PDA

View Full Version : Pillow washing.

Snoof
21-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Ok, my recent spate of picture-taking has shown me just how grody Ninja's pillow is. I'm considering washing it.

However, his pillow resides in his safe place, and I'm worried that if I wash it he'll feel displaced and... I don't know, violated. Is that silly, or could it happen? What if I got him a new catbed (it'd have to be an open one, as at the moment his safe place is the only place I can pet him) so I can swap them out when one's in the wash?

I know cats have a much better sense of smell than humans do, and I'm worried that if it stops smelling like him, he'll stop feeling safe there. On the other hand, that was his safe place before I decided to put his pillow there, so maybe it's less about the pillow and more about the spot.

Ideas? Advice? I'm hoping to do all the changing of stuff and the vet visit as soon as possible, so he has lots of time to recover and adapt before we can start the ball rolling on kittens, if they still seem like a viable idea by then.

Elaine
21-01-2006, 04:01 PM
How about placing a nice blanket or something over the pillow for a day or so, so as it too will have his smell. Then you can remove the pillow for washing and kitty can have a nice new cozy blanket.;)

Snoof
21-01-2006, 04:05 PM
I can't believe that hadn't occurred to me... I even have a blue fleece baby blanket that used to be my son's but is waaaay too small for him now.

Yay, thanks!

Donna
21-01-2006, 04:16 PM
That was a problem solved in a flash!!

Fran
21-01-2006, 08:19 PM
How about placing a nice blanket or something over the pillow for a day or so, so as it too will have his smell. Then you can remove the pillow for washing and kitty can have a nice new cozy blanket.;)

Good thinking Elaine ;)

Snoof
29-01-2006, 09:18 PM
Sorry for bringing this zombie thread back from the dead. I've just given Ninja his new blankie (I couldn't find the bloody thing, my housemate appears here every few months for the sole purpose of Moving Stuff For No Reason...) as it was dry after being washed.

He has decided it's the root of all evil. While it's kind of funny - they're sharing his pillow, grudgingly, both facing in opposite directions - it's also kind of AAARRRRGH. I wanted him to love the blankie so it could work as a comfort object on his vet visit :(

I think I'm going to postpone till Tuesday or Wednesday to see if that's long enough for him to learn to love it.

Edit: Ok, he's as scared of blankets as he is of feet.

I just want to go out and punch everyone who's ever been mean to a cat. It seems ridiculous, but I'm on the verge of tears over this. He's a young cat (about 2 now). He should not be afraid of people, or of feet, or of blankets. How ridiculous is this? He's so lovely and he's been treated so shoddily he's an emotional mess.

I'm going to go remove all trace of the blanket and put out some treats for him for when he comes back in. This is just depressing the hell out of me.

Mags
29-01-2006, 09:55 PM
Aww I'm sure he will love his new blanket Snoof!

Fran
29-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Sure he will get used to his new blanket in a few days Snoof....

Snoof
29-01-2006, 10:22 PM
I went back before I edited to look at it and when I put my hand near the blanket, he freaked and ran outside.

I suspect at some point someone caught him by catching him in a towel or some blanket-like object, possibly to get him into the rescue as he is very skittish and I doubt he would've allowed them to just take him.

Ah well, I'll have to find something else.

Mags
29-01-2006, 10:25 PM
Snoof, why don't you rub the blanket over you or even sit on it......if Ninja can pick up your scent on it he may not mind it so much...

EmmaG
29-01-2006, 10:25 PM
How about an old pair of your jeans/trousers?? My cats have always loved my other halfs jeans?? put them on the floor and they are straight there!! just an idea

Donna
30-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Or you could fold up the blanket with some other bits and pieces and make it look like a freshly laundered pile of washing. My cats always seem to like my washing basket grrrrr!!!!

Snoof
30-01-2006, 03:06 AM
:roll: He returned over an hour ago, and ate the entire pile of treats I put out in my deep guilt :roll:

And not a shred of concern for my feelings of course! :lol:

I'm going to sleep with the blankie tonight and then put it loosely over his pillow in the morning when he's usually out anyway. We shall see. Not the end of the world - sorry - I got 4 hours of very broken sleep last night and it messes with my head.

dinahsmum
30-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Snoof
To familiarise your poor scaredy-cat (poor boy, I'm sympathising, not taking the p) with any new object, first, take a clean cloth (a hankie or something) then, when he's in a good, you-can-touch-me mood , rub it gently on his head/face, between his eyebows and his ears. That's where most of his scent glands are (that's why cats rub their faces against you - marking you as their own). Then, when the clean cloth is well loaded with his scent, rub it on the new blankie/bed/kittens - whatever it is your trying to familiarise him with. Should make it less threatening.

Did you ever try the clicker?

Jac
30-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Just a thought but if he's stil easily spooked try some bachs herbal rescue remedy in his water. That should act as a chill pill and he will learn there is nothing to be afraid of in the house. Then you can stop useing it. It's safe and Ive used it heaps of times for dogs. I know people who have used it sucsessfully for cats too.

Snoof
30-01-2006, 03:01 PM
DM, what would I do without you? I still haven't gotten a clicker, I've been too busy to go into town and jump into the pet supply shop.

I suspect he may be worried about the noise it makes if he's not sure what it does, but he'll probably treat it as he does the camera until he figures out its purpose.

Jac, I'm looking at options similar to that at the moment, but still trying to figure out which one would be best. DM (I think) posted a link to something that looked likely enough and could be crunched up and mixed into some pate or something.

Jac
30-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Bachs is a liquid and can be added to water, food ect. Moli used it with her cats for a while. It does work and you can pick it up at any good chemist or health food shop.