PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Neighbour Night Attack

Donna
07-01-2006, 11:18 AM
So angry.

Was woken up last night at 2am to a low growling noise - it was Chloe who was hiding on the stairs terrified. She doesnt hiss but just makes a low "i am worried" kind of growl. Thought Misty and her were fighting but was mistaken. :(

After waking up a bit more I could hear Misty hissing and then a commotion(sp?) broke out with screaching, hissing, crying etc etc. :(

Jumped out of bed and ran downstairs to see the NASTY NEIGHBOUR in my house!! :cry: It ran out the cat flap.

Misty and Chloe were terrified. :( All their food had been eaten :(.

The nasty bully cat had broken through my magnetic cat flap so now I have locked it up and blocked it up with my bathroom scales. What am I to do?? I now cant leave the flap unlocked, so there is no point having the flap. My cats are now unable to go outside and are prisoners in their own home.

Really annoyed. Rant over.:cry:

Fran
07-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Oh dear Donna :( It maybe that you might have to resort to keeping it locked and blocked up at night and just having it open when you are around?? What a nightmare :( Hope you manage to sort this out somehow :? Do you know who the cat belongs to?

Mags
07-01-2006, 12:27 PM
Oh that must have been a shock for you Donna! That cat is a nuisance....pity you don't know who owns it:mad: I have had problems with cats coming through the cat flap in the past......now I always lock it when Cassie is asleep indoors and when she is in for the night at around 7.30pm.
Hope you can get something sorted out about this 4 legged terror:roll:

Elfin
07-01-2006, 01:22 PM
How awful, poor wee mites must have been terrified. Hope you get something resolved soon.

Jeanette
07-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Oh poor babies:-(

I would perhaps either keep the cats in and the flap locked, when I wasnt around. Or perhaps make a run for the cats to be in. Of course that limits the area for your cats to go, but atleast they could get out in your garden and not having to worry about that bully

dinahsmum
07-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Oh Donna - what a pain for you - and worse for Misty and Chloe:(
Can you just get a plain replacement cat flap and close it when you go to bed? Or, if you think your girls will want out before you get up, put the catch so it allows 'out' but doesn't allow 'in'? (That would leave them marooned outside though, if they went out very early)
Hope you get something sorted. Blooming bully!

LMC
07-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I have a neighbourhood bully as well - and a normal cat flap. The < expletives deleted > little < censored > can break through, even if it's locked. And may end up leaving it on out only, which means if my girls get out, they are trapped outside and can't get in.

I lock and block the catflap at night, but mine want out during the day. Occasionally at this time of year I'll just keep 'em in all day and leave the block, but they won't thank me for that when the weather gets better.

I love cats... but if I can catch that ... thing, it's straight in a box and I'm calling the CPL - although it's in good enough nick that I think it must have a home, it has no collar, and I don't know who it belongs to, so "I thought it was a stray" http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/images/smilies/14.gif

Kazz
07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Okay I have to own up here I am the owner of a bully cat Oscar :shock: honestly in his younger days hes terrorise the neighbourhood far and wide. Go through cat flaps eat their food, beat the cats up :roll: I at first was not aware of his exploits but realised when my neighbour mentioned his three siamese were "hounded and stalked by a large white and ginger Tom":oops: Before I was lynched I moved (was in the last stages of moving anyhow to here) and when we moved(Oscaar Cleo and I) he settled down I always putit down to the fact where we lived was a "awash with cats" and he either got fed up of being picked on or was that was inclinded anyhow.
In this house he never bothered anyone's cat although he would not be picked on or let Cleo be picked on.

So please bear in mind the bully cat could well be someone's much loved cat and they may or may not be aware or even able to prevent it happening.

And LMC I have to mention if you'd picked my Oscar up and took him to a shelter I would not be best pleased maybe the way is put a collar on him
and maybe a message asking the owners to contact you so you can talk.

Oh and I have to mention too my Cleo has been the victim of a bully cat and her life was made a complete misery until Oscar (her brother sorted him out) and now she's old and alone (catwise) I have been concerned about the cat flap but figure it would be a very brave cat who managed to get past Sal and Tess to get to Cleo so she has her bodyguards in place and her old age in peace.

Karen

Donna
07-01-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions....

Think from now on the catflap is locked when I am out and at night. I will only allow them out for a few minutes at a time when I get up, when I get in and before bed. Not ideal, but not much more I can do.

No idea where this cat comes from but it doesnt look like a stray. This is a very densely populated area (cats as well) so could belong to anyone!!!

Just annoyed my kitties have to have a restricted life due to a nasty bully cat.

