PDA

View Full Version : how many have you got?

smudgley
01-01-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before but I'll ask again - How many cats have you got?

We have 2.

Emily is 4 & Smudge is 2. Both tortoiseshell moggies.:)

Whoops - edited to change Ems age, she's not quite 5 yet. Still 4:oops:

Moli
01-01-2006, 11:42 PM
I have...
Leo..Black Exotic..almost 12.
Merlin..Blue Exotic...2yrs 3 months...
Oliver..Black oriential..1yr
Casper..Seal point siamese..6 months.......

Mags
01-01-2006, 11:46 PM
I have 1.....

Cassie... tortoishell moggie...8 years old...

Moli
01-01-2006, 11:49 PM
How many have you got at the moment Smudgley??

Luke
02-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Clementine, tortoiseshell Ragdoll x moggy.........3 years old on May the 8th

Elsa, mackrel tabby (god knows what colour she is was sold to us a seal lynx!), Brittish Shorthair cross Maine Coon.............5 months old

Donna
02-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Have two

Chloe: Semi longhair tortie/white moggie - 1 yr old.

Misty: Black (with the odd whispy white hairs) moggie - 1 yr old.

But if you lot can persuade me that another kittie will be ok with these two then I might get another!! Seen one I like!

Donna
02-01-2006, 12:16 AM
I have...
Leo..Black Exotic..almost 12.
Merlin..Blue Exotic...2yrs 3 months...
Oliver..Black oriential..1yr
Casper..Seal point siamese..6 months.......

How did your cats react to each other when a newbie arrived? Have two at one year old and tempted to get another. Do they fight much? Did any of the older cats hide away from the new one etc?

smudgley
02-01-2006, 12:22 AM
How many have you got at the moment Smudgley??

2 of my own.

rescues. - only 2 adults & 2 kittens at the mo.:roll:

smudgley
02-01-2006, 12:24 AM
How did your cats react to each other when a newbie arrived? Have two at one year old and tempted to get another. Do they fight much? Did any of the older cats hide away from the new one etc?

I think cats are very different from dogs when introducing a new one. It's much harder with cats I think & It's easier to introduce a kitten than an adult cat.
I'm kind of contemplating whether to have another kitten or maybe 2. But I don't know.
It's just when we go away, 4 cats is a lot to take with us:?

Donna
02-01-2006, 12:26 AM
I think cats are very different from dogs when introducing a new one. It's easier to introduce a kitten.
I'm kind of contemplating whether to have another kitten or maybe 2. But I don't know.
It's when we go away, 4 cats is a lot to take with us:?

Would a boy kitten dominate the two girls i have already once he is older? Dont want them pushed out but would like a boy this time!!

Fran
02-01-2006, 12:35 AM
I have only 5 moggies since losing Lucky :(

Matilda - tortoiseshell tabby - 5 and a half years old

Sylvester - Black & White tuxedo - 4 and half years old

Maud - Blue - 2 years 5 months old

Claude - grey tabby (think he is actually considered to be a mackeral tabby)- 9 months old

Clooney blue - 9 months old

Hopefully within the next few months I will be adding 1 possibly 2 Siamese kittens...

I agree kittens are easier to integrate with existing adults. I have also found that if you have existing Tom's in the house then female kittens are easier to introduce than male kittens.

Donna
02-01-2006, 12:36 AM
Hopefully within the next few months I will be adding 1 possibly 2 Siamese kittens...

I agree kittens are easier to integrate with existing adults. I have also found that if you have existing Tom's in the house then female kittens are easier to introduce than male kittens.

So how did yours react to the introductions of the newbies? What about older females getting a boy kitten?

Fran
02-01-2006, 12:41 AM
Never had problems introducing boy kittens to girls as the girls are the highest in the heirachy and the kittens accept this whatever their sex. Problems come with neuter boys who I have found can start spraying and start fights if you introduce more boys. I haven't had problems of them doing this when girls are introduced. A lot does depend on the individual personalities of the cats as well though..

Donna
02-01-2006, 12:45 AM
Never had problems introducing boy kittens to girls as the girls are the highest in the heirachy and the kittens accept this whatever their sex. Problems come with neuter boys who I have found can start spraying and start fights if you introduce more boys. I haven't had problems of them doing this when girls are introduced. A lot does depend on the individual personalities of the cats as well though..

So the kitten will see itself as bottom of the pile as far as heirarchy? My two girl moggies will accept a boy kitty? Dont want to put the girls out as they are both quiet and shy and dont want them to fear this boy that I introduce. If I get a boy kitty then that is it. No more kitties for me so hopefully no spraying!

Thanks for your advice fran

Fran
02-01-2006, 12:50 AM
If you have girls, I see no problems introducing a kitten of either sex. Both your girls are young so hopefully you will not encounter too many probs and the girls will soon show the kitten who is boss ;)

Donna
02-01-2006, 12:51 AM
If you have girls, I see no problems introducing a kitten of either sex. Both your girls are young so hopefully you will not encounter too many probs and the girls will soon show the kitten who is boss ;)

Well if i get one, i will let you all know!!

smudgley
02-01-2006, 12:52 AM

I agree totally.:)

smudgley
02-01-2006, 12:53 AM
If & when you do get another Donna - don't be surprised if it takes a while for them to all get used to each other, with cats it sometimes takes a bit of time.

Donna
02-01-2006, 12:55 AM
Yes Smudgely.

