PDA

View Full Version : Special cat collars

Naomi
10-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Well thought I'd just let you know that the special cat collars that are meant to come apart to prevent strangulation......

WORK!!!!!

Moli went out ealier wearing said collar but when she came home she didn't have it on :? Boy am I glad I invested the £3 on that collar now, have to go to town on Monday and buy her a new one :roll:

dinahsmum
10-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Might be worth getting a half-dozen Nae! :)

They do work, and if your little one is a climber she might soon need more than one replacement!

Mags
10-12-2005, 04:22 PM
I have always used those collars for my cats and have bought several.....the thing is you don't mind a bit when you realise they must have got caught on something.....

Naomi
10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
I'll def invest in a few of them, the woman in the pet shop'll think I'm mad :D

EmmaG
10-12-2005, 05:27 PM
I have a stock of these collars at home and also their staywell cat flap mice which Bronwyn loves to lose!!

Moli
10-12-2005, 07:08 PM
I have a stock of these collars at home and also their staywell cat flap mice which Bronwyn loves to lose!!What are cat flap mice Emma???:?

Kim
10-12-2005, 07:14 PM
I've lost count of the number of collars that Misty has lost. I agree with what you say though, it really is better to lose £3 worth of collar than your beloved cat.

EmmaG
10-12-2005, 07:22 PM
What are cat flap mice Emma???:?

Moli they are "keys" for the staywell cat flaps and they are in a shape of a mouse

See this picture although it isn't very clear

http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/90/ca/ba_2.JPG

Moli
10-12-2005, 07:24 PM
My cas have never had a cat flap, and do not wear collars, so I haven't a clue about either...
So your cats wear them on their collars and they open the cat flap??

EmmaG
10-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Yes that is right Moli we have the magnetic cat keys which open the cat flaps, I think are quite good, we have only had about 3 "other" cats come into our home without the keys and I think they followed our cats in.

borderdawn
10-12-2005, 08:32 PM
My friend makes Cat collars, uses velcro, so they undo under pressure, I can reccommend them.
Dawn.

http://www.penelope-malby.co.uk/kittycollars/kittycollars.htm

Kazz
10-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Mine haven't worn collars for about 12/13 years maybe longer:roll: I stopped when Oscar started to loose the hair around his neck:( they are microchipped and everyone but everyone around here knows them :shock:

Fran
10-12-2005, 10:29 PM
Mine haven't worn collars for about 12/13 years maybe longer:roll: I stopped when Oscar started to loose the hair around his neck:( they are microchipped and everyone but everyone around here knows them :shock:

Same here Kazz, Lucky has a necklace of white hairs around her neck from early years of wearing collars :roll: None of mine wear collars now but like you say are microchipped and everyone knows that they are mine :shock:

Naomi
10-12-2005, 11:09 PM
I just feel more relaxed that when Moli is out there she's wearing a collar so people know she's owned by someone

Kazz
10-12-2005, 11:17 PM
No I know what you mean, peace of mind, I used to put collars on my two
here's Cleo complete with collarhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/kazz76/cleoclimbing.jpg

But now they hardly pass the boundary of the gates:(

samwise
10-12-2005, 11:44 PM
I use collars on my 2, the safety ones. I tend to buy 4 at a time as Sammy goes through 1 a fortnight (on average)! I just think that if they are hit by a car or anything, I am more likely to get a phonecall and would much rather know!

Naomi
11-12-2005, 11:18 AM
:lol: Kazz I just love that piccy

Kazz
11-12-2005, 11:21 AM
:lol: Kazz I just love that piccy

Ta my explorer:D off to conquer every washing basket in captivity - she has never ever realised even now you can walk round them :roll:

Emm
11-12-2005, 11:21 AM
I love that picture as well - so cute :D

Naomi
11-12-2005, 02:09 PM
:lol: Moli seems to think that she's gotta jump in one side and out the other. Moli's got to climb over everything, she can't go round :roll:

CathyW
11-12-2005, 02:41 PM
i remember putting collars on the boys when they where kittens,the collars where miles to big,had to cut loads off :D bu they stay indoors now no need for a collar :D

Donna
11-12-2005, 02:53 PM
My kitties have collars. I buy the flea collars. Are these a good idea? Mine have never had a flea so they must work. They also have ID tags and ID barrells with their address in and a magnetic mouse key each. Cats must now have strong neck muscles with all that they have hanging from their necks!!!

Do like the collars that were mentioned in an earlier post, but they dont protect from fleas. Do most of you use frontline drops or something??

Mags
11-12-2005, 04:33 PM
I used to find that flea collars irritated my cat's neck so I always use the safety collars now......and use Frontline....

Emm
11-12-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm not a fan of the flea collars - they burned Lao really badly when he was younger - I now use frontline for the cats to protect against fleas - I also only let them wear collars that have a safety release buckle - my cats have had a few nasty accidents with the elasticated collars.

Donna
11-12-2005, 06:52 PM
my cats have had a few nasty accidents with the elasticated collars.

The flea collars I use have elasticated bits on them. I thought this was safe?????????? Oh dear!!! I would prefer them not to wear collars but they have a multi purpose = flea, cat flap key, id.

I will maybe use frontline and they can be microchipped, but that still doesnt help me with the cat flap!

Mags
11-12-2005, 07:15 PM
My first cat had a collar with an elasticated bit on it.......he came home once with it still round his neck but with one front leg through it as well. It was so tight under his leg that I had to cut the collar off and have never bought that type since. Obviously he had caught himself on a branch or something and had tried to use his leg to get himself free......it could have ended up nastier:(

Emm
11-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Donna if you go to your local petshop you will be able to buy cat collars that have the safety release buckle on them

Mags
11-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Sainsburys also sell a cat collar with a safety release buckle....

Donna
12-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Will look into these other collars. Will I need to use Fronline now? Or is it just summer? They dont tend to go out much at all.

Emm
12-12-2005, 08:33 AM
I just use frontline in the summer - I don't seem to have a problem at this time of year

Naomi
12-12-2005, 01:17 PM
I use the Frontline spray from the vets.

I found Moli's collar this morning, it was under a neighbours gate so I've got a few spare just in case :D

Kay
12-12-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't use collars because they ruin the fur round the neck on the Persians but these quick release ones sound brilliant. Like Mags I too had a cat come back with her leg stuck through. I just thought it could have so easily caught on a branch and hung her. Really scary thought. Frontline is far better than flea collars as ther have been less recorded effects. I find the drops the easiest as some cats don't like the noise of the spray. A good thing to have in is Capstar is case you see any fleas on your cats. It can be used safely in conjunction with Frontline etc. It is a tablet and the fleas starting dying within 15 mins and are completely gone within 24 hours. You can get it from your vets but it is cheaper from Wormers.co.uk and postage is free. These can be used for dogs as well. There are 2 sizes. One for cats and small dogs from 1-11kg and the other for dogs over 11kg. They can even be given to kittens and puppies over 4 weeks old as long as they weigh over 1kg and pregnant and feeding mums.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)