PDA

View Full Version : Constipated? cat

logoes
23-01-2006, 09:16 PM
India, the rescue cat has been with us for a week now. She has settled well, chosen her favourite chair and stopped searching for us during the night, but is giving a bit of worry over her feeding and what may be constipation. She had been fed on Jas. Wellbeloved at the sanctuary but turned her nose up at it here, will eat Whiskas dry (small amount) and various tinned foods -preferably fish based, but never much at a time. I know if it was a dog (more experience with them) I wouldn't be worrying but India is my first 'rescue' cat, All the other strays that moved in on us did so because we provided them with food, and eventually a warm bed so feeding was not a problem. I know that there will not be much in the way of roughage in the tinned food but only a couple of bowel movements in a week seems a bit on the low side - I've got some De furr um today and she's had some just in case it's a fur ball, she wouldn't touch the liver I got !!! I know it will take some time for her to be completely 'at home' after 5 months at the sanctuary but I can't help worrying over her. Any ideas to get the food in ine end and the results out the other will be much appreciated Thanks Logoes

Jac
23-01-2006, 09:18 PM
How about some oily sardines?

Mags
23-01-2006, 10:14 PM
When my previous cat broke his pelvis he had to be 'caged' for 2 weeks to avoid movement. During that time he became very constipated and my vet advised to put a couple of drops of liquid parrafin (obtainable at a chemist) in his food until he was back to normal. After a day or two he was back to normal.
I think it may be wise to check with your vet first just in case there is any other cause.
Good luck!

CathyW
23-01-2006, 10:19 PM
cat food in gravy normally gets *things* moving for barnaby.

Donna
23-01-2006, 11:09 PM
A cheap supermarket brand of biscuits tends to get Misty going!!!! Not that she needs any help in that department!!!

smudgley
23-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Some cats cope better with change than others. A change of environment is a huge thing for a cat to cope with. Also there are no familiar people around her at this time. I know it's very worrying when they don't eat, but my rescues rarely eat for the first couple of days (unless they are a mom with kittens) Harry came in on Sunday & has not eaten a thing yet. But I know he will soon.

Is she constipated? Have you seen her trying to go? Has she been? How many times?
She won't be going to the toilet much if she's hardly eating, I would try & persevere with her for now. You could try tempting her with nice things - but if it was me - I would be inclined to continue with her normal diet - once she settles in, she'll start eating better.
Hope that helps:)

Elaine
24-01-2006, 12:20 AM
I had some problems with Bernie when he first arrived, the opposite to yours though, he very soon became known as The Emperor Ming. His tummy eventually settled down after some bland food and probiotics.
Winston is sometimes constipated, oily fish helps him to get going again but he is old and an old cats poo does become more compact and dry, occasionally I have to give him a laxative.
If kitty is not eating much then it would make sense that there wont be much poo there either.
Have you tried heating his food a little to get him eating? The sardines might be a good idea because of the strong smell, might make it more appealing. I am sure he will settle in very soon.

logoes
24-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for your replies. I also phoned a friend who has rescued cats for years , she had 27 at one time, and she told me that I've just to give India time to settle. She is sleeping so much and not doing any real exercise although we did have a hectic 10 minutes of tennisball chasing last night, so she obviously feels quite well . Have shopped this morning for sardines, a different brand of dry food and prawns just to tempt her into eating again. Will update when there is something positive to report. Thanks again - Logoes.

Elaine
24-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Hope India enjoys her fishies.:D