PDA

View Full Version : Commitment

dinahsmum
18-12-2005, 03:03 PM
I was just thinking (for obvious reasons) of the commitment we give to our pets. In many cases we can expect them to be in our homes longer than our children .............. amazing thought, but true.

If I get kittens in the spring, and they live out their allotted 20+ years (which seems amazing, but isn't), I should almost think of putting their welfare in my will :shock:

Don't know if that has cheered or depressed me ........ something to think about though :?

Kazz
18-12-2005, 03:14 PM
But think of the love you get back in return.:-D

Moli
18-12-2005, 04:15 PM
I have thought about this a lot DM, and have come to the decision, I will not take on another puppy or kitten again, If anything happens to my dogs or cats, I would take on an older rescue...
I think of my young animals, I will be a good age when they reach 15!!!!

Mags
18-12-2005, 04:22 PM
I would love a pup but for the same reason don't think it fair......

Kay
18-12-2005, 07:37 PM
I know of someone that has left her cats to someone in her will with a sum of money to comfortably see their lives out. Should anything happen to her.

Kazz
18-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Well I am 42 now and if (please God) Cleo is with me for another year then I would be 43/44 before I considered another kitten and it would have to be a kitten with the dogs - can't see any poor cat taking on my two:roll: then I will be 67/68 by the time they reach 23/24 which I know they will, because they/he/she too like Oz and Cleo will know only kindness, love and security.As all cats should.

Karen

Kay
18-12-2005, 07:53 PM
[quote=Kazz]Well I am 42 now and if (please God) Cleo is with me for another year then I would be 43/44 before I considered another kitten and it would have to be a kitten with the dogs - can't see any poor cat taking on my two:roll: then I will be 67/68 by the time they reach 23/24 which I know they will, because they/he/she too like Oz and Cleo will know only kindness, love and security.As all cats should.

That's not old. I wouldn't worry about it. It must be lovely to have your cats for such a long time. I wish Toby had lived a bit longer, but at least I know he had more love in his 10 months then a lot of poor animals have in a long lifetime.

Kazz
18-12-2005, 07:54 PM
No you are right. 60's isn't old.:-D

dinahsmum
18-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Well I am 42 now and if (please God) Cleo is with me for another year then I would be 43/44 before I considered another kitten and it would have to be a kitten with the dogs - can't see any poor cat taking on my two:roll: then I will be 67/68 by the time they reach 23/24 which I know they will, because they/he/she too like Oz and Cleo will know only kindness, love and security.As all cats should.

Karen

I'm worrying about looking at approaching 80 :shock:

I'm so pleased I persuaded the OH to get the puppy after we lost our old rescue lurcher last summer. She half killed us!!!!!!!!:shock: - in the nicest possible way. You forget just how much hard work/disruption to your comfortable life it is! :) I hope to get kittens next year and that's it. Any other animal that comes into our house (and I hope there may be some) will be a mature rescue.
Kazz, I agree with you - couldn't expect anything but a kitten to cope with a sbt! :) It would be tough on a mature rescue.

Kazz
18-12-2005, 11:11 PM
Yeah and I've got two of them SBT's I mean:roll:

Kay
18-12-2005, 11:18 PM
I love SBT's they are so loving. I've got a Bull Mastiff, a Border Collie and a Jack Russell Terrier as well as the 8 Persians.

bobbie3917
19-12-2005, 03:20 AM
thought i would just point out that i had Sky at 3 year old, i know that is not very old in cat years but she was no kitten and with in 2 weeks she was sleeping with my 3 Sbt's. it was Scarlott she didnt like much, it might depend on the breed of cat but it can happen

Kay
19-12-2005, 10:31 AM
thought i would just point out that i had Sky at 3 year old, i know that is not very old in cat years but she was no kitten and with in 2 weeks she was sleeping with my 3 Sbt's. it was Scarlott she didnt like much, it might depend on the breed of cat but it can happen

I have to agree with that. I bought Kisses as a young adult and the dogs excepted her willing and she them, despite never having come across one. The cats are a different matter and even, now 6 months on, they still have a go at her. But if I bring kittens into the house my cats just except them. They must feel that Kisses is a threat being an adult. That's a laugh, she's the dafest, softest lump of them all!!!