PDA

View Full Version : Kitten care - changes?

dinahsmum
22-01-2006, 12:05 PM
So, my last kitten was over 15 years ago, ( and that was Mini who was actually Katie's cat) so what changes have there been since then?
I've already asked you about food and it seems that Whiskas kitten is probably still the most widely used - so no change there.
Microchips are new-ish, and I'll certainly get that done.
Neutering at about 6 months was always the advice, so no change there
There are tons more toys! I think I'll get a tower/scratch post/box on a pole (don't even know what they are called) as they seem a good idea to spare the furniture/curtains (mostly!:roll: )
Anything else I should know?
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif

Moli
22-01-2006, 12:08 PM
You will need a litter tray DM, till they have had their jabs............

dinahsmum
22-01-2006, 12:10 PM
You will need a litter tray DM, till they have had their jabs............
You mean they haven't perfected the non-peeing, non-pooping kittie yet! :( :lol:

Mags
22-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Don't forget yours are going to use the proper loo DM!!:lol:

Mags
22-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I always think it best to start brushing them at the start...then they get used to it and look forward to it....

Moli
22-01-2006, 12:39 PM
You mean they haven't perfected the non-peeing, non-pooping kittie yet! :( :lol:Sorry DM, no such thing!!!

smudgley
22-01-2006, 01:16 PM
I think the main thing a kitty needs is someone to love & a nice warm lap to curl up on. :)
Also -- food, litter, litter tray, scratch post, cat carrier, toys.
First vaccine at minimum 9 weeks old. 2nd vaccine 3 weeks later. Microchip can be done at any age.

Oh yes & about 3 months after getting them you will need new curtains, possibly new carpets & probably a new settee:shock: :-D :-D

dinahsmum
22-01-2006, 01:19 PM
Oh yes & about 3 months after getting them you will need new curtains, possibly new carpets & probably a new settee:shock: :-D :-D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
(and I know you're only half-joking :roll: )

Donna
22-01-2006, 01:23 PM
My biggest problem was that Emma my daughter just wouldnt leave the kittens alone. They have now got a bit nervous of people due to the fact that Emma held them when they wanted to go, and played with them when they wanted to rest.. so my biggest bit of advice is to give them space... not sure if you have any annoying kids like I do..... but thats my advice.:p

CJK
22-01-2006, 02:12 PM
they HAVE invented a non peeing non pooping kitten, it's called a fur real pet lmao

i got my kid a fur real pet dog two years ago, as he wanted a puppy but i said he'd get bored of it soon.

the bog barked, he ran off and hasnt been near it since!

my two year old now loves it, thank god cos the thing cost a fortune! lol

dinahsmum
22-01-2006, 02:27 PM
so my biggest bit of advice is to give them space... not sure if you have any annoying kids :p

No, no, just us two semi-crumblies, 2 old lady cats and a slightly crazy but very loving sbt teenager :)

Naomi
22-01-2006, 04:19 PM
My MIL made her own cat scratching post thingy, the kittens loved it. They still play with it now and again.

Mags
22-01-2006, 04:25 PM
My SIL made my first scratching post too.....he just nailed a piece of wood into a square wooden base and covered the lot with bits of carpet and sisle string.....

dinahsmum
22-01-2006, 04:31 PM
My SIL made my first scratching post too.....he just nailed a piece of wood into a square wooden base and covered the lot with bits of carpet and sisle string.....
Yes, I'm sure that would be fine.
Seeing as I'm getting 2 (sometime! :roll: ) I thought that their own little domain where they can sit/hide/sleep/play/scratch might be a good idea and save my fixtures and fittings from toooooo much damage! :)

Jac
22-01-2006, 04:58 PM
I would also say that the younger you can get your kitten the better. (within reason) I think C-Fur was about 6 weeks old when we got him, Purrdie was 17 weeks. He is by far the friendlier, although Purdie is getting ther, slowley.
They also love the feathers you get on sticks and play with you with them for ages. An old loo roll works just as well.
I would go for one of the covered litter trays from the start, that way you wont have litter all over your floor (or not as much)
When I first bot them I went for the wood based cat litter. I have changed to the white catsan. It is slightly more expencive but works out cheeper as you dont have to chanhe it as often, it's also less pongy. That's just my oppinion though.

Snoof
22-01-2006, 06:09 PM
I know DM has no small children, but what I plan to do (and what I did when I nicked Rajah as she wasn't used to children) is get another babygate like the one in my son's bedroom door (he can open the complicated ones, so we get the simple ones that require strength to open) and put it in the kitchen doorway. Kittens' food, litter tray and bed will be in the kitchen, so if they want some time away from it all they'll be able to slip through the babygate and my son won't be able/allowed to follow.

It worked a treat for Rajah (she wasn't good at jumping, but she was skinny enough when I nicked her that she could fit through the bars, bless her :() and even when she fattened up and I had to start leaving the gate open, my son saw it as a border beyond which he wasn't to travel.

Sorry, I know it's useless in the context of this thread, but someone might be looking for a solution and see this and be able to make use of it.

DM, you need a top-of-the-line camera... So you can show them to us all the time :lol:

Kazz
22-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Do you know I can't rememberwhat I did with my two :? I suppose somewhere safe like a spare bedroom or something till they get used to you with maybe a babygate to stop Dinah trying to lick them to death.:-D

Although saying thatI suspect the basic idea of lots of love is still the same.

dinahsmum
22-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all your replies - it really doesn't sound as though things have changed very much at all. *Ducks and waits for sleepless nights, shredded legs, ruined carpets etc :lol: *

Jac
22-01-2006, 08:33 PM
Thats about right. I forgot about them climbing up your bare legs.

bobbie3917
22-01-2006, 11:24 PM
bare legs grrrr Minx is still doing that athough she can jump up she must think its funny to do