PDA

View Full Version : Fanboys and Overdogs

dinahsmum
22-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Why have I only just heard of this book?????? Grrr.
By Susie Dent (Countdown & OED)

It's a book which chronicles 'words of the year' and other significant elements of speech through the years. I'd love it - or it would be a great book for a present. maybe I'll treat myself if I get a token.

So, as I remember from the radio article
word of the year - sudoku (bit boring)
catch phrase - only gay in the village (yawn)
but lots of fascinating bits. I want it just to find out about the fanboys and overdogs.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mags
22-12-2005, 03:06 PM
It sounds interesting DM....wouldn't mind that myself:-P

yola
22-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Fanboys = Fanboys are those people who turn up on forums, or in article comments (like on /.), sing the praises of their favourite program, sling insults at competing programs, usually without actually knowing exactly what they are talking about, or using totally unfounded or inaccurate arguments, because they have been brainwashed by themselves and other fanboys. They drive the rest of us mad, because unlike trolls, the fanboy actually believes what they say, and refuses to accept any arguments because their own stupidity and ignorance has convinced them that they must be right, and that no-one else can be right.

Fanboys (definition 2) = someone so consumed with love for computer games that his appearance is unkempt

Overdogs? = As far as I can gauge, simply the opposite of underdogs!!

dinahsmum
22-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Yes, it seems overdogs is just an alternative expression to top-dog.:roll:
What a disappointment
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_202.gif