PDA

View Full Version : Life on Mars

Pages : [1] 2

dinahsmum
10-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Anybody see it last night?
Quite liked the first episode but don't know if I'll last the series!
Enjoyed the music though
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/993.gif

yola
10-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Do ya know I was just going to post about that!! Hubby and I were quite impressed with the programme - it had some clever twists. But we too were not sure how they could sustain the concept for a while series. We were amazed at where they got all the 70s motors from - thought they'd all rusted away!!! :-D

dinahsmum
10-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Some motor museum made a nice little earner there! (In Sweeny-speak you notice?:) )

yola
10-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Some motor museum made a nice little earner there! (In Sweeny-speak you notice?:) )

Nice little earner? Wasn't that Minder? http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/konfus/c060.gif

dinahsmum
10-01-2006, 05:06 PM
Yep - think you're right :oops:

Kim
10-01-2006, 07:43 PM
I thought it was really good. Took me back to a era I remember well!! Seemed to have a good twist to it - can't wait for next week.....

Kay
10-01-2006, 08:22 PM
What's it all about and is it worth trying to pick up the story in the next episode?

yola
10-01-2006, 09:01 PM
It's about a detective who gets hit by a car and goes back in time from 2006 to 1973. Simple concept; the 1st episode linked the 2 eras together as there was a common murderer in both 1973 and 2006.

I'd certainly recommend giving it a try next Monday Kay and see how you like it :-D

Kay
11-01-2006, 12:21 PM
It's about a detective who gets hit by a car and goes back in time from 2006 to 1973. Simple concept; the 1st episode linked the 2 eras together as there was a common murderer in both 1973 and 2006.

I'd certainly recommend giving it a try next Monday Kay and see how you like it :-D

Sounds right up my street. I will give it a try and I better tell my mum to watch it. It's her sort of thing as well. Thanks, Yola.

Kay.

dinahsmum
16-01-2006, 10:03 AM
It's on again tonight, if anyone wants to catch it. Sure they'll do a quick recap at the start to allow you to catch up - although Yola's critique was spot on!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_1_115.gif

Fran
16-01-2006, 10:07 AM
Might take a peek at that DM, what time is it on and which channel?

yola
16-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Tonight (Monday). I think it's BBC1 at about 9pm, but worth checking as I'm useless and channels :roll:

dinahsmum
16-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Tonight (Monday). I think it's BBC1 at about 9pm, but worth checking as I'm useless and channels :roll:

Yep - think that's right.

Jac
16-01-2006, 11:12 AM
I missed it last night but I will watch it tonight. I enjoyed it last week, although it did take me a few mns to get my head round it.

dinahsmum
24-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Am becoming quite intrigued by this series! Enjoyed last night's episode, although I guessed whodunnit quite early on :( . Loved when Tyler and Hunt simultaneously punched the RCS prima donna :shock: (who was like Trigger from Only Fools and Horses wasn't he?, who is the father of one of my daughter's best friends at university, but that's another story ). Surely it is OTT in its take on the 1970s and 70s cop shows? But that is half the fun i suppose, the over the top parody?
Do hope Sam gets back and rescues his love interest from 2006 :)

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/993.gif

yola
24-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Surely it is OTT in its take on the 1970s and 70s cop shows? But that is half the fun i suppose, the over the top parody?

D'ya know DM - that is almost word-for-word the conclusion that hubby and I came to last night when watching this!!

This is a fascinating series as it does oscilate between a serious and rather frightening concept (like when the test card girl comes out of the TV and talks to Sam :shock: and last week's doors slamming and lights going out in the hospital corridor) and the almost slapstick elements of the fights and the tongue in cheeck 70s dialogue.

A VERY interesting programme and one of the best from the BBC for a bit methinks :)

Kim
25-01-2006, 12:46 AM
I think it is a fascinating programme, one of the best I've watched in ages. I can't remember 1973 being so bad - were the police so violent and intolerant and was the nation really this racist??!! I was only 11 though!! I love the old phones, (we had a two-tone yollow one!) I remember Watneys Party seven. Great nostalgia - can't wait to see what happens in the end.

dinahsmum
25-01-2006, 10:01 AM
I think it is a fascinating programme, one of the best I've watched in ages. I can't remember 1973 being so bad - were the police so violent and intolerant and was the nation really this racist??!! I was only 11 though!! I love the old phones, (we had a two-tone yollow one!) I remember Watneys Party seven. Great nostalgia - can't wait to see what happens in the end.

