PDA

View Full Version : Eating slowly?

Jeanette
03-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi all

Well Oliver's been put on a diet. Science Plan r/d I think its called..

He seems to be starving. I'm giving him 55 grams a day (it says for a 5 kg cat (the weight he should down on atleast!!!) that he should have between 50 and 75 grams). When he gets his food, he swallows it all and then throw it up. Not every time but once in a while..

He's fed 2 times a day. Should I try feeding him 3 times instead? 5.30 am (when Luna gets breakkie), 5 pm (when Luna gets dinner) and then before bedtime which is around 9-10 pm..

Today after he threw it all up (and he doesnt eat it afterwards) I took a new portion, but instead of giving him the bowl, I spread half the portion on the kitchen table instead, so he could eat (and chew) one kibble at a time, but he aint touching it.. yet...

Any ideas?? No foodball thingy, cos I dont have a carpet, but have a vacuuming labrador, so Oliver would never get anything to eat:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fran
03-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Hi J :D I was having this problem with Lucky a little while back. By all accounts according to my vet it is a very common problem. She suggested raising the feed bowl up on some very thick books and often this can help. I did take the advice and it certainly did help. I wouldn't say she stopped vomiting all together but the episodes of vomiting were certainly much reduced HTH x

dinahsmum
03-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Here's the link to the previous conversation J
Don't know if it might help.
Frans 'lift it up' suggestion is there
http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=2551
:cat21

borderdawn
03-01-2006, 08:10 PM
How about getting the tinned equivilent of that food, they do it in dry and wet varieties.
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=HILLSFELRD
This is an English site but you should be fine over there too.
Dawn.

Fran
03-01-2006, 08:12 PM
How about getting the tinned equivilent of that food, they do it in dry and wet varieties.
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=HILLSFELRD
This is an English site but you should be fine over there too.
Dawn.

Good thinking Dawn. I found Lucky less likely to vomit when she ate meat rather than biscuits...

Mags
03-01-2006, 08:18 PM
I find biscuits always tend to make Cassie sick....I just add about 6 to her meat now as she always seemed to swallow then whole:roll:

Jeanette
03-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Thank you all.. Hmm could try the canned version.. But what about his teeth??

Will take a look at the link, ta H and Fran:-)

Well thanks to everyone:-)

borderdawn
03-01-2006, 10:35 PM
But what about his teeth??
Toothpaste! Put it on the Cats paw, they HAVE to lick it off!
DAwn.

Mags
03-01-2006, 10:39 PM
DAwn.
I got a tube of toothpaste from the vet a few years ago for Cassie.....can you use 'our' toothpaste Dawn?:shock: :?

Donna
03-01-2006, 10:43 PM
DAwn.

Thats really clever (or I am really thick!!) !! Always wondered how anyone ever got to use cat toothpaste. I havent used it on mine - should I? They eat biscuits every day as well as meat.

Jeanette
03-01-2006, 10:48 PM
Hey... I have some toothpaste for dogs.. I oughta be able to use that:-)

Will see if I can afford the canned version.. I really shouldnt be using any money this month..

Have now raised his bowl with 10 cm (about 4 inches) so lets see if that helps:-)

borderdawn
03-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Not sure about our toothpaste Mags, I use the Logic gel, the dogs love it, the Cats dont! but put it on their leg or paw and they lick it off, it doesnt have to be brushed on, you can even put it in their food.

I dont think its essential Donna, especially if they get biccies, I use it for the oldies.

This is the one I use, last ages and its a LOT more expensive at the VEts.
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=LOGDG
Dawn.

Jeanette
10-01-2006, 09:12 AM
I'm bringing this up again.

Oliver has now got the bowl raised.. Still dry food. Cant afford to buy the wet right now, and I'm convinced this is pure greed.

He did it again today.. Ate all his food and withing a few minutes threw it all up.. You could see he hadnt chewed them at all.

I've been suggested to spread them on the floor.. I did that sunday evening.. It took him about 3-4 hours to eat it all (actually there were still a few left in the morning):-D :-D

But I cant do that in the morning, if he takes this long.. They wouldnt be there for long, as I have an excellent vaccumer called Luna:roll: :lol: :lol: it is under control, when I'm home, but I have to leave for work an hour after I've gotten up..

Did try and spread it over the freezer this morning (after he threw the first portion up) and that helped aswell..

I could perhaps clean up the balcony and spread the breakfast on the floor out there.. Luna cant get out there...

Me thinks the next step is an activity ball:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh let's not jump overboard.. still need to clean up the balcony:lol: I'm home today.. sick (surprise!!!) so could perhaps do a bit today..its freezing cold out there though:?

But wouldnt you agree (after reading this looong and confusing post) that it might be greed???

dinahsmum
10-01-2006, 09:48 AM
J, did you look at the 'Barfers' thread? http://www.catpages.co.uk/talkcats/showthread.php?t=2551

It sounds really similar to my Tizzie and to many others in that thread
Is Oliver eating too quickly because he wants to hoover it all up before Luna helps? Or has he got into the habit of eating quickly because Luna has helped herself at some point in the past?
Could he have each of his meals in, say, four small portions over the course of half an hour whilst you get up and ready for work?

As a matter of interest Tizzie has not been sick and has been generally more content since I got the heated pad and changed her to sleeping in the kitchen (with Dinah but not with Mini). She has a large portion of dried food, is able to eat at leisure and settles down and sleeps soundly, with a full belly. We've even found her still sound asleep some mornings :)
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif

Jeanette
10-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Hi H

Well Oliver's bowl is on the kitchen counter.. Always has been (well since I got Luna anyway:D ).

I think he's hungry.. He's only done this since he was put on the diet food. I think its hunger and greed.. I never remove his bowl (if he hasnt eaten or something like that) like I would with Luna, so cant be fear of me taking the food away.

I think I could try splitting it up in 4 smaller portions over half an hour.

Oh and he's fed twice a day.

Yes I did read that post. But he's never been deprived of food, if you can say it like that.

Kay
10-01-2006, 05:06 PM
I got a tube of toothpaste from the vet a few years ago for Cassie.....can you use 'our' toothpaste Dawn?:shock: :?

Hi Mags

Don't use our toothpaste on dogs or cats. It is too powerful and frothes up which their toothpaste doesn't.

Kay

Mags
10-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Hi Mags

Don't use our toothpaste on dogs or cats. It is too powerful and frothes up which their toothpaste doesn't.

Kay
Thanks for confirming it Kay...I did have my doubts!

Kay
10-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks for confirming it Kay...I did have my doubts!

No problem Mags. Had visions of the cats looking like they had rabies.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mags
10-01-2006, 07:56 PM
No problem Mags. Had visions of the cats looking like they had rabies.:lol: :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :-D :-D :-D