PDA

View Full Version : Cheat's luxury chocolate dessert

dinahsmum
21-12-2005, 11:50 AM
We had this yesterday. It is so lovely, I can't really describe it - something like a cold, rich, luxurious, Aero-ish thing (but it's not bubbled). Make it and serve it to your guests - you won't be disappointed and they will be delighted (and stuffed!)

100 gm good dark chocolate, melted and allowed to cool for 10 minutes
.75 pint double ceam, whipped to soft peaks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 pkts ready made meringue, crushed finely (I just used the meringue nests)

Combine all the ingredients, place in a cling-film lined dish, bowl, tin, whatever.
Freeze

To serve
Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving. Remove cling film, place on serving plate.

I'm going to make mine in individual ramekins, stencil a star shape and dust the shape in icing sugar.
I shall serve just with a 'toffee-appled' pysallis

Bon appetit!

It's great to have one or two of these 'quickies' up your cullinary sleeve. I know a no-cook lemon cheesecake I'll post sometime.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_102.gif

Het
21-12-2005, 12:56 PM
ooh DM that sounds gorgeous, did it end up quite Moussey? I suppose you could put a drop of something alcoholic in it as well:)
When you say you used meringue nests...did you mean the little ones and how many did you use?

dinahsmum
21-12-2005, 01:18 PM
It's not moussey no, not at all, the very opposite, it's extremely dense! Don't know why I said Aero....was there a choc bar called Whispa? Might be more like that.
Tesco meringue nests - 8 in a box - 2 boxes. They squash down to nothing. I guess it's them and the air in the cream that lighten the final effect. Alcohol - yes, brandy maybe, if you like, but remember it's very rich already!

Luke
25-12-2006, 10:47 PM
A year later..i made it! Went down a storm, very tasty, quite rich though so only a little was needed too get the taste. Went down nicely with whipped cream..
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Lu-1/New%20lots/2006_01010033Small.jpg

Fran
25-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Well done Luke, that looked lovely! and glad it was well received too :cool:

dandysmom
25-12-2006, 11:41 PM
A year later..i made it! Went down a storm, very tasty, quite rich though so only a little was needed too get the taste. Went down nicely with whipped cream..
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/Lu-1/New%20lots/2006_01010033Small.jpg
Luke, that looks fabulous! Wish I had a slice......:D

Luke
26-12-2006, 12:49 AM
It was very nice, but rich..therefore i reccomend having a small portion as for some it could be too much.
Lovely pudding though..having a slice of whats left as i type!

Sweet
26-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Sounds yummy x

dinahsmum
27-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Glad it worked well Luke. It is very rich and yummy, isn't it? I make 'toffee apples' with those pysalis (???) berries and serve one with it. Nice to 'clear the palate' after all that choc-cream deliciousness!

dandysmom
27-12-2006, 09:33 PM
DM: have a question...what is double cream? Is it what we call whipping cream here, or like Devon cream that you use with scones? Not familiar with that term, and would like to try this.......

dinahsmum
28-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Mmm - another of those difficult transatlantic cullinary conundrums.
We have 3 or 4 grades of cream.
Single is very thin and is what you would use in coffee if you liked cream in your coffee. It pours easily and is not too rich. You could put it on porridge for a treat.
Whipping is thicker than single but still pretty liquid and pours easily. However, it is mostly used after whisking, either to be spooned onto a dessert or piped.
Double is a much thicker cream, but still just about pourable. It tastes much richer and is nice poured on, e.g., apple pie. You can whisk it, but must take care because it will go too far, or even turn into butter.
Clotted is thoroughly gorgeous and is produced after a degree of heating, to make the even thicker cream rise to the top to be separated out. It is solid and is what would go on a scone, with jam, for a real Devon/Cornish/Dorset/Somerset cream tea.
Does that help?
It could be that your whipping cream is our double? Does your whipping cream 'hold' or would it cave in some time after whisking? If it stays beaten then I would say it is the same as double
Sorry - I have bought provisions and cooked in the US but don't have a huge sweet or creamy tooth, so never looked in that part of the dairy aisle. :)