The fashion was that bad Kim - guys with floral shirts and collars like aeroplane wings! :lol:

samwise
25-01-2006, 04:22 PM
I have been enjoying this series as well!!
This week though, I saw the first 10 mins and then woke up to the credits!! I hate it when I do that!!

Kim
25-01-2006, 05:29 PM
The fashion was that bad Kim - guys with floral shirts and collars like aeroplane wings! :lol:

yes, I do remember that! My brother had some floral shirts and I can also remember he had these really wide shoes!!! :p

dinahsmum
30-01-2006, 12:26 PM
In tonight's episode Sam meets his Mum - who apparently tells him that her little boy wants to be a cop when he grows up......................:roll:

yola
30-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Can't wait!!!! I hope I can keep my eyes open for this - it's such a great show :-D

Kim
30-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I can't wait either - it's brill!

dinahsmum
31-01-2006, 02:15 PM
A bit darker last night wasn't it; with funny bits, rude bits and poignant bits added in?
I think that's one of the major reasons I like it - so many layers.

I'm just glad I haven't thrown something at the TV, saying 'this is just toooooo far fetched', which I was concerned about when I first heard of it.

(He is in a coma/between life and death state isn't he??????????) :?

yola
31-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I love the way the programme swings between presenting ridiculous situations to very plausible and frightening ones.

The character of Gene Hunt, the top-plod is getting stronger by the episode and the dynamic between him and Sam Tyler is amazing.

It was soooo spooky when me met with his Mum and I felt quite moved when he came back to his old house and found it empty.

Show this week was stolen by Ivanhoe the ginger and white cat tho ;)

dinahsmum
31-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Show this week was stolen by Ivanhoe the ginger and white cat tho ;)

How could I fail to give Ivanhoe a mention??????
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_19_1.gif

samwise
31-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I did it again!!!:mad:
Fell asleep on the sofa just before 9 and woke up at 2am, freezing!!!:roll: :roll:

dinahsmum
31-01-2006, 05:26 PM
I did it again!!!:mad:
Fell asleep on the sofa just before 9 and woke up at 2am, freezing!!!:roll: :roll:
as long as you didn't wake up handcuffed to the bed, naked, Lianne! :shock:
(you should have watched it, then you'd get the joke!)
Did you video it?
It's bound to be repeated;it's so good

Kim
01-02-2006, 12:02 AM
I loved the bit where Sam met Marc Bolan told him to be careful in cars, especially mini's!! Last nights episode was great - funny and serious and I just love the music!

dinahsmum
06-02-2006, 08:58 PM
9 o clock tonight remember!

samwise
06-02-2006, 09:23 PM
I have set the video, so even if I do start snoring on the sofa, I will see it tomorrow!!:oops: :D

dinahsmum
07-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Oh it was disappointing! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_3.gif
Guess it's almost inevitable there will be some weaker episodes.
Looking forward to next week though, after the trail where he hears his Mum's voice telling him she's decided he should be switched off..................

yola
07-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Yes - this one was weaker than the others - still, the characters are bonding nicely. Sam's Mother's voice on the phone at the end of the eposide made shivers run up my spine . . . and I've just realised - I won't see it!!! I will be in Austria . . . drat and double-drat :(

Naomi
07-02-2006, 02:38 PM
I started watching it last night but fell asleep half way through it. I never got to find out who done it :(

dinahsmum
07-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Yes - this one was weaker than the others - still, the characters are bonding nicely. Sam's Mother's voice on the phone at the end of the eposide made shivers run up my spine . . . and I've just realised - I won't see it!!! I will be in Austria . . . drat and double-drat :(

Set the video/recordable DVD/TV+ Yola!

Here's the preview

"Sam's (http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/lifeonmars/john_simm.shtml) two worlds appear to collide, when he hears what seems to be news of his impending death in 2006 - at the same time a man is threatening to kill a group of hostages in 1973.

Sam employs his 2006 methods of dealing with a hostage situation. Gene (http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/lifeonmars/philip_glenister.shtml)on the other hand, has his own style of approach – he wants to go in with all guns blazing.

As the clock ticks down, Sam faces a battle against time to ensure no one, from himself to the hostage taker, dies that day..."

yola
07-02-2006, 03:48 PM
DM - I don't want to leave the TV switched on . . . I think it has to be on standby to record. I was planning to turn all electrical off at the mains apart from one radio which I'll leave on for the cats. I don't want to take any chances with either the house or my 3 lil furries lives' and would rather eradicate all risk of fire by switching everything off!!!

dinahsmum
14-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Disappointing again last night. I have the feeling this is a four part series stretched to fill the available TV slots. :?

dinahsmum
21-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Thought it was back to its previous high standard last night.
Final episode next week :shock: :)

Am a little dismayed to hear of a second series being commisioned.............but I think that decision was made recently, so just hope there is a good ending next week. Watch this space.

yola
21-02-2006, 05:14 PM
It was remarkably good wasn't it??? Although I think I was still tired and can't quite remember the detail, just the gist. The bit at the curry house gave me goosebumps . . . Am very much looking forward to next week's episode to see how they round things off.

I'm surprised to hear of a 2nd series too. It would be nice if it could follow a similar theme but with different characters and a different era; essentially just use the framework of the 'concept' and take it in a new direction.

We'll see . . . .

dinahsmum
21-02-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm surprised to hear of a 2nd series too. It would be nice if it could follow a similar theme but with different characters and a different era; essentially just use the framework of the 'concept' and take it in a new direction..
How about DCI Hunt being knocked out in a bar brawl and going forward to 2006?! :)

yola
21-02-2006, 06:18 PM
How about DCI Hunt being knocked out in a bar brawl and going forward to 2006?! :)

Wicked, that IS an interesting twist!!! My slower and duller train of thought was more like someone experiencing a similar time travel episode but say to another decade. But then we're getting a bit close to the last series of Dr Who I suppose (WWII, Dickens' London etc).

Kim
21-02-2006, 10:49 PM
I thought last nights episode was really good. I've enjoyed all the episodes, but some have been better than others. I just have a horrible feeling that there won't be a conclusion as such next week......

I think it would be great if Gene went to 2006 - what a culture shock that would be for him!!

mishmunnypenny
21-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Been watching it too, think its good. Don't often watch tv but this has kept us watching.

What a good idea about Gene going to 2006! what a shock!!!! Been wondering how they'll finish it next week, but it could just be a horrible anti climax

dinahsmum
22-02-2006, 10:47 AM
We're all do apprehensive about the 'denoument' (?sp).
It's been nailed on that he is in a deep deep coma...................so I guess he will wake up??????? :smt102
Will we go back to the wierdo kidnap/killings and to Sam's love interest (?Maya) as she is in peril. If he's been in a coma for ages (which he would have if they are contemplating switching life-support off?) what has happened to her?
Not long to wait...............
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_17_3.gif

dinahsmum
27-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Fire will be stoked, phone off the hook, bar of chocie maybe, and I'm sooooooo looking forward to the end (Please, please, please make it good!)

Last time I enjoyed TV so much was Staet of Play (remember, political thriller?). I was so disappointed with the end of that. The character the writer/actor had shown us just would not have done that........so the whole thing fell down. IMO anyway.

dinahsmum
28-02-2006, 10:34 AM
:cat13 :cat13 :cat13 :cat13 :cat13 :cat13 :cat13 :cat13 :cat13 :cat13 :cat13 :cat13 :cat13 :cat13
You know that feeling when there's been a fascinating looking present under the tree at Christmas and you can't even start to think what might be in it and you think and wonder and puzzle and decide it must be something really special and out of the ordinary and Christmas comes and you save it till last and you peel off the ribbon and paper and you take your time to just make the moment last and then finally you take off the last layer of wrapping and it's a box of chocolates. :( Perfectly nice box of chocolates, nothing to go yuk about and in normal circumstances you'd be delighted...............but you had expected so much more. :(

I enjoyed all the body of last night's episode, kept glancing at the clock, thinking, wow - they're keeping the finale till the very very end. And it never came :( What a cop out (no pun intended). The 'coma' was just a device to put on a 70s cop show. The 'coma' was just a device to facilitate the series, in a 'Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased)' (remember that? - awful) sort of way.

TV - who'd bother? That's me back to my sport and movies, with occasional forays into It's Me Or The Dog

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/movingcat.gif

yola
28-02-2006, 11:42 AM
I loved the eposide per se, usual sparkling, witty dialogue and twists throughout, gave me serious goosebumps when he found himself speaking to himself as a little boy :shock: However I was completely uncertain at to what the end meant; is Sam mad and halucinating the future; is he actually dead and there is no hope of him returning; what was the purpose of the hospital sounds if he is not actually in a coma . . . sorry but I'm now totally confused with this plot :?

dinahsmum
28-02-2006, 11:48 AM
.........exactly Yola.
The 'racing commentary' .........."and Sam is definitely improving, Sam is making good progress" made me excited - yes, I know things are getting better, how is he going to get back to 2006?
Why was Annie wearing a red dress and why was his dad attacking her?
How many more times will people train guns on other people and nothing happen?
Then, Hunt and the others at the end "Don't be such a Jessie" "You've got to stay"...................................wha? why?

Most unsatisfactory. I don't think I'll watch another series :(
It did a 'State of Play' on me. Boo!

dinahsmum
28-02-2006, 12:06 PM
but I loved this exchange

Gene "I think you've forgotten who you're talking to"

Sam "An overweight, over the hill, nicotine stained, borderline alcoholic ... homophobe, with a superiority complex and an unhealthy obsession with male bonding."

Gene "You make that sound like a bad thing"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yola
28-02-2006, 01:31 PM
but I loved this exchange

Gene "I think you've forgotten who you're talking to"

Sam "An overweight, over the hill, nicotine stained, borderline alcoholic ... homophobe, with a superiority complex and an unhealthy obsession with male bonding."

Gene "You make that sound like a bad thing"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DM - were you taking notes???? That is transcribed verbatim from the show!! And yes - that is exactly the dialogue that I was thinking of when I made the comment about sparky repartee. I don't often laugh out loud at anything on the TV but did very much at that!!!

I think I will watch the next series despite feeling let down by the ending of this series - the characters developed so well throughout that I'm quite interested to see which direction they take.

As for the PC in the red dress - apart from the fact he 'foresaw' what was going to happen because he'd seen it as a child; I think there will be some link between his father and 2006 which will only manifest towards the end of the next series.

dinahsmum
28-02-2006, 01:34 PM
No Yola - nicked the quote from another forum....DigitalSpy - who have been having great fun analysing it.

Also the mixed metaphor bit
Hunt - Was that OK Gladys?
Tyler - Yes that was a simile
:lol:

dinahsmum
28-02-2006, 01:42 PM
here's the link Yola http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=326536
You can read the 63 pages as people agonise over the meaning!
Gene Hunt...why that name?
Is Annie Sam's conscience/anima?
etc etc

yola
28-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Gosh - I read 5 pages and then skipped to the last few pages (got work to do :roll:). However some VERY interesting theories there - specially the very last one which says 'what if the person that knocked Sam down actually was in some way tied to the 2 eras . . . '

Food for thought indeed :?

Kim
01-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Well, I have heard they are making another series so I kinda expected that he would not come back to the present day. Great episode, great dialogue as usual. I did wonder why Annie was wearing a red dress too!!

samwise
01-03-2006, 01:14 AM
I felt a bit let down by the ending as well, although I did enjoy the episode. I hadnt heard about the 2nd series until the next day. Will look forward to the next series, but hope they dont string things out too long and ruin it!

dinahsmum
21-11-2006, 10:18 AM
It won an Emmy award yesterday!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_8_10v.gif

New series shortly (and they've confirmed it will be the final series)
here's the link to the award http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6168076.stm

yola
21-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Well done Life on Mars!!! Certainly completely deserved as it was excellent. :D Will be getting hubby the DVD of series 1 for Christmas. I so rarely get vids/DVDs of things on TV . . . Morse was the last one :shock: but for this I'll make an exception.

Look forward with eager anticipation to the forthcoming new series . . .

As a complete aside, I will always remember LoMf or the fact that I sat through a whole episode at the beginning of the year with a positive pregnancy test up my sleeve (literally) waiting for an opportune moment to share the news with hubby :-D I therefore have even more of a sort spot for it . . . positive associations etc :roll:

yola
04-02-2007, 11:25 PM
13th of February series two is starting . . . :D

Kim
05-02-2007, 12:06 AM
:D :D Great, I loved this series.

dinahsmum
05-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Yay! :smt041
Thanks Yola!
(did you notice (in another thread) that there is a mini-series (?3 programmes) of Lewis due in February too? - we'll all be square eyed! :) )

yola
05-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Yay! :smt041
Thanks Yola!
(did you notice (in another thread) that there is a mini-series (?3 programmes) of Lewis due in February too? - we'll all be square eyed! :) )

