PDA

View Full Version : help fomr any1 who knows about exotics

CJK
20-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Well,as I am sure you all know I have a flat faced exotic ( is that open or closed face, i always get mixed up)

since we got him he has sneezed. ANd i mean sneezed!
he has some gross habbits, like blowing huge globs of erm........nose slime, into your face!
And he gulps down his boogies too ( sorry!!), you know how men hock em back and spit em out ( yyyeeeeuukk).
He has huge blobbs of snot all the time. Sometimes it is a brownish colour, which i am told is nothing to worry about. Sometimes it is blood stained or looks like blood.

He has had 2 courses of tablets from vet for "winter virus" but is still doing it.

Is there anything i can do to help him? and is this a sign of an underlying medical condition?

Would very much apprecaite some help.vet just keeps saying he prob always going to do it, and he may have had cat flu b4 we got him and this can be a result, but im not sure what to think

dinahsmum
20-01-2006, 04:58 PM
My daughter's exotic - oriental not flat face - was the runt of the litter and had had flu before she got him.
He is exactly the same. She has to wipe down all her surfaces, mirrors, windows etc every day.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I think that's what happens. :(
My old vet - before I moved - had a beautiful lilac oriental who always had two thick candles dribbling from his nose. He said it was because of early infection. If a vet can't sort it in their own cat I don't think there's much hope..................

CJK
20-01-2006, 05:01 PM
ok, thanks for that. I was worried maybe it was a sign of something more serious.

You should see my duvet, i ahve to change cover everyday cos he sleeps on it withme at night and splatters it lol. bless!!!
thanks again, apreciate your time :-)

Moli
20-01-2006, 05:10 PM
My exoctic's don't sneeze like that CJK. they are alaways snuffly because of their flat noses, and prone to sticky eyes off and on, but I think what you are describing sounds more like a flu type thing, I would take him back to the vets.....

CJK
20-01-2006, 05:15 PM
we been three times about it since we got him, and last time they did nothing but say oh wel thats him. I'll try again though. actually we going to the CAW on tues, can ask them there

Moli
20-01-2006, 05:17 PM
we been three times about it since we got him, and last time they did nothing but say oh wel thats him. I'll try again though. actually we going to the CAW on tues, can ask them thereMaybe you should get a second opinion CJ.....

Jac
20-01-2006, 05:35 PM
If I were you I would go to another vet. Any animal that brings up or passes blood stained yuk needs attention. It is not natural!
I have been arround exotics, and while they tend to be a bit snuffley, dont display the symptoms you describe.
Is he vaccinated?

CJK
20-01-2006, 05:48 PM
no he sint vaccinated yet. He was 17 weeks old when we got him, and was unwell then.
Since then everytime we go vets they say they want to wait to vaccinate him as he still unwell.
There are several different vets there, with my bunnies i've seen four diff ones so far, maybe i can try seeing a diff vet,see what he/she says.
HE's eating and drinking and playing, so seems fine in everyway, and is definatly livelier than when we first got him, so has improved, but i just snt convinced he was completely right.
Worth anoth try though.
thanks for the advice all

Moli
20-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Hope you can get bit sorted out CJ, before you get your new kitten..........

Donna
20-01-2006, 06:38 PM
I dont have any advice, but agree with Moli to get a second opinion.

Misty, my moggy, had sniffles and sneezes when I got her. She was in a sad and sorry state anyway - underfed and mishandled. A course of antibiotics as a precaution was recommended and she has been fine ever since. But she is just a moggy.

Mags
20-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Your little one definately doesn't sound well CJ....I would take him to the vet and try to get it cleared up before you introduce your new kitten to the house.

Just out of interest, can anyone tell me if an exotic and an oriental is the same thing?:?

Moli
20-01-2006, 06:53 PM
My two are Exotic shorthairs, which is basically a shorthaired persian...Oliver is an oriential, he is the same as a siamese colour point but solid.colour, .I have never heard of a oriential being called an exotic.....

Could be wrong though!

Fran
20-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Hope you can get bit sorted out CJ, before you get your new kitten..........

Very sound advice, I would never consider bringing in another feline addition to the family until I got to the bottom of this. Anything blood stained is abnormal and being a nurse you know full well, green gungy discharge indicates infection...I really hope you get to the bottom of this!!

CJK
20-01-2006, 11:12 PM
well we got until march 11th to get him sorted out b4 shakira arrives. but of course i wouldnt brig her into the house if he still unwell.

