PDA

View Full Version : Dignity

dinahsmum
20-12-2005, 11:50 AM
As I walked to town to get some chocs to take to my lunch-time hostess, I was thinking about the sad stuff that's been on the forum over the last few days and tried to rationalise. I came up with this, for what it's worth.

The essence of cats is self-awareness anddignity. Leave aside those mad moments when they are chasing a fierce leaf, or play-fighting their feline friend, back legs kicking, or the embarrassing moments when they just have to wash their bits, moistly and noisily when you have visitors, cats are nothing when they lose their dignity.

Dogs are fools, surrogate babies and enjoy nothing more than being fussed - you say where, you say when, they say - more please. Cats say 'you may stroke me now; or you will stroke me now' but if they don't want it, they won't have it.

So, we should preserve our cats' dignity and exercise our final responsibility (our final and greatest privilege) unselfishly, when the sad time comes.

Hugs to anyone affected. My girls are getting on - I dread the day. But, I've had to intervene for 2 of the 3 cats I've lost and both times. afterwards, I wished I had done it 'a day too early'. I hope I'll remember when the sad day comes.

Fran
20-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Thank you DM....your thoughts are so true and very close to my heart today x

Kazz
20-12-2005, 12:14 PM
DM Your words stike a chord with me too for obvious reasons.

Take care all, and remember when the time comes to smile even thought your heart is breaking because they need you. Karen

Luke
20-12-2005, 12:22 PM
It is just so true DM, many a time we have been faced with this road to take, sadly not allways with oldies which sometimes makes it worst when one is so young and havent lived properly yet:cry:
Hopefully i don't have to face that option with my girls for a long time, but whenever their time comes their dignity shall be put first, i can't imagine CLementine being happy being a soppy oldy who cant go out hunting or for a wander!:) And my thoughts are with those whom are having to go down this road at the present:)

yola
20-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Wise and thoughtful words. Thanks DM for clarifying so eloquently what most of us are probably thinking.

We owe it to our furry companions to care for them in the right way, and that sometimes includes making the most difficult decisions.

I'm hoping that those amongst us who are dealing with this dilemma right now have the courage and strength to do what is right.

Kay
20-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Lovely words. Now I am in tears ...again.

Donna
20-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Very well said DM.

I just pray that when it comes to my turn I can do the right thing too. My kitties have already given me much love and affection in the short time I have had them, hopefully there will be many more moments.

But I know I have to do the right thing too. My thoughts are with those going through this terrible time.

Moli
20-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Vey wise and true words DM, I hope I too will be able to do the right thing when the time comes.............

Mags
20-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Very touching words DM.........

Emm
21-12-2005, 11:44 AM
very nice words

Naomi
21-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Great words DM

I hope very much that Moli will be with us for many years to come and if/when the time comes we will do the right thing for her.

LMC
21-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Being so new on here, I haven't wanted to intrude on people's grief - there can sometimes be nothing worse than the well-meant clumsiness of strangers. I've been so touched by some of the stories and hope you have all found comfort in the love of your families, friends and other pets and in the knowledge that you have given your cat such a happy life - however long or short.

Having only been a multi-cat household for the last 12 years or so, I've only lost two cats so far - both died very suddenly in different circumstances.

So now is the first time that I am faced with the possibility of having to make that final gesture of love - although I hope Jenny will last to the warmer weather when her asthma is always so much better:

I want her to have another living summer,
to lie in the sun and enjoy the douceur de vivre –
because the sun, like golden rum in a rummer,
is what makes an idle cat un tout petit peu ivre –

I want her to lie stretched out, contented,
revelling in the heat, her fur all dry and warm,
an Old Age Pensioner, retired, resented
by no one, and happinesses in a beelike swarm

to settle on her – postponed for another season
that last fated hateful journey to the vet
from which there is no return (and age the reason),
which must soon come – as I cannot forget.
(Gavin Ewart)

I don't believe that animals can predict the future in the same way we can - so it's some comfort to me that Jenny has no fear, even if I do.

dinahsmum
21-12-2005, 05:41 PM
That is another very nice poem. I think the fact there are so many just goes to show how much our pusses touch us and how their demise upsets so many people. So sad:(

I don't believe that animals can predict the future in the same way we can - so it's some comfort to me that Jenny has no fear, even if I do.

I think that is quite right LMC. All the cats have is pain and discomfort, not any thought of 'hoping to make it through next year' or I'll let my mum down if I go' , just pain and tiredness and having had enough of life. Again - it's our final responsibility and our final privilege.

Mags
21-12-2005, 06:36 PM
That is a lovely poem LMC and you are right in saying that it is a comfort that our pets do not feel the same fear we do.
I hope Jenny manages to get through the winter weather and can enjoy the warm spring sunshine again..
BTW I think you are fully 'initiated' and you are very welcome to join in any of our discussions any time!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kazz
21-12-2005, 07:11 PM
LMC don't stand on the sidelines - just jump in with both feet like we do.

And I do hope you get to spend another spring/summer/autumn/winter with Jenny....and you are right cats have no sense of "whats going to happen" only that they are warm, loved, safe, and fed....at that moment.

Karen