No, I didn't know about Lewis - funnily enough me and OH were just talking about that last night. I shall definitely be watching it, as I thought the pilot show was very promising. Unless of course it's scheduled against LOM . . . :shock:

dinahsmum
12-02-2007, 01:22 PM
John Simm & Philip Glenister on radio5 at 2pm today if you are interested.
The previews I've read tend to suggest that we should just sit back and enjoy the seventies, rather than expect revelations about his health and how he is going to get back to 2007. OK

dinahsmum
12-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Correction
Only Philip Glenister - Simms' wife has just calved down, so he is excused!

dinahsmum
14-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Did you see it?
Episode one was very dark - and very good.
Episode two was on BBC4 straight after, so we watched that as well. It was very much more a classic cop show, Sam's demons hardly figured at all, but it was very good nonetheless, and I'm glad it wasn't as dark and threatening as the first.
Pleased for Annie getting to CID and intrigued by Sam and Anie nearly getting it on (but what about his emperiled partner from the very first programme?)

yola
14-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Yes, I watched both too :oops: I was a bit baffled by the 1st episode but that's just coz my brain's not working at full capacity and also I missed the 1st ten minutes.

Episode 2 was excellent . . . but I really think I have short term memory loss as I can't remember it too clearly. Something to do with having to wake up 3 times between 11pm and 6am during the night I suspect :roll:

dinahsmum
12-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Don't miss it tomorrow Yola. The plot involves attendance at a 'swingers' party' :roll: :shock: . Sam & Annie go as a couple and I think it's Gene and a.n.other who attend as a pair called Tony and Cherie Blair! :-D :-D :-D
Sounds fun!

dinahsmum
21-03-2007, 11:05 AM
What did you think of last night's episode Yola? I thought it was great. Loved the Camberwick Green take-off at the start :-D
Annie's clothes are sooooo evocative. I had a tightly fitted waistcoat with wide revers, floral blouse with extra full sleeves and flyaway collar and wide wide trousers. And a belted raincoat like she was wearing with wide revers, tight belt and double stitching. Mine was a dull pale blue rather than the pale rust she was wearing.
Ah .......

Edit: here's a theory as to "what the heck is going on?" I found on another forum. I like it! Don't think it will spoil anything, but I'll do it faint/little in case you don't want to see
Sam is faced with a choice at the end of the series - he is offered the chance to wake up in 2007 and sever the link to 1973, or allow himself to die in 2007 and continue to live with Annie in the past.

He decides that he will stay in 1973 and is actually an old man driving the car that hits him in 2006. He has to 'hit' himself to ensure his transportation to the past and ensure he meets Annie.

dinahsmum
22-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Just for Yola!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixsc9POvY7E

yola
22-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Hilary - we saw the Camberwick Green bit at the beginning . . . I had to check that Dominik's DVD wasn't still playing :oops: But when we realised what it was we were both on the floor in stitches . . . again, poor Luise who watched it with us was completely baffled :roll:

I too was thinking only yesterday how especially authentic Annie looks . . . although I was only 8 at the time, I do remember seeing lots of girls dressed like that and wanting to look like that too!

And the ending?? I did read your small text and it would indeed by an interesting theory . . . and would bring a logical conclusion to the way the plot is developing . . . he's not fighting 1973 so hard now is he?

CathyW
22-03-2007, 02:35 PM
i love the prog, it brings back memories of the clothing and the music, i was a young lass then :)

Kim
22-03-2007, 06:34 PM
This series is fantastic!! I loved the 'swingers party' episode, so hilarious them going as Tony & Cherie! Tuesday nights 'Camberwick Green' opening was fab! The 70's was definitely 'my' era and this brings back so many memories. I love the way the relationship with Sam & Annie is developing and Sam getting used to living in 1973. Excllent and clever script writing. Although I don't want the series to end I almost can't wait to find out what happens either. I love your conclusion idea DM!

dinahsmum
23-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Maya is back in next week's eposode.
Remember Maya - right at the beginning? The kidnap/danger of murder.

yola
23-03-2007, 11:05 AM
What . . . Sam's girlfriend from 2006? Does she turn up in 1973??? Where do you get your information from DM??

dinahsmum
23-03-2007, 12:24 PM
What . . . Sam's girlfriend from 2006? Does she turn up in 1973??? Where do you get your information from DM??
That's her Yola - I have been wondering if/how she will be saved (remember, she had been kidnapped by the murderer who appeared to be copying a 1973 murder)

If you have a couple of days to spare look at this dedicated forum http://domeofstars.com/forum/index.php ..... and no I am not a member, hadn't seen the site till yesterday. There aren't half some keen people there though! :smile:

Only 3 more episodes :sad: I heard John Simms on the radio yesterday and he appeared to agree that it was now clear that Sam was in a coma .... but maybe he was just tossing us a red herring - as if we need more.

yola
23-03-2007, 12:58 PM
On a slightly different note, did you see John Simm in 'The Yellow House' last night? He played V V Gogh superbly!! Truly introspective, seedy and obsessed.