HIs eyes being runny soemtimes i know is normal, and i have ehard of it sometimes being slightly brown.
He doesnt have green disharge. lots of snot basically lol. It bood stained far less often than it used to be.Maybe he needs more antibitoics, or maybe more tests or something.
his temp has been fine whenever vets have taken it.
I will definatly see another vet at my practice, and if still not happy go eslewhere for another opinion.
I didnt know if exotics were snotty all the time ( not snooty lol)

Hope it isnt anything to worrya bout. time will tell.
I have tried searching online tos ee what it COULD be, but cant come up with anything, off to vets agian soon

CJK
20-01-2006, 11:14 PM
just waiting for him to be sorted tog et vacinated. I still dont understand why the "breeder" didnt get him done, I mean 17 weeks old and not vaccinated? she should have got him sorted.

Mags
20-01-2006, 11:24 PM
CJ, did you know he was not well when you got him? The breeder should never have let you have him if he was unwell then:?

Moli
20-01-2006, 11:25 PM
CJK My exotics are not snotty all the time!Has he been tested fot Clymidia, some cats are carriers..........

CJK
21-01-2006, 11:48 AM
he hasnt been tested for anything, vet just kept saying it cos of his flat face, or cos of his winter virus.
We were told he sneezed occasionally before we got him, which i had asked my vet about before buying him,and was told they do occasioanlly sneeze.
My hubby went to collect him for me, and he knows nothing about cats, so didnt realise he wasnt well.
I took Mr D to the vets the next morning and got his first lot of antibitocis and was told then it looks like a winter virus, but he may have either just had flu or just getting flu. So we went back every 2-3 days with him for them to check his temperature etc, which was aways fine.
HEs had two lots of antibitoics now. BUt I just had a niggle in the back of my mind that there may be something more to this than " he's always going to do it"
If I am armed with possibilties of it may be this...or this... i can go to my vets and ask what they think about running some tests for other stuf.

Now I know i can ask about clymidia, so if anybody has any ideas at all what else it MAY be due to I would very much apprecaite you telling me, so i can ask the vet to test for them and rule them out.

I just re-read my replies, and they didnt quite come across the way i intended, i wasnt arguing with what people had said, so apologies if it appears that way. or that i wasnt listening to what was said. I do really apprecaite your advice,a lot, and am taking it all on board. I'm just saying what my vet told me, but I'm not 100% convinced. Like i said I will see if i can get a consult with another vet, if still not happy will go to diff practice altogether.
Tues we are going to the college of animal welfare at wood green animal shelter for micro chipping, so i thought i can ask there for some advice too, it doesnt hurt to get lots of opinions.
Althought we like to trust our vets / doctors there are times when we just dont trust them completely.

I found a little info online, but nothing really. If he becomes sick i'll get a vet out of hours, otherwise we have an appointment thurs morning, which i know is a bit of a wait, but the owner of the vet practice we use said if he has been like this for 6-7 weeks,and is eating, using litter tray,playing etc then it's something that although needs looking at doesnt need an emergancy appointment.

just hoping for his sake that we can get to the bottom of this.

thanks so much to everyone for your help and advice, it's such a help to have other people to fall back on!

Moli
21-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Cats are brilliant if not well at hiding it CJK, they can appear to be perfectly normal and be quite poorly.....
Hope you get it sorted out...

Elaine
21-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Good luck CJ, hope Mr Darcy is alright. Give him a cuddle from me.

Mags
21-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Good luck CJ....for your own peace of mind it is always wise to get a second opinion if you are not happy about things....

CJK
22-01-2006, 12:04 PM
well.
afterthinking even more about what everyone here has told me, i ahve got him an appointment with the vet tomorrow. rather than wait the extra few days until thursday. If i dont get anywhere there are af ew other vets near here to ask.

thanks for the advice everyone, at least I am armed with some possibles!

Elaine
22-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Good luck for tomorrow. Hope all goes well for Mr Darcy;)

CJK
22-01-2006, 10:29 PM
I've been googling this all day.
I just did his ear drops ( third week on them) and had a thought, could it all be connected and be caused by something more serious than ear mites and a cold?
I cant find any straight answers on the net. Taking him to another vets tomorrow, along with the poorly rabbit mentioned elsehwere. See what we can sort for them both

Fran
22-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Good luck tomorrow CJ..let us know how they both get on at the new vets..

Moli
22-01-2006, 10:36 PM
Hope all goes well tomorrow CJK...........

Elaine
23-01-2006, 03:25 PM
Any news yet CJK? How is Mr Darcy doing? Hope all went well at the vets.

Jac
23-01-2006, 03:34 PM
Have you been to the Vets yet? Whats the verdict? I hope it was good news. Fingers crossed for you.

