PDA

View Full Version : I woke up to???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

samwise
04-01-2006, 02:39 PM
My Sammy is such a hunter!!!:(
I woke up to a load of feathers right beside my bed!!! I actually stepped on them and almost hit the ceiling (sp?)!!!:shock:
THEN...........I staggered (as I do in the morning:oops: ) into the hall (right outside my bedroom, I have a strange house layout, sorry) , and stepped right onto a mouses head and tail!!!!:shock:
I also found a dead mouse in my utility!!!!:cry:
He must have had a brilliant night!!!:roll:
Shame I didnt appreciate the results that much!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

dinahsmum
04-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Well it was mild last night - was it moonlit as well? He certainly had a good night!
It could (just) have been worse - you could have stepped out of bed onto the green yukky bit of mouse they never eat :smt078

Naomi
04-01-2006, 02:42 PM
ewwww yukkyyyy!!!! :D

CathyW
04-01-2006, 02:45 PM
our cats have some charming habits dont they?? we once found a mummiefied bird under the bed :oops:hadnt cleaned out under the bed obiously :oops:

yola
04-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Yukksville!!!

I have a major feather phobia hence I don't let my cats out anywhere where they might bring back birds or bird bits :shock:

I had to call Ken to come back from the office a coupla years ago when next door's cat left me a feathery present outside the back door. WHAT a wimp :-D

Fran
04-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Yukky!!! and they are always so proud of their pressies aren't they :roll: :-D

Mags
04-01-2006, 02:53 PM
At least Sammy had made sure everything was dead by the morning Lianne!:-D

samwise
04-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Sammy is an prolific(sp?) hunter!! I know it is natural cat behaviour.......but I got sick of both the live and dead offering he bought in! I am afraid I am a total wimp about mice in the house!:oops: So I closed the cat flap!!!:cool:
He then was witnessed (by me!!!!!!!) bringing a live baby rabbit through a tiny window in the bathroom!!
Silly question!!!!!!!!!!!!:oops: Is there a way of encouraging non-hunting or even non-bringing into house behaviour? I know it is natural cat behaviour and that he is bringing home ' food for the family'!!!
He wears a safety collar ( I would not use anything else) with a bell. Mind you, I get through a collar a fortnight with him!!!! It is better than the alternative:shock: :( I buy in bulk:D :D :D

dinahsmum
04-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I've seen advertised (but have no experience of) a collar which sends out an alarm noise when the cat springs.................apparently gives birds enough time to escape - don't know about mice/rabbits.
I'll see if I can google anything...........probably saw it on the RSPB bird site.

dinahsmum
04-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Liberator collar

Here it is - only works on birds apparently, so you could still have mice etc.

LOVE ME - LOVE MY CAT

If the lady love is devoted to a feline, then the best way to express your love this Valentine's Day might be to forget the flowers and chocolates and go instead for an ingenious new cat collar which makes sure the local bird population doesn't suffer when her cat goes on the prowl.
Called Liberator(r) the collar sends out an audio and visual alarm activated by the force of movement when a cat launches itself to attack a bird - and gives the bird enough time to escape. The frequency of the audio alarm is threatening to birds, but inoffensive to cats and humans.
Cats are natural predators and a survey by the Mammal Society reveals that up to 75 million birds are killed each year by the UK's 7.5 million domestic cat population. Many of those killed are songbirds, like thrushes, which have suffered severe drops in numbers over recent years.
Light in weight (17 grams), comfortable and long-lasting, Liberator(r) has been rigorously tested in field trials to make sure it is effective. It warns the intended prey but does not restrict the cat's natural movements or actions. Cats continue to hunt but they have no chance of catching and killing any bird life. Cats can now play a part in conservation.
Cats use a different method when hunting mice and rats, which does not activate the alarm, and this coupled with the fact that mammals cannot fly to freedom means Liberator(r) does not inhibit cats from attacking small mammals.
Many people are upset when cats bring dead or injured birds into the house, or when they kill birds outside, and Libertor(r) was developed to address that concern and also in response to research which found that collar bells have no effect in reducing the number of birds cats kill.
Of all the cat collars sold, 80 per cent are fitted with bells, reflecting owners' concerns about their cats attacking birds and small mammals. Although bells ring when cats move, they do not work when they are really needed - when cats attack birds. A cat remains very still prior to launching an attack, so the bell does not ring. Also, when the cat springs towards the bird the movement forces the bell back against the cat's throat, effectively silencing it.
At both crucial times the bell fails to act as an adequate warning to birds. In contrast, Liberator(r) only sounds when it is really needed, at the point of attack.
Liberator(r) consists of a battery , a small microchip printed circuit and an audio-visual alarm triggered by the cat launching itself at a bird. The long-life battery can be replaced by batteries readily available from all good electrical retailers.
Liberator(r) is fitted with a timer to cut short audio output on such occasions as when a cat is scratching around its collar, triggering the alarm. Liberator(r) is designed to complement the cat's superb suspension that cushions extraneous shocks. Off the cat, Liberator(r) will activate when subjected to direct shock.
Liberator(r) costs only £11.95 and carries a money-back guarantee. Orders can be placed by calling the Liberator(r) hotline on 01480 414012.
Liberator(r) is supported by cat lover Rolf Harris.