Just had a quick look at your link, and OMG . . . when I do have 6 months to spare :shock: I will see if I can get some insight into the minds of those that have nothing better to do that theorise about a fictional television programme . . . bizarre!!! :shock: ;) :shock:

dinahsmum
23-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Well I would have thought you would love browsing that site Yola! I love the series but ..........

Anyway - are the names significant? As we've asked before Gene Hunt, Hyde etc etc? Here's the Maya theories - enjpy! Nothing like a bit of metaphysics :roll:

The literal meaning of the word 'Maya' is illusion. Any thing which is added to the reality is illusion or Maya, and this veiling power of illusion is able to create the difference between 'me' or 'mine', or 'thee' or 'thine'. Maya creates the ignorance of the individual self.

Maya is the phenomenal world of separate objects and people, which creates for some the illusion that it is the only reality. For the mystics this manifestation is real, but it is a fleeting reality; it is a mistake, although a natural one, to believe that maya represents a fundamental reality.

Kim
23-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Just noticed your avatar DM - it is fab!!

yola
24-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Me too!!!! LOL . . . you really must get out more DM . . . ;)

dinahsmum
24-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Me too!!!! LOL . . . you really must get out more DM . . . ;)
:-D
I didn't write that Maya bit Yola - lifted it from 'The Railway Arms' :oops: They are def a lot madder than we are!

dinahsmum
30-03-2007, 09:36 AM
So, anyone have a theory?
Is it Wizard of Oz?
Peggy Sue Got Married?
Jacob's Ladder?
Quantum Leap?
or something new (could there be anything new?)

Is he in a coma? dead? time traveller?

I dunno :smt017 - dead maybe?

John Simm says he's really pleased with the ending and insists "It will blow your socks off".
Only 2 weeks to wait.

dinahsmum
10-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Last episode tonight :(
I'm looking forward to it in a sad sort of way. Certainly my only must-see TV for a long long time.
Any last minute theories? I've given up really ... too much thinking takes away from the enjoyment.
The only silly idea I have is that the characters at the cop shop are all facets of Sam's character. Morgan and Hunt are the good cop/bad cop part of him, Ray and Chris are his stupid and dumb traits, Annie shows his softer more intuitive side ...... but how that fits the story, who knows? :smt102

yola
10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
My only (half baked and founded on no reason at all) theory is that Sam is told that in order to go back to 2006 he has to agree to the killing off of all his 1973 colleagues. So he has to make a choice between which life he wants to lead with no strings attached in either world (so to speak).

But I hear they are mooting a 1980s version of same story . . . not sure how and who with though :?

dinahsmum
11-04-2007, 01:19 PM
What did you think? I liked it.
Here's an article from one of the writers which ties up a few lose ends http://blogs.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ianwylie/2007/04/life_on_mars_the_answers.html

dinahsmum
11-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Now, John Simm/Sam Tyler is rather attractive in a lost puppy sort of way. Like this

http://wwwdogsey.com/pics/25284Johnhasagreatsmile.jpg

but hair, make up and costume can change an actor rather spectacularly! Would you have fancied this Nick Witchell lookalike as DCI Tyler? :lol:

http://wwwdogsey.com/pics/25523John%20Simm%20-%20scarey!%20JPG.JPG

yola
11-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I thought is was truly superb! And I was gobsmacked that my theory wasn't that far off the mark :shock: Ken theorised that maybe it was a kind of double-bluff and that he really WAS from the 70s and jumped of the 00s building to effectively 'end' the fantasy of living in the future. Could be - but after reading the link I think not.

