sorts of dogs) but these things do go round my head from time to time!

Jeanette
26-01-2006, 07:23 PM
what about introducing a dog to a cat household?? Is that a good idea/bad idea???? not had a dog (my mum did so used to all sorts of dogs) but these things do go round my head from time to time!

Hi again

Oliver was almost 7 years old, when I got Luna... I think its best, that if you do get a dog, that you get a puppy.

Oliver lived the first four months on top of my cupboard (except when he had to use the litterbox).. But then he slowly came round.

Now they are friends.. They dont sleep together, like you see Moli's do... But Oliver is coming over to Luna for a headwash every time we've been out on a walk or at training or something like that.. At night, Oliver lies on a pillow next to my head and Luna lies on the bed aswell.. next to me..

It takes time, but it can be done.. Hilary (Dinahsmum) also had cats when she got Dinah..

And I think Fran may have too and Karen must have I think..

Jac
26-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Are you thinking about getting a dog then Donna?

The dog would be courious as would the cats. They would sort it out themselfs.

Donna
26-01-2006, 07:35 PM
I dont know Jac!!! My daughter constantly goes on about a dog. She likes those white west highland terriors. I was thinking more of a alsation or rotweiller or something to scare the ex away!!!!

Luke
26-01-2006, 07:38 PM
I dont know Jac!!! My daughter constantly goes on about a dog. She likes those white west highland terriors. I was thinking more of a alsation or rotweiller or something to scare the ex away!!!!
Eh terriers cane be pretty off putting when they get going, i certainly know that none of our neighbours or locals would want too tangle with our two. Westie's are great lil dogs, full of bounce and make fab family pets.
You should deffo get a dog Donna, you could join us on 'the other side' then:lol:

Jac
26-01-2006, 07:39 PM
:D @ Donna. Sounds good;)

Donna
26-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Trouble with a dog is that I do work part time. I do 9-3 Monday to Friday. Not really fair to have a dog if it is on its own a lot. Would enjoy the dog walking tho. And I need to have a reason to go walking and the exercise would be good for me. I just dont know what sort of dogs there are. And what ones are more suitable than others.

Fran
26-01-2006, 07:52 PM
My cats were here first before my dogs and agree that a puppy is probably the way to go but I do think with the hours you work that it would be totally unfair on a puppy unless you had some support i.e. someone who can come and feed and play with your puppy whilst you are at work. Puppies under 12 weeks old need feeding four times a day and become very bored and hence distructive if left alone for long periods. ..

Donna
26-01-2006, 07:58 PM
My cats were here first before my dogs and agree that a puppy is probably the way to go but I do think with the hours you work that it would be totally unfair on a puppy unless you had some support i.e. someone who can come and feed and play with your puppy whilst you are at work. Puppies under 12 weeks old need feeding four times a day and become very bored and hence distructive if left alone for long periods. ..

Agree Fran, thats why I have the cats. They do not need 24 hour a day attention. They have the flap to go in/out. A dog is more reliant on people. I would have no one else nearby to help out which is why I went down the cat route rather than the dog route when getting a pet.

Kim
26-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Trouble with a dog is that I do work part time. I do 9-3 Monday to Friday. Not really fair to have a dog if it is on its own a lot. Would enjoy the dog walking tho. And I need to have a reason to go walking and the exercise would be good for me. I just dont know what sort of dogs there are. And what ones are more suitable than others.

I would say that a puppy is definitely out of the question, but how about a rescue adult dog? A greyhound is ideal, contrary to popular belief they don't needs tons of exercise and they are usually real couch potatoes. Most are excellent on the lead and great with children and other dogs. Of course if he is a retired racer you must make sure you get one that has been tested cat friendly. I work 9-3, Mon-Thurs (plus 1 night and 1 evening, but OH is there then.) I always come home at lunchtime to give Daisy a 10 minute walk, as I personally think it is unfair to expect her to be left for those hours alone and without being able to go to the toilet. I always leave her a filled kong in case she gets bored and she has the run of the house. We give her a 45 minute walk in the morning and about the same in the evening, she has extra long walks at the week-ends. That is more than enough for her and when I am at home she usually sleeps anyway.

Donna
27-01-2006, 12:00 AM
I would say that a puppy is definitely out of the question, but how about a rescue adult dog? A greyhound is ideal, contrary to popular belief they don't needs tons of exercise and they are usually real couch potatoes. Most are excellent on the lead and great with children and other dogs. Of course if he is a retired racer you must make sure you get one that has been tested cat friendly. I work 9-3, Mon-Thurs (plus 1 night and 1 evening, but OH is there then.) I always come home at lunchtime to give Daisy a 10 minute walk, as I personally think it is unfair to expect her to be left for those hours alone and without being able to go to the toilet. I always leave her a filled kong in case she gets bored and she has the run of the house. We give her a 45 minute walk in the morning and about the same in the evening, she has extra long walks at the week-ends. That is more than enough for her and when I am at home she usually sleeps anyway.

Oh I dont know!!!

Jeanette
27-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Hmm I would think it would be VERY easier to get a succesful introduction if its a puppy..

And I for one, have never had a dog before Luna, so wouldnt want to start out with an adult dog with bad habbits.

And who says the rescue likes cats? Or all cats? I think that's a bit of a risk..

JMHO...

J

dinahsmum
27-01-2006, 09:53 AM
I'll second what Kim said about cat-safe older greyhounds and lurchers.
Isn't the slogan '60mph couch potatoes'? :lol:
They are very quiet, only need short sharps burst of exercise, and have such beautiful soulful eyes!
Many have tough early lives, and it's such a shame that they often spend ages in shelters.
If I was a dog I'd rather sleep comportably and stress free in my home, knowing my family will be home in due course, than live in a noisy, stressy rescue kennel

But you need to find the right dog............you'd need to liaise closely with the rescue.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_2_7.gif

smudgley
28-01-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm lucky I can take dogs to work with me.:)

I wouldn't leave a young pup for 6 hours plus per day. They need regular interaction, they need regular meals, they need the opportunity to go to the toilet every couple of hours when very young & they need stimulation.:)

I also wouldn't have a WHWT - only because of their health problems - .:? Sorry to anyone who has one - don't mean to offend.:?

JemBob
30-01-2006, 08:16 PM
One doggie Rocky ( 3 and a half)

One moggie Oscar (6)