PDA

View Full Version : I need ideas for Sunday lunch

EmmaG
16-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Hi everybody

I am cooking Sunday dinner (at lunchtime) for my Gran and great Auntie. I am going to do some sort of roast dinner but I am not sure what to cook, I might get some beef or a turkey, has anybody else got any ideas? I want to cook veg and roast potatoes and make it a Xmasy sort of dinner for them.

Dessert is already sorted..... Mango and passion fruit trifle :) all made from scratch.

dinahsmum
16-12-2005, 01:47 PM
They might like a bit of brisket?
So easy - would mean you didn't have to dash about.
Just prepare all your veg - carrot, onion, celery, swede, leek, onion - gently cook the onion, brown the brisket briefly, put all the veg in the pot, add stock or water, touch of herbs, drop of wine if you like, cook in a low oven for at least two and a half hours. Add peeled potatoes for the last hour if you like, et voila! - a meal in a pot. Thicken the gravy at the end if you like, pop over a atblespoon of chopped parsley. Take the meat out about 10 mins before you want to serve, just to make it easier to cut, slice and serve with the veg.
Yum!

Might not be festive enough though?

Kazz
16-12-2005, 01:48 PM
As everyone will be fed up of turkey by next week:roll: why not do a nice roast lamb or roast pork dinner.:-D Beef is also and excellent idea.

EmmaG
16-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Now that does sound like a good idea, I didn't want to do a casserole but a bit of brisket does sound good. I am off to Sainsburys later and I will see what they have got.

EmmaG
16-12-2005, 01:50 PM
hmmmm lamb could be a good idea as well :)

dinahsmum
16-12-2005, 01:53 PM
If they live alone (don't know if they do) the brisket might be a treat - not the sort of thing you cook for one!
Lamb is nice too. That lovely 'guard of honour' presentation, with the two racks of chops. You could make a nice stuffing for the middle and make it go further?

EmmaG
16-12-2005, 01:58 PM
yes they both live alone, my great auntie is quite well off but my gran isn't so I think the Brisket would be a great idea, there is a very good food place (deli) that does amazing organic meat I might pop into there on my way home and get a piece, and I have been given a litre of merlot wine so I could use some of that in the cooking to make a nice gravy!!

Also most people like beef don't they? :)

Kazz
16-12-2005, 03:23 PM
The brisket sounds like a brilliant idea. Whatever you give them to eat I vet they enjoy the company with the meal as much if not more :-D

EmmaG
16-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Well I popped to Sainsburys after work, had a look at the brisket and got a bit concerned that they didn't look big enough for four people. Do they shrink when cooking??? they only cost about £4. So I optened for a piece of their taste the difference silverside, which will be more than enough for the four of us (1.6k) it was the smallest piece they had, I plan to cook it with some red wine and smoked garlic. :)

Just my luck as well they didn't have any passionfruit :roll: but I managed to get some from the deli I pass on the way home.

Well wish me luck for Sunday I am sure everything will be fine, christ knows how many roast dinners I have cooked in the past 12 years me and my boyfriend have been together (he likes his roast dinners :-D )

Fran
16-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Sounds lovely Emma, I am sure it will go well. Let us know how you get on :D

Mags
16-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Sounds good Emma, I'm sure they will enjoy that....and really appreciate what you are doing for them...

Kazz
16-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Well if you'd have brought a bigger piece we could have all come round for dinner too :-D

EmmaG
16-12-2005, 10:46 PM
lol @ Kazz :)