PDA

View Full Version : cat allergys

CathyW
20-12-2005, 08:21 PM
got my future son in law coming to visit this week,and hes so alergic to cats,hes sneezes face swells up,eyes water, ive said to my daught to get some clartyn antihistimes,do they work,hope so. ill vac all round the house,chairs ect, anything else anyone can suggest??

CathyW
20-12-2005, 08:22 PM
got my future son in law coming to visit this week,and hes so alergic to cats,hes sneezes face swells up,eyes water, ive said to my daught to get some clartyn antihistimes,do they work,hope so. ill vac all round the house,chairs ect, anything else anyone can suggest??ps i could make him sit in the car with a flask couldnt i???

dinahsmum
20-12-2005, 08:28 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You can get wipes (Tesco have them, or Boots or P@H & lots of others) I think they're called PetalWipes, and you go over the cats with them and they remove a lot of the 'dander' (spit/skin cells etc) which produce the allergic reaction. Might be worth a try - sounds as though he has a pretty bad allergy.
Other than that - lots of vacuuming for your OH (well you can't do it, can you?) and maybe Piriton or similar for your visitor.

Good luck - if you use the wipes let us know how you get on.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_103.gif

Mags
20-12-2005, 08:30 PM
BM, I have the same problem with my S-I-L....everytime he visits his eyes go red and sore and he continually sneezes. He takes antihistimins from the doc but they don't help at all:( The funny thing is they used to have a cat and he was fine with it, he also had no problems with our pevious cat.....so I don't know what it is about poor Cassie that affects him:roll: I've told him to put a dab of vaseline in each nostril, like they do with hay fever, to see if that will help. Other than that, when we sit down to our Christmas lunch I'll put him on the doorstep with a turkey sandwich:roll: :lol:

dinahsmum
20-12-2005, 08:32 PM
.....found this link http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=132&pf_id=5234
Can't find the Petalwipes link - maybe they've stopped making them. I have seen them at Tesco. I'll go google again
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_102.gif

yola
20-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Try and keep him in a room that has minimal soft furnishings. I have a friend with a VERY allergic husband and we sit in the basement that has wooden floors, wooden shutters and dining chairs with rush matting seats. Needless to say the room is cleaned top to bottom prior to any visit.

Although it doesn't remove the problem completely it goes a long way towards helping!!

CathyW
20-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Try and keep him in a room that has minimal soft furnishings. I have a friend with a VERY allergic husband and we sit in the basement that has wooden floors, wooden shutters and dining chairs with rush matting seats. Needless to say the room is cleaned top to bottom prior to any visit.

Although it doesn't remove the problem completely it goes a long way towards helping!!ill sit him in the bathroom then :lol: we wont be in here for long will be off to the pub, then on for some shopping:D

Donna
20-12-2005, 09:44 PM
I didnt realise until too late that my son, Sean, has an allergy towards cats. Although it is not so bad that I will get rid of the cats! He has piriton occassionally. Its the soft furnishings that affect him the most - have a couple of faux fur throws that the cats love so i have to wash them a lot. Also lots of hoovering and dusting.

Think the wipes are ok. But cant be used just once, as the dander etc will have all fallen off and gone on carpets, sofas, chairs, sides etc. They ok if you use them regularly.

CathyW
20-12-2005, 10:08 PM
well ill just have to shut the cats away,while hes here.as they are bound to want to climb on his lap :lol: u know what little devils cats can be :Dget OH to hoover loads,and tell him not to breath so deeply :D

Donna
20-12-2005, 10:12 PM
well ill just have to shut the cats away,while hes here.as they are bound to want to climb on his lap :lol: u know what little devils cats can be :Dget OH to hoover loads,and tell him not to breath so deeply :D

Why dont you hire a spaceman's outfit for the day????????:-D

CathyW
20-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Why dont you hire a spaceman's outfit for the day????????:-Dwhat a good idea,theres a fancy dress shop down the road :D

Kay
28-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Hi

My Asthma is triggered by cats and dogs, yes I know and I have 8 x cats and 3 x dogs. I find that I disensitise myself to my animals but other peoples still effect me, this is probably the trouble with your S-I-L. When I have a litter of new kittens it takes me about 3 weeks to get immune to them. If your S-I-L only visits occasionally I don't think he will build up enough immunity. Antihistamines do work sometimes and for some people but there is a spray you can get to spray on the animals that is supposed to last up to a week. I will try and find out more.

