PDA

View Full Version : Flowers in January

dinahsmum
25-01-2006, 01:42 PM
At last! 3 winter seasons after planting my evergreen, winter flowering clematis is 'doing what it says on the tin' :)
Not hundreds of flowers - about 10 or 12 so far, but a very welcome sight at this time
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/DSC01274.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/DSC01273.jpg

Kazz
25-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Very very pretty.
DM is you clematis in a tub or in the ground??? I can't for the life of me grow Clematis I know its head in the sun feet in the shade but I can't grow em:(

dinahsmum
25-01-2006, 02:18 PM
It's in the first planter from the house

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/14.jpg

like so.
So, it's in fairly new (3.5 year) standard compost in a 5 foot square planter, with a mixture of plants - nothing very exciting; a summer flowering large flower clematis, bulbs, lavender, summer bedding etc. It's against a west facing fence and is fairly sheltered.
So saying, I have the bright yellow, droopy headed, summer clematis up on the bank, and that is on poor, poor chalk and builders rubble, south facing and is rampant.
Maybe you just have to be patient?

(Do you plant them deep, like it says on the 'horticultural instructions'. About 8" below the soil level in the pot - so that if you get the dreaded clematis wilt it will revitalise from the buried stem)

Kazz
25-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Yep I plant 'em deep I follow the instructions religiously, whats sadder:? (family find extremely funny) when I go in the local excellent garden centre I use and stand anywhere near Clematis now the blokes who work there all say look there she is looking at another poor clematis to kill :roll: nothing like having faith in me is there.:) but they are right whatever I have brought I have killed.:(

Although neighbours seem able to grow them.:roll: Yet I can grow easily, roses, honeysuckle, jasmine maybe I should just settle for not being able to grow Cleamtis.

Kazz
25-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I forgot to say you have a lovely garden DM.:) I envy you.:D

dinahsmum
25-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Yep I plant 'em deep I follow the instructions religiously, whats sadder:? (family find extremely funny) when I go in the local excellent garden centre I use and stand anywhere near Clematis now the blokes who work there all say look there she is looking at another poor clematis to kill :roll: nothing like having faith in me is there.:) but they are right whatever I have brought I have killed.:(

Although neighbours seem able to grow them.:roll: Yet I can grow easily, roses, honeysuckle, jasmine maybe I should just settle for not being able to grow Cleamtis.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You know what they say 'If at first you don't succeed, give up'!
Odd though :smt102

Kazz
25-01-2006, 02:27 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You know what they say 'If at first you don't succeed, give up'!
Odd though :smt102

I have to say, I have given up now.:shock: killed to many to be reprieved

dinahsmum
25-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I forgot to say you have a lovely garden DM.:) I envy you.:D
Ha - but that was when it was just done and tidy. Remember we have been blessed with a staffie puppy since then, so it is now decorated with 'Tuff Tires' in various states of destruction and the shingle is regularly sprayed everywhere when she does handbrake turns! :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/DSC00349.jpg

Kazz
25-01-2006, 02:39 PM
Its what they do DM just to make it more interesting get another Staffiie and watch two doing handbreak turns - ;) niceeeeeeeeeeeee:D

EmmaG
25-01-2006, 09:34 PM
DM - very pretty!!!! what a nice garden as well. I am hopefully going to do a bit to our garden this year :)

Tom
25-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Awww DM your garden is lovely !

Fran
25-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Lovely garden DM!!

I too have a problem with Clematis :? Have a lovely Nellie Moser in a pot which struggled at the back end of last year :( waiting to see if it revives this year :?

dandysmom
02-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Clematis is fussy here; never had any luck with it myself, but a neighbor down the block has one not taken very well of, and it grows like a weed & blooms like crazy:roll: We've had an useasonably warm January & my nerighnor's...and snowdrops are in bloom, and my crocus & tulips are beginning to poke up...and much colder weather predicted for next week:roll: Lovely garden you have!!

Donna
02-02-2006, 12:27 PM
What a lovely garden!! So neat! Am planning to do more to mine this year. But next doors fence is down and I know they wont repair it, so I will have to add a new fence to my list of jobs.