PDA

View Full Version : Doctors receptionits....aarrggg

Jac
16-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Now I'm getting angry. Up and down all night with Ceilidh, I woke up at 9.15 the first thing I did was call the doctor. Ceilidh has stil got a temp. Under her nose is all chapped and bright red with her nose running. Her eyes are red and weaping green gunk.
The receptionist told me there are no appointments left for today.
I explained that I have been keeping ceilidh going on calpol all weekend waiting on Mon morning. She said sometimes thats all wee ones need! I also told her she hasnt eaten all weekend only taking drinks. I said I wanted a doctor to see her today..........really forced the point. Guess what? A Doctor will phone me at some point today. Great eh.

If you want an appointment with one of my doc's you must phone at 8am. You cant book an appointment for the next day or week. It has to be the day you phone and if they dont have any appointments left you have to watit and phone the next morning.

So much for me trying to be considorate and not call out of hours. I'll tell you though if she doesnt get seen today I will be making an out of hours call out. I think this is really dreadfull and I have no idea when she will phone. I dont even want to have a shower just now incase I miss the call.
What do you think? Do you think I'm being un realisic wanting her seen today?

Jac
16-01-2006, 11:30 AM
The doctor just phoned. I explained all Ceilidh's symptoms over the weekend up to now. She said she must be seen! I now have an appointment for 11.20. I feel alot better in myself knowing that she will be seen today.
Will let you know how she gets on.
Thanks guys for your suport over the weekend. You really made it easier.

Fran
16-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Jac...I hope you complained to the doctor about the receptionist, that is disgraceful!! Next time, don't hesitate out of hours just get the doctor out!! Glad you got an appointment. Let us know how you get on

yola
16-01-2006, 12:21 PM
If any one here is a doctor's receptionist I apologize in advance but I have a real problem with these women! At my surgery at least, they are rude, overbearing and obviously women who have a major issue relating to others.

The one thing I hate is when they ask you 'is it a medical emergency' in this real patronizing snide voice. Like HOW DO I KNOW???? I'm not the blinkin' doctor!!!!

I have to say though - whenever I have pressed the point (usually concerning Dominik) they tell me to bring him in at the end of surgery and the doctor will 'squeeze him in'.

Anyways I'm so pleased that little Ceilidh is now at the doctors coz she really does sound unwell :(

Jac
16-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Just back from the docs. Poor wee soul has two viruses tghat are doing the rounds! On top of that she has conjunctive eyetis. The doc said she will get worse over theweek but doesnt want to prescribe anit biotics as they leave the immune system low. However if I feel she is getting worse temp wise I have to take her back. Her temp (with calpol) is 37. Ive to give her childrens ibrufefern as well between the calpol.
I have a prescription for eye drops but because I have been boiling water and adding a bit sault, leaving it to cool and bathing her eyes with it I have to continue doing that. If they are no better by Wednesday I have to get the prescription.
Ceilidh also ha a birth mark on her bum. It's a big mole with wirey hairs. Not very nice and looks like she has a bit s**t stuck to the top of her bum! Anyway she has been getting teased at nursery about it. I showed the doc it (we call it her special mark) anyway she is referring her to the plastic surgeons at the sick kids for that. I would really like it removed befor she starts school.
Anyway it looks like a week of sleepless nights in this house! Thanks again for your support.
O'h and the mottled skin was because her temp was so high. I explained that I dont like to call doc's out out of hours and she said to me if she needs a Doc just to phone. I thought that was really nice.

Fran
16-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Poor baby...she sounds really under the weather Jac :( The doctor sounds lovely and she seems to have given you very sensible advice. Conjunctivitis is not nice at all...and is so contagious so just be careful with yourself Jac that you don't pick it up. Let's hope she fights the virus' quickly and is soon back up to par again.

Jac
16-01-2006, 02:23 PM
She was lovely Fran.
Ceilidh is up and down all the time. I didnt realise conjunctive eyetise was infectious. Will watch what I'm doing. Thanks.
I'll just have to take it a day at a time. The thing is, as you know kids change so quickly. 10 mins ago she was breaking her heart...now she's playing with C-Fur.:-D

Mags
16-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Poor Ceilidh really is going through a rough patch Jac...I hope it won't last too long.
Jac make sure Ceilidh has a separate towel and face cloth from the rest of the family as conjunctivitis is very contagious....

LMC
16-01-2006, 02:59 PM
If any one here is a doctor's receptionist I apologize in advance but I have a real problem with these women! At my surgery at least, they are rude, overbearing and obviously women who have a major issue relating to others.
I think they go on a special training course in how to be as unhelpful and rude and horrible as possible http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif. I actually asked one once why she was being so rude to me when I had not been rude to her. It left her speechless.

The "phone the same day" for an appointment is unfortunately imposed on individual surgeries by NHS Trusts so that they can sit and say "all callers were seen within 24 hours". It's not the surgery's fault, it's the stupid management.

Some people need to see a doctor, but not urgently. I hate having to call the doctor about a problem where I could wait for an appointment for a few days - it just feels so wrong, especially when there's truly sick people, like Ceilidh who DO need a doctor urgently (my girly stuff could wait a few days). Plus, I have to leave the house before 8 am to go to work and I work over 30 miles away. A lot of people are in that position - which means we pretty much have to take a whole day off, just to see the doctor http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif Even phoning for a "next day" appointment would help with planning.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/_LMC/soapbox.gif

Jac, glad to hear your little girl has been seen and that the doctors know their priorities, even if the administration is just < expletives deleted > stupid. Hope Ceilidh is back to normal very soon.

dinahsmum
16-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Poor Ceilidh really is going through a rough patch Jac...I hope it won't last too long.
Jac make sure Ceilidh has a separate towel and face cloth from the rest of the family as conjunctivitis is very contagious....

I was going to say that Mags.
Might be an idea to get a special bar of soap for Ceilidh and 'make a game' of her washing her hands (properly!, lots of hot water and lots of bubbles - then her own towel to dry, or beter still, paper towels) at least once an hour.

Hope she's better soon

PS - the birthmark op sounds great - it's terrible for kids to be picked on.

Jac
16-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Well she thinks she's the bee's knee's. She has her own soap, face cloth, towel and hand cream. Yip they're all new and Pink. Just for her. I haven't seen her in the toilet so often.
She's knackered though and has actually gone to bed for a wee rest. Hope she doesnt get up bright eyed and bushy tailed at 9pm:shock: .

bobbie3917
16-01-2006, 06:49 PM
glad she was seen by the doc jac

a few months ago my youngest had a bad ear over the weekend i phoned first thing monday morning and was told there was nothing left for this WEEK :shock: and she can be seen next wednesday :shock:. she was screaming in the back round and i asked if she could hear her and she said yes so i said that if i dont get something for today then i will come up and site there till i get seen with her screaming. she was seen at 10.30.

so please tell me why there was nothing for a week then all of a sudden there was 1 that morning

Jac
16-01-2006, 06:52 PM
It depends on how much of a fuss you make. Another way to get an appointment if they say they dont have any is to say ok then I'll have a home visit. My friend did that a few weeks ago and got one within half an hour!

Mags
16-01-2006, 07:02 PM
I know every surgery keeps back emergency slots and it is sometimes difficult to establish which call is a real emergency.......with our health centre, if there is any doubt the doctor always rings back and he decides if he can advise you over the phone or arrange to see you...

Jac
16-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Thats what happened with me Mags. She's awake and really hot again. Although she said she feels cold. I have a feeling it's going to be another long night.
I made some leak and potatoe soup, she took some so at least it's a start.

Mags
16-01-2006, 07:39 PM
I hope she will settle better for you tonight Jac......

Jac
16-01-2006, 07:45 PM
So do I, I dont have bags under my eyes. Suitcases is more aproprate.

samwise
16-01-2006, 08:02 PM
Bless her!! I do hope she feels better soon!
I also hope you have a decent nights rest, both of you!

Donna
17-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Glad you got to the doctors in the end Jac. Doctors receptionists are awful. What I hate about mine is that you ask to book an appointment, then they ask what is wrong with you. Blimin cheek. Nosey cows!!!! I say its personal and I will talk to the doctor.

PS. How do you pronounce your daughters name ???

Moli
17-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Is the wee one up again Jac's???

Jac
17-01-2006, 12:34 AM
Ceilidh is galic. You pronounce it Kay Leigh. It stands for a celibration, normally a dance .I was told after my 5th misscarage I couldnt carry wee girls. I love to prove people wrong!
She's sleeping just now but I dont think it will last. I wil be up at silly O'clock:-P :-P There is 10 years between her and my youngest son. Woops

cataddiction
17-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Doctors receptionist are b----y awful, i think when they advertise for them, they must ask for people who apply to be rude and miserable:roll:

I made a complaint once, when i went in to collect a prescription, they didnt acknowledge me and carried on talking:mad:

Jac
17-01-2006, 07:33 PM
We had dreadfull night with her last night. She bokes (sp) on calpol and calprofen, gets really distressed with the taste. However today I got boots own Ibuprofen and she enjoys the taste:D . She has picked up alot today. Her eyes are still red and hangy but her temp isn't as bad. She actually ate some dinner tonight. Thats a first since Sat. I'm hopeing she sleeps tonight (or is that too much to wish for?) Keep your fingers crossed. The only thing that I'm worried about is her cough is getting worse and it may keep her up.

Fran
17-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Poor love :( really hope you both get a better night tonight Jac..

CJK
20-01-2006, 10:39 AM
some receptionsists are awfulla rent they. the oens that really get my goat are the ones who ask you whats wriong when you ring up! I simply reply thats between me and the doctor thank you.
Few months ago my 7 year old was really poorly, didnt eat or drink for two days, had sore throat that calpol or neurofen didnt ease, he was crying all night, vomitting etc, so on the second morning i rang to get him seen. the receptionsit said he doesnt need to see a dcotor just for a sore thorat and it will go away on it's own, keep him driking and give him calopl,
I was furious, but she simply wouldnt give me an appointment and in the end hung up on me.
That afternoon a rash appeared, within an hour he was smothered from ehad to foot, i rang back, got a different receptionsit, and was seeing a doctor within the hour. Might have been something to do with the rash, anyway he had streptococcyus bacterial throat infection, doc gave him antibitoics, said give him calpol and 3 hours later neurfoen, theree hours alter calopl and so on,
two days later he was getting better, but god knows what would ahve happened to him if i ahd been refused again.

It's all fine saying ring at 8am to get an apointment, my doctors do that every winter, i think theyre trying to put people off going, but by the time u get through all the appointments are gone.
they should still keep some open for emergancies though.

Sometimes the receptionsits think theyre god!

At least your little one gotseen in the end.
how is she doing now?
I hope she is feeling better. it's horrible to see your kids ill isnt it

Jac
20-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Guess what? There are no appointmants at the doc's today!!! and I'm waiting for the duty Doc to phone me back. Ceilidh is complainig about a sore ear and my son Darryle has a sore throte, chest and temp. It just gets better! Will let you know what happens when I talk to the Doc.
I wouldn't mind if I was one of these mum's that on the first sneeze the kids at the surgery but I'm not. I have never had a child to the Doc that hasn't left with a prescription or been admitted to hospital. Sorry rant over.

dinahsmum
20-01-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't understand why they don't have a practice nurse on duty every morning to see anyone/everyone and do a 'triage' just like in A&E. Take all the details, do the temp/BP etc checks. Then, reassure those people who just need rest/fluids/painkillers/aspirin to lower temperature/whatever, advise the mums who are over-anxious or very new to motherhood or pass to the doctor anyone who really needs to see them.

I agree about receptionists asking what is wrong ........... unprofessional!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_2_27.gif

CJK
20-01-2006, 12:44 PM
makes me feel like saying i got a massive boil on my **** now give me that appointment

Naomi
20-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Atleast you've got a Doctor mines on holiday for a month :shock:

I poped in to see if he'd replied to the DVLA about my driving licence as when I spoke to the DVLA they said I will get my licence back sooner than June but they need my doctor to agree to it :roll:

I hope you get to speak to a Dr soon it's not nice when your children are ill and there doesn't seem to be anything you can do for them :(

Donna
20-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Yes mine always ask what is wrong - nosey cows!! Anyway also on the hitlist of awful people - SCHOOL SECRETARIES - anyone agree?

Fran
20-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Guess what? There are no appointmants at the doc's today!!! and I'm waiting for the duty Doc to phone me back. Ceilidh is complainig about a sore ear and my son Darryle has a sore throte, chest and temp. It just gets better! Will let you know what happens when I talk to the Doc.
I wouldn't mind if I was one of these mum's that on the first sneeze the kids at the surgery but I'm not. I have never had a child to the Doc that hasn't left with a prescription or been admitted to hospital. Sorry rant over.

Really hope you manage to get the children seen today Jac....it really is not good enough that they couldn't give them an appointment :(

Jac
20-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Well the Doc phoned me. I told him about Darryle, he asked me to look in his throte. Was it red. Yes. He then said he would leave a script for penicillian at reception for him. I was that taken aback I forgot about Ceilidh's ear!! she seems to be ok today though.