LMC
07-01-2006, 08:16 PM
I've considered putting a collar and message on the cat, but if he belongs to the family I think he belongs to a complaint would just cause aggro and I live on my own and don't want to take the risk. When I said he is in good enough nick that he's not a stray, that's what I meant - he's by no means a pampered pussy and seems to live outside - which makes me think he can't have much of a home to be honest - he spends most of his time in my garden waiting to get into my house http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif Of course, you couldn't have known that 'cos I only just told you!

So fair comment Kazz and apologies. But I suspect we are *both* being over-sensitive here - you because you've recently lost Oscar and me because it makes me http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif that my cats get terrorised in their own home - I've had three trips to the vet with abcesses in the last year.

Kazz
07-01-2006, 09:53 PM
See I didn't know that - I feel sorry for cats like him virtually "left to his own devices" I know its a silly question but have you tried the "waterpistol technique" I am no help and I may be a little over sensitive but I do think that in honestly with even the most caring owner in the world "a cat that terrorises others" is a darned nuisence I know Oz was being and I even tried telling him to stop but he didnt.

Donna I think the sentence This is a very densely populated area (cats as well) so could belong to anyone!!! could well be the key with cats being forced to live almost on top of each other and "their territory as they see it populated with unkown cats"

I know it does not help but I do feel for you all and know I would resort to any measures to keep Cleo safe in her own garden and house but luckily the dogs do that for me :?

Karen

Donna
07-01-2006, 10:22 PM
See I didn't know that - I feel sorry for cats like him virtually "left to his own devices" I know its a silly question but have you tried the "waterpistol technique" I am no help and I may be a little over sensitive but I do think that in honestly with even the most caring owner in the world "a cat that terrorises others" is a darned nuisence I know Oz was being and I even tried telling him to stop but he didnt.

Donna I think the sentence This is a very densely populated area (cats as well) so could belong to anyone!!! could well be the key with cats being forced to live almost on top of each other and "their territory as they see it populated with unkown cats"

I know it does not help but I do feel for you all and know I would resort to any measures to keep Cleo safe in her own garden and house but luckily the dogs do that for me :?

Karen

I do feel sorry for this bully cat to be honest. He cant have much of a life if he finds terrorising my little cats fun. He is ALWAYS outside. Never inside having cuddles on the sofa, playing, laying in front of the fire. Oh well.

I have tried the water pistol attack but he is SO QUICK. Never managed to get him yet. Have been looking at this today:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7336&Ne=40000&R=12204&N=2002+113262 (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=7336&Ne=40000&R=12204&N=2002+113262)

What do the more experienced cat owners think of something like this? Or should I save the money and just let them out when I am around. They dont seem to mind being in too much, but know in summer they will probably want to be out more.

I would never resort to hurting this cat or doing anything wrong. In fact when he came into my house once and lost his way back out I managed to pick him up and I talked to him and told him to be a nice cat!!! (I know. I am mad!!!) He obviously didnt listen!!

Fran
07-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Looks like a great idea Donna...Is it available in this country do you know or have you to order it from America?

Donna
07-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Looks like a great idea Donna...Is it available in this country do you know or have you to order it from America?

Did have a quick look at work on the internet but didnt find a UK site. Will keep looiing, or if anyone else on CP can recommend a site for me to find some protection for my kitties?

I need a long tunnel leading onto some sort of pen/run as I have about 20' path to walk down towards the main garden being a Victorian house with extensions on the back.

Many thanks if anyone can help!!

LMC
07-01-2006, 11:29 PM
I've tried the waterpistol technique, but that cat only has to hear me coming (or if it's in the garden, hear the door or window opening) and it's gone out of range. I used to feel sorry for it, but now it's just driving me mad. What irritates me most is that the cat population thing is no excuse for it - my house is at the closed end of a cul de sac which is 5 houses long and the cat doesn't come from any of those or the ones opposite - it's from somewhere over the main road I believe. And I have school grounds next to my garden - LOADS of space (and they have a wildlife area which is overgrown that the cat could use.)

Interesting website Donna - the dollar is in our favour at the moment, so if p&p isn't too extortionate then it might even be worth ordering from the US.

bobbie3917
08-01-2006, 07:35 PM
if this was happening to me this is what i would do.

get a cat trap from either your vet or the council (might be free off the council) catch him and send him to a cat rescue, i know some might think its not right but if you don't want a cat in your garden/home then it is your right to do this and it is not bracken any laws.

i do know of a lady that done this but done things a little different she coat the cat had him done and then set him free and he was like a different cat and ever bothered her cats again