PDA

View Full Version : Help with The Bully cat..

Mini
20-12-2005, 01:01 AM
I few months back my son and his girlfriend adopted a beautiful rescue cat... Saffy, she settled really well and apart from bringing 'bird gifts' and leaving them under the bed all has been fine.
The couple both work and they leave a little window open so Saffy can come and go at will.
Not long ago Saffy came home with a nasty bite that required a trip to the vet,a neighbouring cat has started to bully her, this has got progressively worse and the cheeky creature even chases Saffy into the house through the little window.
The other day bully cat chased Saffy cornering her in the bedroom where the poor scared little cat pooed in fear, there was also blood up the wall from (we think) a bite to Saffys ear.
I have suggested shutting Saffy in the house when the couple are out, and maybe spraying bully cat with water but it always escapes before anyone can get near it...can anyone recommend any other way to protect Saffy from bully cat?
Thank you :)

Donna
20-12-2005, 01:10 AM
can anyone recommend any other way to protect Saffy from bully cat?
Thank you :)

I have a similar problem with a bully cat in my area. My cats are terrified of it. Have tried water too but it is too clever and too fast to ever get caught. ~See my previous thread in Behaviour - Nasty Neighbour - maybe there is something to help there.

As for me, I have installed a magnetic catflap that the bully cat doesnt seem to have breached and my kitties tend to stay in mostly as they scared to go out.

Mini
20-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Hi Donna :) thank you, I will read the post..a cat flap is out of the question i'm afraid because the house is rented... Saffy is quite a small cat, she was rescued from a house with 17 cats and judging from her size may not have been very well fed.This means she has less chance holding her own against the rather large bully cat.

Kay
20-12-2005, 01:53 AM
As Saffy is being bullied and not holding her own would your son and his girlfriend not consider keeping her as an indoor cat. All 8 of mine are indoor cats and are more than happy.

dinahsmum
20-12-2005, 09:59 AM
I have no alternative words of wisdom (many would say I have no words of wisdom of any sort!).
I think Saffy should stay in the house except when her human guardians are in the garden to protect her.
A water pistol (or washing up bottle) is the best/most humane deterrent for the bully.
Good luck
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif

Kazz
20-12-2005, 11:58 AM
A few years ago I would have loaned them Oscar for in his younger days he protected his sister from many a bully cat. But I would say same as the others make her life interesting as an indoor cat and only in the garden when her humans are about she will be happier and so will they. And a cat flap is often the wrong thing for a cat being bullied becase the other cat willthen come into their/your territory. And there must be nothing worse than being hounded in your own safety zone.

Karen

Moli
20-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Where we lived before, a big tom bullied both my Sam and Leo, they were at the vets a week apart with bites....
My simple solution, next time I saw it in my garden, I let one of the dogs out never seen a cat move so fast!!It never came back again though!!

Mini
20-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Thank you for your replies everyone, the reason Saffy is given the option to go out when left alone is because the house is so very tiny, I will suggest again that she is kept in when there is no one around to defend her :) .

Kay
20-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Best option for her safety.

bobbie3917
20-12-2005, 06:08 PM
as long as she is litter trained then keeping her in should be fine even in a small places, you might find that she sleeps the whole time that no 1 is there any way.
what you have to remember with cats is that if there not happy then they will move out and find somewhere that they are happy and SAFE, im not saying that she is unhappy there but she soon will be if that cat keeps coming in to her home

EmmaG
20-12-2005, 07:40 PM
When me and my other half first moved in together Lucy lived with us in our one bedroomed flat, she was perfectly happy. We use to let her out at the weekends and if we were at home during the day.

Although we now live in a much larger property I have started keeping my cats indoors when we are out to work, I have found it far too stressful letting Arthur out during the day when I am not there (he likes to play in the road :( ), so now they only go out if we are about, luckily Bronwyn doesn't care much for the great outdoors.

I am sure she will be very happy indoors :)

Donna
20-12-2005, 09:59 PM
I agree to keep kitty indoors - better to be happy in a small place than scared and attacked in a larger area.

My two have a cat flap and they CHOSE to stay in. I am out at work in the day and EVERY DAY i come home they come running downstairs from sleeping on my bed. They go in the garden if I am out there as the bully cat here is always about,. They feel safe if I am with them.

But given a choice which I have they have decided to stay in and be safe :)

Mini
25-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Thank you for your advice everyone :) I have passed it on and Saffy will be staying in when alone from now on :D

Jeanette
25-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Hi Mini

My Oliver is an indoor cat, always has been.. He's 9 now... And I live in a small appartment..

I cant let Oliver outside, but to be honest, I wouldnt even if I could... What if he was run down by a car or something:shock:

I couldnt sit at work, not knowing if he was safe or not...

I'm sure Saffy will be fine inside:D