Didnt get Chloe and Misty together. There are six weeks between them. When i first got Misty then there was a lot of fighting and hissing between them. Kept them in separate parts of the house for weeks until a friend of mind MADE me just open the doors and let them interact. Was a bit scary. Some fighting (although was told they were playing) but then it settled down quite quickly.

Just dont want Misty and Chloe to feel pushed out or threatened.

Fran
02-01-2006, 12:55 AM
If & when you do get another Donna - don't be surprised if it takes a while for them to all get used to each other, with cats it sometimes takes a bit of time.

Very true..dogs seem to be much easier to integrate with each other than cats do :?

smudgley
02-01-2006, 12:58 AM
Yes dogs tend to have a more instant reaction, if they like each other that's it, if they don't - they don't. You know fairly quickly, but cats like to ponder over the idea of a new member of the family before deciding if they are happy. That's just cats all over though isn't it.:roll:

Snoof
02-01-2006, 01:02 AM
I have one gorgeous black moggie called Ninja. We're debating adding two kittens to the household, but we're not sure yet.

Donna
02-01-2006, 01:05 AM
I have one gorgeous black moggie called Ninja. We're debating adding two kittens to the household, but we're not sure yet.

Its such a hard decision isnt it? You dont want to spoil what you have, but then again, things could be so much better if you have another cat around.

My kitties are like your Ninja (maybe not so bad). If you go to touch Chloe she runs away. She does tend to come sit with me if i am alone, but the kids (my daughter mainly) didnt leave her alone as a kitten so she is SICK of people picking her up. I did tell my daughter to give her some space but she didnt listen to me.:cry:

Misty is more friendly. She comes up to you a lot for "kisses" etc. But if the door goes or the hoover goes on then TWO CATS CHARGE UP THE STAIRS AT 100MPH!!

Decisions, decisions!

smudgley
02-01-2006, 01:10 AM
It is very hard, we had 3 until October when we lost one in a RTA. We decided at the time that we wouldn't get another cat straight away, then we recently took in a lovely rescue cat that my husband really liked, but he turned out to be FIV postive so had to go to a home & be an only cat. I think we may have been tempted to keep him.

Elfin
02-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Well we have

Sappho who has just turned 7 months

and we are soon to have

Alfie who is 8 weeks old

Snoof
02-01-2006, 02:16 AM
Its such a hard decision isnt it? You dont want to spoil what you have, but then again, things could be so much better if you have another cat around.
It is. But I comfort myself with the knowledge that I'm really agonising over this and that a lot of effort is going into the decision :lol:

Emm
02-01-2006, 07:48 AM
I have 4 cats:

Lao Tzu - 8 years old
Confucious - 8 years old
Professor - 6 years old
Mencius - 5 years old

We lost Tippy Toes last year she would have been in her teenage years ( I still feel like I need to mention her - still can't get used to not having her around :( )

Kazz
02-01-2006, 10:47 AM
I have two

Oscar 23
Cleo 23

Brother and sister Cleo lives in my heart and my home Oscar lives in my heart and my dreams.

Happy new year everyone.

Donna
02-01-2006, 11:13 AM
I have two

Oscar 23
Cleo 23

Brother and sister Cleo lives in my heart and my home Oscar lives in my heart and my dreams.

Happy new year everyone.

That is lovely Kazz x

Elaine
02-01-2006, 11:48 AM
I have 3.
Winston 20 years old with crf
Eva 19 months old
Bernie around the same age as Eva we think.

Have had Winston and Eva since they were kittens, Bernie arrived about 8 or 9 weeks ago. He is still being integrated into the home life as Eva is being very very difficult.
We are getting there but at a very slow pace.

dinahsmum
02-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Tizzie - 17+
Mini - 15+

LMC
02-01-2006, 01:32 PM
I have four

Jenny - 12/13+
Snowy - 11.5
Molly - 5
Amber - 3/4+

Introducing new cats is always "interesting" ! - sometimes you have to accept that they probably won't do any more than tolerate each other (Jenny and Amber are still in a power struggle after 18 months, but will sit one on my lap, one on the arm of the sofa next to me even though they don't cuddle up together)

Elaine
02-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Oh how I dream and long for that day to come with Eva and Bernie;)

bobbie3917
03-01-2006, 01:40 AM
Scarlott 1 year old cream tabby Maine coon
Minx 14 week old blue tabby Maine coon

ann
04-01-2006, 04:26 PM
one moggie oscar 11mths
0ne ragdoll oliver 9mths
0ne ragdoll fudge 8 mths
they all get on great

suep
07-01-2006, 11:13 AM
5!!!
Disraeli - choc point siamese male aged 8
Merlin - blue tonkinese boy aged 2 and a half
Willow- blue oriental girl aged 2
Jaguarr- fawn oriental male aged 1 and a half
Raffles- caramel tabby oriental male aged 10months.
As if this isn't enough I'm awaiting the arrival of a cinnamon spotted oriental female at the end of Feb - so she's 6weeks old at the moment:D .

Kay
10-01-2006, 05:46 PM
I have 8 Persians.

Tilly 5 yrs 9 mths
Tate 4 yrs 6 mths
Angel 3 yrs 9 mths
Leila 2 yrs 8 mths
Phoebe 2 yrs 4 mths
Eddie 1 yr 10 mths
Kisses 1 yr 8 mths
Jilly 1 yr 3 mths.