PDA

View Full Version : How many litterboxes do you have?

Jeanette
05-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Oliver is driving me mad...

He's using Luna's basket to pee in.. Not every time.. Not every day, but when HE thinks his litterbox is dirty.

So I was wondering.. How many litterboxes would you have for 1 cat??

Oh and it seems he is pooing more on this diet food:? Does that make sense??

Fran
05-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I have 2 litter boxes for 3 cats (2 of my cats won't use a litter box)

Donna
05-01-2006, 07:15 PM
Two cats = 1 litter tray.

Maybe the diet food is full of fibre to "speed things along" so not absorbing so many calories?????????????

Mags
05-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I have 1 litter box for 1 cat.......but she does have access to the outside so does most of her business out there. She very rarely uses it....only if she is caught short in the night (she is locked indoors at night).

Moli
05-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I have 2 litter boxes for 4 cats,

Jeanette
05-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Could you guys please tell your cats to tell Oliver to get a grip????

Moli
05-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Could you guys please tell your cats to tell Oliver to get a grip????It is frustrationg I know Jeanette, when Merlin had cystitis he kept peeing in the dogs bed, no sooner had I washed one, he did in another one, I was about tearing my hair out!!!

Fran
05-01-2006, 07:25 PM
It is frustrationg I know Jeanette, when Merlin had cystitis he kept peeing in the dogs bed, no sooner had I washed one, he did in another one, I was about tearing my hair out!!!

I was just thinking about that and wondering if you maybe should have a chat with the vet J?

Jeanette
05-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Well he doesnt do it that often... It can be weeks or months between.. I'm quite sure that's not the problem.. Its cos his box isnt clean enough..

But he will be going to the vet at some point (please God, just not right now.....)

Moli
05-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Why don't you try putting another tray down Jeanette??

Fran
05-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Has there been any change in his routine that would cause him to feel insecure in anyway J?

Jeanette
05-01-2006, 07:37 PM
No I dont think so... Nothing's happened.. Other than his going on a diet... ANd new year's eve, but he doesnt seemed bothered by that at all, just slept as usual

Jeanette
05-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Why don't you try putting another tray down Jeanette??

I think I will.. Its worth a try...

EmmaG
05-01-2006, 07:43 PM
2 cats = one tray.

Have you tried reading Vicky Halls book on cat behaviour? it gives some great advice on this subject.

Jeanette
05-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Hi emma

No I havent.. Will see if I can find it on my library, thanks:)

CathyW
05-01-2006, 09:39 PM
2 trays,3 cats

Kittyfoot
06-01-2006, 02:06 PM
We have 5 litter boxes for 7 cats and they tend to use whichever they're near. Creates a problem only with Kiki our oldest lady who simply refuses to use a box that has been used by another. Freshly cleaned box only for her ladyship will do thenkyew.:lol:

BTW, we noticed that often any change in foods or diet often causes a "loose stool" in our various kits. Once tummy adjusts things go back to normal.

Kazz
06-01-2006, 05:07 PM
When my two were tiny (love 'em) I had two boxes for two tiny kittens:roll: maybe a little OTT and now they use the garden. Put another tray down J if you have the space.

Jeanette
06-01-2006, 06:18 PM
Hiya Karen

Yeah its the space there's the big problem.. I dont really have much room for it.. But I will try to find somewhere..

Kittyfoot: Its not loose stools, quite normal, just more frequently than usual..

Elaine
15-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Currently I have 3 trays for 3 cats but before we had Bernie, we still had 3 trays for 2 cats as we were experiencing some problems with Eva as she was coming into adulthood. She still has the odd flare up but I simply dont have the space for a fourth tray. I have rubber mats around all the trays which helps alot for Eva's little misshaps because if she decides not to poo in the tray, she will poo on the rubber mat which makes things much easier to clean up.

Jeanette
29-01-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi

Thought I would give an update..

I brought up the other litterbox, so Oliver now has 2 litterboxes.. And he hasnt peed in Luna's basket since..

He really is a weird little fella.. He's never had a problem like this before:roll: :roll:

Well I dont mind, as long as he isnt peeing all over...:)

Mags
29-01-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm glad Oliver seems to have got the message Jeanette...makes thigs a lot easier for you...and Luna!

Jeanette
29-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Thank you Mags

Yes it does make things easier and me less annoyed:)

Booktigger
29-01-2006, 08:05 PM
It's amazing what makes a difference to them at times!!
I currently have 6 cats and 4 trays (one of them rarely uses a tray) - when the 2 lodgers go in the next couple of weeks, I will have 3 trays for 4 cats. Not the 1 tray per cat plus 1 spare that is the rule though. I have to say that their are 2 favourite trays in my house - one is the one in my bedroom (I do have up to 4 cats in my room at night though), and the other, quite surprisingly is in teh bathroom. as it is next to the toilet, easy to keep clean!!

Jeanette
29-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Untill 3 years ago I had 2 cats.. And they had 2 litterboxes.

And Oliver never had a problem.. Its only started after I put him on the diet food....

I used to have the litterbox in the bathroom, but I've moved and my hall (which leads to bathroom, bedroom and frontdoor is really drafty and cold, so I have the door between the hall and livingroom/kitchen closed.

The litterboxes are now on the floor in the livingroom/kitchen area.. And yes Luna leaves them alone:)

When I first got Luna, I had Oliver's litterbox on top of the washingmaschine in the bathroom, so she's never had access to it.. Dont know if that's why she's never touched it.. She certainly wont walk past (sp?) one on our walks:roll:

Moli
29-01-2006, 09:02 PM
So pleased the problem with Oliver has been resolved Jeanette.....

Elaine
29-01-2006, 09:03 PM
An animal psycic told me that Eva would midden outside of the blue box because thats the box she wants for herself. Well Winstons box is blue and we have since then moved that box from the kitchen to the bedroom, as thats where Winston spends most of his time these days. And she will still on occasion midden outside the same box. Cannt think why she would prefer that box as it is too small for her. Anyway there might be something in it. Might get Winston a new box and put the blue box somewhere else just to test the theory.

CJK
29-01-2006, 09:55 PM
i have only one, didnt have any until we got Mr darcy, as since mine were allowed out they ahvent used one.
plan to get a covered one soon as i can get to shops, now mr d has grown some i noticed today he looks kinda squished when using it

Jeanette
30-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Thank you Pat:)

Well I have 2 covered.. And they do prevent a lot of mess...

Booktigger
30-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Jeannette, what diet food is he on??

Jeanette
30-01-2006, 07:20 PM
He is on Hill's Prescription Diet r/d dry

He's always been on dry, and the latest was Hill's science plan senior hairball control..