I'm sorry to read that the (very) lovely John Simm won't be back in Ashes to Ashes.

dinahsmum
16-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Yola - think you'll like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE89eOERgG0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE89eOERgG0)

Kim
16-04-2007, 11:10 PM
I thought it was superb too, I loved the ending, but will miss this series desperately (how sad am I?!) I think John Simm/Sam looks particulalry attractive and lovely in the first pic DM! :)

dinahsmum
17-04-2007, 10:11 AM
I thought it was superb too, I loved the ending, but will miss this series desperately (how sad am I?!) I think John Simm/Sam looks particulalry attractive and lovely in the first pic DM! :)
*sigh* = the first LoM-free Tuesday - how will we cope! :)

Here's another pic for you Kim. Maybe a bit too cheesey for me - and he looks very young. Gets a bit creepy when your pin-ups look too much like your son :( He must be one of the small proportion of men who age well. I think he's approaching 40? Wearing it well!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/BW.jpg

yola
17-04-2007, 10:26 AM
DM - you are one bad girl posting pics like that. I hate to admit it, but for the first time in a very, very long time my lil old heart went 'flutter' when I scrolled down :oops: :oops:

I shall have to snag n save that one . . . .

And the link? Well, I need to go and mop my eyes now, good grief - must be hormonal or something :roll:

dinahsmum
17-04-2007, 10:31 AM
DM - you are one bad girl posting pics like that. I hate to admit it, but for the first time in a very, very long time my lil old heart went 'flutter' when I scrolled down :oops: :oops:

I shall have to snag n save that one . . . .

And the link? Well, I need to go and mop my eyes now, good grief - must be hormonal or something :roll:

Happy to have brightened your day!
The VAT wil go like a dream now :)

Kim
17-04-2007, 03:07 PM
*sigh* = the first LoM-free Tuesday - how will we cope! :)

Here's another pic for you Kim. Maybe a bit too cheesey for me - and he looks very young. Gets a bit creepy when your pin-ups look too much like your son :( He must be one of the small proportion of men who age well. I think he's approaching 40? Wearing it well!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/BW.jpg

<<sigh>> Yes, how WILL we cope without our weekly LoM fix!

I love that photo DM, he is really VERY attractive, not that much younger than me either :-D :-D

Dearster
17-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Yea BBC released that an 80's spin off of Life On Mars is being released, "ashes to ashes" is what its being called. Another David Bowie Song Name. Although certain actors/actresses havnt been filled yet so might be a while.

yola
17-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Ashes to Ashes is due for release in early 2008. 3 of the LOM characters will definitely be coming through into the new series.

I for one, can't wait. Although it won't have the talented Mr Simm in it, I'm sure it'll not be a disappointment (btw Dearster, I was your age when the original Ashes to Ashes single by Bowie was released :shock: . . . . )

Dearster
17-04-2007, 10:38 PM
Who are those 3 characters yola? Gene and who are the other 2?

And cool, yea i like the life on mars song, havent reli heard any others.

Should be another gd series tho

yola
17-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Dearster - you should check out Bowie's work - it's superb! Right from Ziggy Stardust through to stuff in the 80s like Let's Dance. A must-listen-to for angst-ridden teens (not being patronising here, but speaking from experience way back when), is Low. Recorded by Bowie in Berlin and a forerunner of all the electronic pop that came in the late 70s early 80s.

Anyway, back to the TV thingie . . . apart from Gene, I think Ray and Chris will be time travelling to the 80s with him. They will meet up with a lady detective travelling back from 2008 who will create major friction of one sort or another ;) with Gene.

Dearster
17-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Yea heard about the female role in the programme, that the role they still need to find someone to fill i was reading.

Not really into the Hip Hop, RnB crazed Chav music which is currently around. More into Bon jovi, U2, REM and some metal - Bullet for my valentine, Megadeth etc

dinahsmum
18-04-2007, 02:18 PM
:roll:
Yola
Think it's time you went to the theatre. Have you seen this? http://www.bushtheatre.co.uk/productions/elling.html
The theatre only seats about 80, so you'd be close enough to get a real good lust, sorry!,- look!

yola
18-04-2007, 02:23 PM
HILARY!!!!! Stop it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Bush Theatre is a bus-ride away from my Mum's . . . oh no, you've got me thinking about it now.

It'll probably be full of John Simm groupies anyway . . .

(so I'll be in good company ;) )

dinahsmum
18-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Well - go on then! If it's that easy it's got to be done!

dinahsmum
24-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Another pic for Yola - play opens tomorrow i think! ;) :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v393/Dinahsmum/indexLarge.jpg