CJK
23-01-2006, 07:48 PM
have had a hectic day, but anyway, i couldnt carry two pet carriers tot he vets this morning, and my lift had let me down ( sorry for any1 rading this on the bunny thread).
So my rabbit being in more dire need of treatmetn, i took her to the new vets.
I spoke to them for quite a while about MR Darcy, I am going in tomorrow with the bunny again, and have a lift (fingers crossed) so can take Mr Darcy too. they are going to give him a thorough check up, and if there is nothing obvious that they can see signs of are going to arrange for him to be sent to thier sister clinic for a head x-ray to check for any infections deep set ( or thye said something along those lines).
Costs a fortune but hopefully we can everntually get to the ned of it, and get this puddy tat better.

Donna
23-01-2006, 07:52 PM
have had a hectic day, but anyway, i couldnt carry two pet carriers tot he vets this morning, and my lift had let me down ( sorry for any1 rading this on the bunny thread).
So my rabbit being in more dire need of treatmetn, i took her to the new vets.
I spoke to them for quite a while about MR Darcy, I am going in tomorrow with the bunny again, and have a lift (fingers crossed) so can take Mr Darcy too. they are going to give him a thorough check up, and if there is nothing obvious that they can see signs of are going to arrange for him to be sent to thier sister clinic for a head x-ray to check for any infections deep set ( or thye said something along those lines).
Costs a fortune but hopefully we can everntually get to the ned of it, and get this puddy tat better.

could it be an allergic reaction to ear drops? ear/nose etc all connected? Could the drops be causing the sneezing and lots of "snot"???

CJK
24-01-2006, 04:27 AM
not thought of that! willa sk them when take him in the morning, it's an idea!!

Elaine
24-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Good luck at the vets today with Mr Darcy. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem and that Mr Darcy is well.

Elaine
24-01-2006, 04:51 PM
OI! Hows that lovely little Mr Darcy doing?

CJK
24-01-2006, 08:38 PM
spoke to several vets at the college of animal welfare, who said he has blood stained snot cos of sneezing so much, and that the sneezing could be an allergy. I have two ionisers brought yesterday, and plan to get one in each room, see if that helps. HAve also changed cat litter today, see if that helps too.

Elaine
24-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Hope they help chum.

Donna
24-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Hope you see some improvement soon.

Fran
24-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Really hope you have found the answers CJ and that he now starts to get better. If it is an allergy, would some sort of anti-histamines help?

Moli
24-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Glad to hear you have found the problem, hope Mr Darcy improves now................

Jac
24-01-2006, 09:20 PM
I hope you find the answer, easpecially with a new kitten coming on the scene.

Mags
24-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I hope Mr Darcy improves now CJ......

borderdawn
24-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Fingers crossed for Darcy here.
Dawn.

CJK
25-01-2006, 06:33 AM
thanks for the words of encouragement.

I'm getting so frustrated with it all to be honest, I got one person saying this, one person saying that, one vet saying this, one vet saying that.
I dont know which way to turn with him. But i ahve to say he DOES seem to be sneezing less already! So I am trying to think what else may be aggrivating his nose.
I'm going to ring around and see if i can find a vet that knows more about this breed of cat, cos I'm getting more and more disheartened with the ones here. But I am going to take him to see our new vets first. See what they ahve to say now they actually see him.BUt yesterday at the CAW he had 10 trainee vets and 2 trained vets loking at him, and we only went for micro chipping lol BUt they were so nice, and were giving him cuddles and asking alla bout him etc. ( almost completely ignored the two black ones though lol).

They gave my kids a key ring each thats a little tube with a micro chip in, as my eldest was asking what they look like, and they let both the kids in the room to watch. I'dnever seen the micro chip before myself either.

I would say anyone living near enough to there it's worth going along, for free micro chipping. I was worried silly it was going to hurt my boys, but apart from an intial struggle in objection to being helddown, they were all fine.

Will have to ask the new vet about anti histamines.

Jac
25-01-2006, 09:24 AM
With some dogs easpecially boxers (they have short noses) they have allergies. Mostly in the summer months. It is mostly to pollen in the grass. One of my dogs was quite bad. When I went to the vet she weighed her and told me I would be cheeper to buy normal human anti histamines and told me how many to give going by the body weight. If you are going along that route remember you can use human ones for a fraction of the price.

CJK
25-01-2006, 09:49 AM
thanks jac, It's worth a try. He does seem a little better already. So itmay be that's all it is!

samwise
28-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Hope Mr D is feeling better!!!