PDA

View Full Version : Clicker training for cats?

dinahsmum
21-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Does anyone know if this is possible/practical?
I was thinking about Snoof and her suspicious Ninja, and wondering if she could use a clicker to reinforce happy messages
e.g
give ham - click
Ninja sits in sun - click
give ham - click
give meal - click

eventually
give ham - click
stroke/tickle - click
give ham - click

The click (which only happens when Ninja is 'in a happy place') comforts and reassures him and hopefully leads on to calm and reassure him for more adventurous things like brushing, picking up or whatever.

Any thoughts/experience/bits in books/internet articles?
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_20.gif

Elaine
21-01-2006, 05:11 PM
I used the clicker method with Eva when we had some problems regarding where she would like to do her business, I also used it to give her a bit of stimulation as she is a very sensitive and clever little thing.
It helped on all scores but I wasnt consistent enough with it as sometimes my old boy Winston needs that little bit more tlc and my o/h was useless with the clicker training, just wouldnt do it as I instructed.
I introduced my friend to it for her cats. She has 2 cats, brother and sister. Ferg, the boy, likes to go outside and finds the clicker quite beneath him and insulting. Kisty on the other hand used to also go outside but at some point had been frightened and decided she preffered indoors. She gained a fair bit of weight and looked thoroughly fed up and not very playful. The clicker turned all that around almost instantly. She now constantly looks for new games and tricks, loves to play, has lost some weight and looks fablious.
Have to add though that my friend doesnt work and has lots of time to spend with Kirsty and be consistent. She and Kirsty find it very rewarding though.

Kazz
21-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Can't see why it wouldn't work, cats are far from daft and a friend moved house to a first floor flat in an old converted house, and sooner rather than later he (the cat) realised if the bell rang people would open the door. :shock: so he learnt to ring the bell.:-D giving himself unlimited access to the flat.

Elaine
21-01-2006, 05:16 PM
LOL bless that bell ringing kitty:lol:

dinahsmum
21-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Look at the kitty doing 'agility' in the vid on this site :shock:
http://www.clickertraining.com/training/cats/
This woman seems to have it all sewn up - books/videos, the lot!

Snoof
21-01-2006, 05:34 PM
Ooooh, thanks DM, and thanks for alerting me to the thread! I'll buy a clicker on Tuesday and see if it works :) Worst case scenario it doesn't and nothing's lost, after all...

Elaine
21-01-2006, 05:35 PM
There is also a yahoo group for clicker training too.
Eva still remembers things from when we used to do it. She will jump off the kitchen counter or table if I say "off". She will jump into a chair if I say "up" and on the rare occasion she will give me a high five, but she will only do the last one if I have a prawn or two in my hand. :D

Kazz
21-01-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't knowwhy I am surprised but I am cats doing agility :shock: but thinking about it can't see why not:D

Snoof
21-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Kazz - I've certainly had cats who would've boggled at the idea of doing something because they were asked to :lol: