PDA

View Full Version : Allergic person!

Snoof
13-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Two good friends are coming round to spend the night tonight. Only problem is, the girl (L) is allergic to cats.

They spent the night about a year ago, when I had another cat, and she was ok (that was also a medium-length coat cat, Ninja is short-haired) but I would really like to make life as easy on her as possible. I don't have a pet-specific Hoover, but I do have a Hoover (:lol: Brandnew as of yesterday or the day before!). I'm going to hoover the floor they'll be sleeping on (which is a self-contained apartment the previous owner used to rent out) and put freshly washed bedding on their bed... And of course Hoover the rest of the house. As it's been a bit warmer lately, Ninja's gone back to his favourite spot in the den (which is kind of a room off the kitchen but with no insulation and no heat, and the exit he uses when going outside), and as he's very scared of people he doesn't know he won't be coming to see who's around.

Is there anything else I can do to make it easier on her? Last time she seemed ok but by morning her nose and eyes were running and I want her to be as comfortable as possible, especially as we only get to see them about once a year.

Thanks!

dinahsmum
13-01-2006, 01:46 PM
Here's a conversation from a while ago.http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=3336&highlight=piriton
You can get a de-allergising (?) lotion - petshops and pharmacies - to wipe down places.

It might be a good idea for her to bring some Piriteze - cheap, just one tab a day and no sleepiness?

Fran
13-01-2006, 02:01 PM
I was going to suggest getting some anti-histamine tablets in for her too DM! I have to do this when my sister visits us, she is terribly allergic to cats..

Snoof
13-01-2006, 02:21 PM
She has medication and she always brings it along, so that bit's fine... Don't have time to run to the shop, either, might send my boyfriend :lol:

Thanks a lot guys!

CathyW
13-01-2006, 02:27 PM
my daughters OH is alergic to cats,and he took a tab last time he was here,and it worked,no snufflys at all :D

EmmaG
13-01-2006, 02:29 PM
I would also open any windows and give the place a good airing :)

Snoof
13-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Emma, all our windows are perpetually open, comes from having a boyfriend who should've been born in Siberia :lol:

Jac
13-01-2006, 02:51 PM
For what it's worth. I have a friend who is the same. I hoover (extra) before she comes but really at the end of the day. She knows I have a dog and 2 cats. She takes her tablets and the rest is up to her. Dont frazzel yourself out. Youve done your bit.

dinahsmum
13-01-2006, 02:54 PM
One thing you could do is keep her (freshly laundered) pillowcase in a plastic bag until she goes to bed and she can just put it on then. Would prevent a little of the allergens from settling on it. Also, a smear of vaseline along her eyelashes to make then sticky and catch 'things' before they go in her eyes.

The pharmaceutical route is probably the best..........................