PDA

View Full Version : Feeding kittens

dinahsmum
05-01-2006, 02:01 PM
OK - haven't got them yet but I was wondering what those of you who've had kittens recently have fed and would recommend.
Would like to hear all opinions - can't guarantee to use any of them but I need some ideas, it's been so long since I've had a baby around
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif

Fran
05-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Claude and Clooney had both Whiskers kitten meat and Whiskers kitten biscuits. I did try James Wellbeloved kitten biscuits but they wouldn't entertain those :roll:

My new baby's breeder uses Royal canin...

dinahsmum
05-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks Fran :)
Maybe things haven't changed so much then - I used Whiskas kitten all those years ago! But it came in little half-size tins; is it still in tins or has it moved to pouches now too?

Fran
05-01-2006, 02:20 PM
I think it comes in both DM. I used the little half sized tins. I used to buy a pack of four from the supermarket. I am assuming the pouches will be chunks in jelly and I didn't like the idea of them just licking the jelly off and leaving the chunks. At least with the meat in the tins you know they are eating it all sort of speak...

Felix also do little half sized tins too but I think theirs are chunks in jelly but couldn't be sure :?

Elfin
05-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Sappho is a felix kitten girl with the odd bit of tuna as a treat. She adores Hills hard pellet food and actually prefers that to the wet food (strange cat :shock: )

Mags
05-01-2006, 03:41 PM
I started Cassie on Whiskas kitten food and she developed the runs. Took her to the vet who said not to give Whiskas kitten food as it was too rich for her system.....he told me to buy the cheap cat food from the supermarket. The day after I switched to it she was absolutely fine again!:-P I kept her on it for a few months, then switched back to Whiskas and found her tum could then cope with it

dinahsmum
05-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks everyone - and I hope there may be more postings here.
It's all very interesting. I haven't fed wet cat food for years............mainly because Tizzie is such a 'barfer' and she has been much better on the dry food for bulk, bit of canned tuna for *whatever it is we give things like that for........because we can't conceive of going through life eating just 'biscuit' day after day after day*
So, that's really why I'm asking, I'm not a Whiskas, or any other canned food, fan. It's made with goodness only knows what, they tend to just suck off the jelly or gravy and leave the lumps, and it would mean kits on one regime, oldies on another.

Think I'd better go off to the Burns site and see if they make a kitten biscuit. I can always give them a scrape of tuna or fresh fish or mince with the biscuit.
(I'm confused/unsure, did you guess? Good thing it's taking a while to find them; they'd be sitting here starving whilst I pondered!:) )
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif

Luke
05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
all our kittens have allways had the tins of Whiskas kitten food bar Elsa who found it far to rich for her so like Mags, we were advised to put her onto cheaper supermarket kitten food, she was fine and now she can take the whiskas pouches

dinahsmum
05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
If kitten bellies can't stand Kitten Whiskas, why on earth don't they re-formulate and call it Whiskas Gentle or something. Sure they could produce it with all the goodies required for the babies to thrive without the rich excesses? :smt102
I can remember poorly tums from way back, so it must have been going on for years:roll:

deester
05-01-2006, 04:53 PM
After changing over recently to royal canin i would highly reccomend it. Though haven't used the kitten food.

Fran
05-01-2006, 06:07 PM
I can honestly say I have raised all my kittens on Whiskers and I have never in the 20 years of owning cats had any cat with a sensitive tummy :cool:

smudgley
05-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Some of my litters are reared onto whiskas kitten meat - never had a problem. Others are weaned onto dry food of either Purina pro plan or Whiskas. Both are very good, although the pro-plan is a more "premium quality" food. I have also used Royal Canin kitten.
The main reason I prefer to feed dry is for my own convenience & as it can be left down without causing any problems.
I'm not a fan of Burns :( - but do know people who are :? & who speak very highly of it.

Donna
05-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Misty and Chloe started on Whiskas kitten pouches. They didnt have upset tummies but both didnt really like it. Tried all sorts. They did like Asda own brand kitten food (maybe stronger taste) and Felix kitten food pouches is what they mainly had. No bad tummies there.

Biscuits they had Whiskas kitten biscuits and liked those. Tried other sorts of biscuits but Misty sometimes got a runny tummy. So now stick with Felix fish/meat in jelly pouches and felix biscuits. Found the pouches made in the gravy formula never eaten either. Hope that helps.

Jeanette
05-01-2006, 07:26 PM
None of my cats have been able to eat wet food.. All got a runny tummy. Here in Denmark Whiskas is (like Pedigree for dogs) considered junk food.

I have fed Hills Science Plan and Royal Canin. Lately I've fed Hills again, as they have hairball control.. Oliver sheds like mad all year round. Right now he's on Hills r/d diet food.

Kittens have been on Hills Science Plan kitten food.

That said.. If I get another kitten, it will be rawfed (like Luna).. I've tried that with Oliver, but he's too stubborn..

Donna
05-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Another thought - my sister (not an animal lover) has a cat who she has fed on the cheapest cheapest own brand cat biscuits she can find (think she spends 47p a week on cat food) and her cat is a healthy cat (spends most of her time outside as my sister dont like her in the house).