It's available through a lot of the on-line pet stores - maybe P@H etc as well?

samwise
04-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Liberator collar

Here it is - only works on birds apparently, so you could still have mice etc.

LOVE ME - LOVE MY CAT

If the lady love is devoted to a feline, then the best way to express your love this Valentine's Day might be to forget the flowers and chocolates and go instead for an ingenious new cat collar which makes sure the local bird population doesn't suffer when her cat goes on the prowl.
Called Liberator(r) the collar sends out an audio and visual alarm activated by the force of movement when a cat launches itself to attack a bird - and gives the bird enough time to escape. The frequency of the audio alarm is threatening to birds, but inoffensive to cats and humans.
Cats are natural predators and a survey by the Mammal Society reveals that up to 75 million birds are killed each year by the UK's 7.5 million domestic cat population. Many of those killed are songbirds, like thrushes, which have suffered severe drops in numbers over recent years.
Light in weight (17 grams), comfortable and long-lasting, Liberator(r) has been rigorously tested in field trials to make sure it is effective. It warns the intended prey but does not restrict the cat's natural movements or actions. Cats continue to hunt but they have no chance of catching and killing any bird life. Cats can now play a part in conservation.
Cats use a different method when hunting mice and rats, which does not activate the alarm, and this coupled with the fact that mammals cannot fly to freedom means Liberator(r) does not inhibit cats from attacking small mammals.
Many people are upset when cats bring dead or injured birds into the house, or when they kill birds outside, and Libertor(r) was developed to address that concern and also in response to research which found that collar bells have no effect in reducing the number of birds cats kill.
Of all the cat collars sold, 80 per cent are fitted with bells, reflecting owners' concerns about their cats attacking birds and small mammals. Although bells ring when cats move, they do not work when they are really needed - when cats attack birds. A cat remains very still prior to launching an attack, so the bell does not ring. Also, when the cat springs towards the bird the movement forces the bell back against the cat's throat, effectively silencing it.
At both crucial times the bell fails to act as an adequate warning to birds. In contrast, Liberator(r) only sounds when it is really needed, at the point of attack.
Liberator(r) consists of a battery , a small microchip printed circuit and an audio-visual alarm triggered by the cat launching itself at a bird. The long-life battery can be replaced by batteries readily available from all good electrical retailers.
Liberator(r) is fitted with a timer to cut short audio output on such occasions as when a cat is scratching around its collar, triggering the alarm. Liberator(r) is designed to complement the cat's superb suspension that cushions extraneous shocks. Off the cat, Liberator(r) will activate when subjected to direct shock.
Liberator(r) costs only £11.95 and carries a money-back guarantee. Orders can be placed by calling the Liberator(r) hotline on 01480 414012.
Liberator(r) is supported by cat lover Rolf Harris.

It's available through a lot of the on-line pet stores - maybe P@H etc as well?
Will give it a go! I hate idea of Sammy killing valuable birdlife.
Am just unsure, in that his collars last (at most) 3 weeks! That could work out expensive! He is the type of cat that comes in for a feed or a short cuddle!
Should I try and make him more of a house cat? He is a rescue kitten from a farm cat.

dinahsmum
04-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Sounds as if he is a really happy cat Lianne - doing what he likes best!

samwise
04-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Sounds as if he is a really happy cat Lianne - doing what he likes best!
He is a happy chappy!:D :D I love him to bits!!!
I must admit, it is only me that hates the mice running around my lounge!!:shock: :shock: :D :D

bobbie3917
04-01-2006, 08:02 PM
this is 1 plus reason to keep them in LOL

borderdawn
04-01-2006, 11:30 PM
dont ya just love 'em! I would of s**t myself if I stepped on a feather, I have a feather phobia!
Dawn.

yola
04-01-2006, 11:48 PM
dont ya just love 'em! I would of s**t myself if I stepped on a feather, I have a feather phobia!
Dawn.

Dwn - I SO know what you mean!!!! I have to hid behind hubby when we're near pigeons incase they even THINK about flying near me . . . :shock:

Donna
05-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Dwn - I SO know what you mean!!!! I have to hid behind hubby when we're near pigeons incase they even THINK about flying near me . . . :shock:

Dawn and Yola you make me laugh at a feather phobia!! Its so mad, but then again I am terrified of spiders and they I am told are harmless :shock:

Arnt phobias a strange thing?