PDA

View Full Version : ?Shampoo

samwise
04-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I recently ordered a stock of shampoo's for my dogs and on most of them was said 'can be used on cats'!
Do any of you shampoo your cats? I must admit, I have had cats since childhood (I am now 38:shock: ) and have never bathed (or needed to) any of my cats!
Do any of you regularly shampoo or bath you cats?
PS. I have short haired moggies not show cats.

Mags
04-01-2006, 04:35 PM
I have never bathed any cat that I have had:shock:

dinahsmum
04-01-2006, 04:54 PM
No never.
One cat who fell into ? motor oil? had to be cleaned at the vet, that's all.
I believe show cats have to be bathed though (poor things!)

yola
04-01-2006, 06:23 PM
I have bathed 2 of my persians; usually as a result of claggy waggys :shock: Do check the ingredients and make sure there's no tea tree oil in the shampoo - that can be very toxic to cats.

samwise
05-01-2006, 07:15 PM
I was just interested!
Most of the bottles said 'suitable for cats'. I realised show cats were probably bathed, but just wondered if anyone else did it on a regular basis!

Fran
05-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi Lianne, missed this thread sorry :oops: I don't bath my cats at all. This may all change when I get a show kitty though :-P

Donna
05-01-2006, 07:17 PM
Never cleaned my cats = only had them a year tho!! Think I would be too scared to try!!

Mags
05-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi Lianne, missed this thread sorry :oops: I don't bath my cats at all. This may all change when I get a show kitty though :-P
Awww will you put her through this Fran?:( :lol:
http://www.swapmeetdave.com/Humor/Cats/CatFrown.jpg

Fran
05-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Awwww that piccie is just too cute Mags :cool:

samwise
05-01-2006, 10:01 PM
I think I value my skin too much to try and shampoo them!!!
They dont really need it as they keep themselves clean!

Mags
05-01-2006, 10:03 PM
I think Cassie does a good job of cleaning herself......her white bits are always snowy white:)

smudgley
05-01-2006, 10:11 PM
I've never bathed any of my own cats, but have sometimes had to bath the rescues when they come in, only if they are very dirty, mainly kittens. Had to bath an adult once, he was an old cat that had been in a RTA & he was a bit dirty & smelly. Soon freshened him up!:cool:

Kay
10-01-2006, 11:57 AM

Hi Fran

It will definitely change when you get your show kitty. When I showed Leila I used to have to bath her in two different shampoos one to enhance the black and one to enhance (not colour) the red. I would do the red shampoo on the Tuesday before a show and the black on the Thursday and it would take about two hours to dry her. She never bothered at all, she just sat in the bath while I used the shower on her. None of show cats have ever objected to a bath. All my kittens are bathed at least twice before going to their new homes to get them used to it because of their long coats (Persians) they will almost certainly need bathing sometime in their lifetime and I recommend the new owners bath them every 6-8 weeks

yola
10-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Kay - do you recommend washing ALL persians at 6-8 week intervals or just show persians or kittens? I haven't bathed mine for a couple of years but they get brushed every couple of days and smell very clean.

Kay
10-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Kay - do you recommend washing ALL persians at 6-8 week intervals or just show persians or kittens? I haven't bathed mine for a couple of years but they get brushed every couple of days and smell very clean.

Hi Yola

I do recommend that my new owners whether pet or show bath their kitten every 6-8 weeks if poss throughout their life. Obviously it isn't as essentially with pet cats but it is a good idea. If they aren't used to it and suddenly need one due to an upset stomach etc it can be quite a trauma for all concerned:cry: :cry: :cry: . Putting talc through their coats and thoroughly brushing it out is a good idea, it dries up any natural grease there may be. If you want any advice about good shampoos for Persians or any tips just PM me.

Kay