PDA

View Full Version : How many cats can you own?

smudgley
13-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Does anyone know if there are any regulations about how many cats someone can own (indoor cats) in a property?
I ask this as a genuine question on behalf of someone who is worried about the council / environmental health saying she has too many.

I know of people who have several cats - but wondered is there any "legal" or local guidelines for this? I don't think there is, as long as they are well cared for & not causing concern ie with smell etc.

Any thoughts?

Fran
13-12-2005, 08:58 PM
I didn't think there were any regulations with regard to this Smudgley???

smudgley
13-12-2005, 09:00 PM
No I don't Fran - I've never seen / heard anything if there is:?

Kazz
13-12-2005, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't think there are any "set" regulations but if someone complains then anything could be "used"

Karen

Naomi
13-12-2005, 09:02 PM
Don;t think so Smudgley, a lady I know owns about 9-10 cats and she lives in a council property. It might be different in your area but there are no restrictions in this area of South Wales

smudgley
13-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Good point - well this lady only has 3 - but wants to adopt 2 from me. I really don't see a problem, but someone has told her the EH with be after her if she has 5 indoor cats in her small property. :?

smudgley
13-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Don;t think so Smudgley, a lady I know owns about 9-10 cats and she lives in a council property. It might be different in your area but there are no restrictions in this area of South Wales

I know one lady who has 12 all indoors :shock: - but they do have an outdoor run joining the house.

Kazz
13-12-2005, 09:05 PM
I would contact the council and ask, but I imagine as long as none of the neighbours complain then no one would be bothered,

Fran
13-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Why don't you give the Environmental Health a ring Smudgley just to put her mind at rest...I'm sure she has nothing to worry about. 5 cats is about the national average isn't it :-P :-D

Kay
13-12-2005, 09:06 PM
I am not aware of any regulations with regards to how many cats or for that matter any animals. If it is a council property however it is usually restrricted to 1x dog and 1 x cat but this can vary from council to council. If the house is private though it is obviously a different matter. Health and Enviroment will only get involved if there is a complaint of some kind as you say possibly about smell etc. Or if the animals are reported to be not cared for properly. I am a breeder and have 8 x cats, 3 x dogs, 2 x rabbits and a hamster and have never had any problems. Other breeders I know have over 30 cats. Don't know what kind of numbers your friend is talking about but if she has any worries tell her to ring the local Health and Enviroment office, she can do this anonomously.

Naomi
13-12-2005, 09:07 PM
I would suggest she contacts the local EH or Council.

Kay
13-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Councils do have restrictions all though they generally don't bother but you must be aware that if you have more animals than they allow they can make you reduce your numbers as you are breaking the tenancy agreement.

Emm
14-12-2005, 01:06 AM
in my local council area if you have a council house you are only allowed one cat and one dog - my house is an ex-council and in the deeds to the property it says I can only have one animal - but it also said that nobody had been prosecuted for breaking this rule before

Kay
14-12-2005, 05:49 PM
in my local council area if you have a council house you are only allowed one cat and one dog - my house is an ex-council and in the deeds to the property it says I can only have one animal - but it also said that nobody had been prosecuted for breaking this rule before

It is the same in the two different areas I have lived in too. I have known someone be told that they had to reduce their numbers else they faced eviction but there were other issues as well. I think if you don't cause any trouble for your neighbours there shouldn't be an issue.

MBll
15-12-2005, 03:48 AM
I think the council is now saying that they will allow 2 animals per house no more ...any more then that & they will be removed. I know that when I spoke to a cat rescue in perth she was saying this & also the council are bringing an out side company to get rid of the feral colonys. I think theres going to be more councils following this path now.

MBll
15-12-2005, 08:40 PM
If its council property then check your contract & it will state how many animals the council will allow tenants to have.

Kay
16-12-2005, 05:23 PM
If its council property then check your contract & it will state how many animals the council will allow tenants to have.

It does state how many animals you are allowed in a council house but many tenants go over this and don't have a problem. You just have to be aware that the council can demand you reduce your numbers or face eviction. This is unlikely if there are no complaints. All these comments refer to council properties not private.