Not saying that I agree with this because I dont. Dont believe she should be allowed to keep animals - as she doesnt look after them very well.

samwise
05-01-2006, 09:57 PM
My 2 had Whiskas kitten (dry and meat) as babies! They were fine and no upset tummies!

Naomi
06-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Moli was on Go-Cat kitten but she is now on Asda's own brand adult dry food. She wont eat kitten food anymore she turns her nose up at it :D

dinahsmum
07-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all your replies everyone http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_115.gif

I think I'll look into raw-feeding (which doesn't mean that I'll do it). Presume you don't have to do the veg thing with cats?????? Hmmm *heads off to google*

bobbie3917
08-01-2006, 08:34 PM
hi DM
Minx is on Whiskas kitten pouches (non of mine have ever liked the kitten super meat) and Royal canin growth and now Royal canin Kitten. both mine LOVE Royal canin. i have tried burns cat (at the time they didnt do kitten) and Scarlott loved that as well.

if you are thinking about raw for your kittens then there is a very good cat feeding group on yahoo, no i don't think there is any veg but more organ meat for cats.

i did try Scarlott on this but she cocked her nose up to it

Kay
10-01-2006, 07:43 PM
After changing over recently to royal canin i would highly reccomend it. Though haven't used the kitten food.

All my kittens are weaned on Royal Canin Kitten food and I recommend it to all my new owners. I supply them with a bag to try and keep continuity for them. I would however recommend that you find out what they are used to and use that for a few days at least before gradually introducing any new food. Any change can upset their stomachs and considering they are moving to a new home it is best to keep everything as normal as poss. Another thing I do to help kittens settle is to give the new owner a blanket with the litter and mothers smell on it for comfort. I have never had any kitten have a problem settling. Why not give the people you are getting your kitties from a blanket and ask them if they would put it with the kittens prior to you picking your babies up? Just a thought.

Kay.

Kay
10-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all your replies everyone http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_5_115.gif

I think I'll look into raw-feeding (which doesn't mean that I'll do it). Presume you don't have to do the veg thing with cats?????? Hmmm *heads off to google*

DM be very careful with raw food as it opens the kitten up to the possibility of infections.

Fran
10-01-2006, 07:59 PM
DM be very careful with raw food as it opens the kitten up to the possibility of infections.

Kay, could I ask what evidence there is to support not feeding kittens raw? and is it just kittens or cats as well?

Kay
10-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Kay, could I ask what evidence there is to support not feeding kittens raw? and is it just kittens or cats as well?

It is only what I have been told by friends that have bred for years and does appear to be kittens not cats. Probably due to them having immature systems. I know some breeders who raw feed their adults to bulk them up but only on human quality meats not pet quality. If I find out anymore will let you know Fran. :? :? :?

Kay.

Fran
10-01-2006, 08:18 PM
My dogs are raw fed and my puppies are initially weaned onto to raw too. Some of my cats have occasional raw. I have never had a problem of any description since feeding raw. I assumed that kittens would also be ok to be raw fed :?

Kay
10-01-2006, 08:31 PM
My dogs are raw fed and my puppies are initially weaned onto to raw too. Some of my cats have occasional raw. I have never had a problem of any description since feeding raw. I assumed that kittens would also be ok to be raw fed :?

I don't understand it either because Holly, my Bully, was raw fed as a pup but it does seem to be the general opinion around cat breeders. I suppose it is like everything ...... different opinions on the subject.

Fran
10-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Take a look at this site. It has some thought provoking ideas with regard to what to feed your cat. There is also a raw feeding section..

http://www.catinfo.org/

Kay
10-01-2006, 09:45 PM
Take a look at this site. It has some thought provoking ideas with regard to what to feed your cat. There is also a raw feeding section..

http://www.catinfo.org/

Thanks Fran. I found it very interesting. I still think I would be wary about weaning kittens on to it after all kittens in the wild feed a lot longer from their mums and therefore have a more mature system before the feed on raw meat. Just my opinion though.

Kay..

Fran
10-01-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks Fran. I found it very interesting. I still think I would be wary about weaning kittens on to it after all kittens in the wild feed a lot longer from their mums and therefore have a more mature system before the feed on raw meat. Just my opinion though.

Kay..

To be honest Kay, the raw feeding just happened to be on that site. The main point of interest to me was with regard to the changing opinion r.e. dried food. I have always felt that an all dry food diet was unhealthy and the more I read the more I convince myself...

Kay
10-01-2006, 10:09 PM
To be honest Kay, the raw feeding just happened to be on that site. The main point of interest to me was with regard to the changing opinion r.e. dried food. I have always felt that an all dry food diet was unhealthy and the more I read the more I convince myself...

I think it is like anything. One year they tell you this is good for you the next it isn't. I have always fed mine on a dry food diet and have never had any diet related health problems. In fact, touch wood, all my 8 are very healthy with lovely long glossy coats. But what is right for one may not be for another.

Kay.

bobbie3917
11-01-2006, 01:18 AM
hi Fran you remember when Sam was here a lot she also said that she feed raw but not to preg queens or new kittens

like u i feed my dogs and pups raw but i dont think i will be with the kittens if i get any.