PDA

View Full Version : Catnip

Mags
23-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Catnip triggers strange behavioral changes in cats when they come in contact with it. The aroma of catnip drives cats crazy sending them into a state of friskiness and excitement.

Cats react to catnip in many peculiar ways: some cats eat or lick it, others roll in it, some play with it and others will simply just sniff it. All of these reactions release an oil called nepetalactone that stimulates chemical responses in cats causing them to become energized and wild.

Not all cats react to catnip. Young kittens and old cats tend to have no reaction to catnip. However, large cats like tigers and leopards could be sensitive to catnip. Catnip is completely safe and non-addictive to cats.

Although catnip does not have the same response on humans, it is useful to them in other ways. For at least 2000 years, this mint herb has been used in medicines. In addition, it is also found in brewed tea to help humans with digestion and sleep.

dinahsmum
23-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Although catnip does not have the same response on humans, it is useful to them in other ways. For at least 2000 years, this mint herb has been used in medicines. In addition, it is also found in brewed tea to help humans with digestion and sleep.

Hey Mags - spend a few minutes batting a catnip mouse around before you go to bed and you could sleep better! :lol:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_50.gif

Mags
23-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Mags - spend a few minutes batting a catnip mouse around before you go to bed and you could sleep better! :lol:
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_50.gif
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...might even think of stuffing my pillow with the blighters DM!!!:-D

Donna
23-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Do any of you lot buy catnip for your cats? Does it work? I dont think it does, but maybe I buying wrong stuff!

Mags
23-01-2006, 06:56 PM
It's only in the toys that I buy, Donna....

Moli
23-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Two of mine love it, two don't take any notice of it.....

Donna
23-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Have heard cats get more into catnip as they get older. Mine are only one now so maybe I keep trying!!

Fran
23-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Some of my cats love it and some are not bothered by it at all :? very strange :?

Emm
23-01-2006, 11:45 PM
you can get different varieties of catnip some cats react to some types and not others.

A cat will not react to catnip until they reach sexual maturity and if they are going to react its caused by a gene passed on from their mother.

You can store catnip and catnip toys in your freezer to keep them fresh for longer - also take the toy away from your cat occasionally so its not always lying around.

Moli
23-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks Emm, great info, now I know why my older cats like it, and the young ones don't...........

dinahsmum
24-01-2006, 09:30 AM
I have some growing in the garden and Tizzie will sometimes stop and have a sniff at it as if she is enjoying the smell, but it doesn't make her go silly.
I have heard that it is a sexual thing and affects boys more than girls :smt102 If that's the case you'd think that neutering would eliminate/dilute it?
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif

Emm
24-01-2006, 09:39 AM
I read this in the How Things Work website:

Although no one knows exactly what happens in the cat's brain, it is known that the chemical nepetalactone in catnip is the thing that triggers the response. Apparently, it somehow kicks off a stereotypical pattern in cats that are sensitive to the chemical. The catnip reaction is inherited, and some cats are totally unaffected by it. Large cats like tigers can be sensitive to it as well. The reaction to catnip only lasts a few minutes. Then the cat acclimates to it, and it can take an hour or two away from catnip for the cat to "reset." Then, the same reaction can occur again. Very young kittens and older cats seem less likely to have a reaction to catnip.

I would have thought as well a neutered cat would not react as well - the article also mentioned that tigers like catnip as well - can you imagine a huge tiger out his face on catnip :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Both my dogs love catnip as well and are always trying to get my cats catnip toys and keep them - it makes them drool - I must have strange dogs!

Elaine
24-01-2006, 09:43 AM
I would like to grow catnip. Is it easy to grow in Scottish climes? Where would I get it from?

dinahsmum
24-01-2006, 10:13 AM
I would like to grow catnip. Is it easy to grow in Scottish climes? Where would I get it from?

Garden centres usually have it. It's Nepeta. It is not a thrilling floral display but it stays low and fills space. It dies off in winter and comes up again with the good weather - you might have to help it a bit with a layer of winter mulch or similar? Kazz is a good flower gardener - she will know.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_14_5.gif

Elaine
24-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Thanx for that:D

CathyW
05-02-2006, 05:03 PM
i was going to throw some cat nip seeds in a cat hating neighbours garden :D