Kay.

Kay
28-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi

Found this link

Welcome to Petremedies.co.uk

Then click on Allergy Relief.

Kay.

Mags
28-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks for that Kay, I'll check that out too......

Fran
28-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks for that Kay, I'll check that out too......

and me too, we have a close friend who is allergic to our dogs :(

CathyW
28-12-2005, 11:05 PM
well the vist went well,i damp dusted all the soft furnishings, and had the windows open (wasnt too cold ) and he had taken some anti histimines and it all worked not one sniffle no sore eyes,:Dand hes got another 6 tablets so 6 more visits :D

Mags
28-12-2005, 11:12 PM
well the vist went well,i damp dusted all the soft furnishings, and had the windows open (wasnt too cold ) and he had taken some anti histimines and it all worked not one sniffle no sore eyes,:Dand hes got another 6 tablets so 6 more visits :D
Unfortunately my SIL sneezed and blew his nose throughout Christmas Day:roll:

samwise
29-12-2005, 12:10 AM
I am allergic to some cats, but am fine with my 2!
I find, if my allergy starts at someones house, that a face wash with a wet flannel and a handwash eases it off!

Mags
29-12-2005, 12:12 AM
I am allergic to some cats, but am fine with my 2!
I find, if my allergy starts at someones house, that a face wash with a wet flannel and a handwash eases it off!
I'll remember to tell SIL that Lianne, thanks....

samwise
29-12-2005, 12:13 AM
I'll remember to tell SIL that Lianne, thanks....
Either that or they could spend the whole day in the shower!:lol: :lol:

Emm
29-12-2005, 12:14 AM
I'm allergic to animals as well and I find Benadryl with decongestion tablets brilliant - although not suitable if you are asthmatic

Mags
29-12-2005, 12:15 AM
:lol: @ Lianne

Kay
29-12-2005, 03:46 AM
A way to combat the horrid eyes is to put cold copper coins on them......I know it sounds daft but it does work.

dinahsmum
29-12-2005, 10:17 AM
My son was a bit sniffy/tight chested whilst with us at christmas, even though he grew up with animals from day 1. I think the reaction just diminishes in many cases, when you're exposed day after day. As he hasn't lived with an animal for several years his reaction has re-emerged.
He's talking of getting a rescue puss, so I've warned him he'll probably wheeze for a while.

Kay
29-12-2005, 04:09 PM
My son was a bit sniffy/tight chested whilst with us at christmas, even though he grew up with animals from day 1. I think the reaction just diminishes in many cases, when you're exposed day after day. As he hasn't lived with an animal for several years his reaction has re-emerged.
He's taking of getting a rescue puss, so I've warned him he'll probably wheeze for a while.

Hi DM

Tell your son it usually takes me about 3 weeks of constant daily handling to get used to a new cat. Not long when you consider how long they are with us. It is also better, I find, if no antihistamines are taken in this time, if poss. They slow down the desensitizing process. Good luck to him.

suep
29-12-2005, 11:40 PM
You could try the homeopathic remedy made from cat hair.
What it does is accustom the immune system to the input and desensitises the sufferer.
No side effects (can even have a drink whilst taking it:D ).
If you're in regular contact with the animals it gets rid of the allergy altogether- but people who only come into contact with pets occaisionally need to take it for 48hrs before a visit and whilst visiting.
If you'd like further info contact me.
Sue