PDA

View Full Version : A question for the pedigree cat owners out there

Luke
07-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Do you let your pedigree cats out?
Now i personally had never seen the difference if a moggy, a cross or a pedigree cat gets to go out and about. But before we got Elsa when we were after a Siamese or Persian, breeders all wanted us to sign something saying we would keep them inside.
I find this really odd, cause when we had our persian and our si they went out, my gran's got her 4 siamese and 1 persian they all go out and 3 of her cats are now in their twenties!
So do the pedigree cat owners on board let your cats out?

Moli
07-12-2005, 11:15 AM
My cats go out, but only if I am home, they do not get out at night...

dinahsmum
07-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Mini has always been allowed out - but not at night; none of my cats have ever been encouraged to go out at night and none have wanted to. Siamese tend to define their own territory and not cross the boubdaries. I remember in our old house Min would follow me towards the bus stop then stop and yowl - she would go no further, which was good as it kept her from the road.

I suppose there is the issue of potential theft, but people will know if they live in 'that sort' of area.

Traffic dangers are the same whether your cat has a seven generation pedigree or is the lowest moggie of the low.

I don't know why breeders specify 'house cats only'.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_2_59.gif

Fran
07-12-2005, 11:29 AM
I have never had a pedigree cat before. All my moggies are allowed out during the day and are in at night with the exception of Sylvester and Matilda who sometimes stay out at night. When I get my Siamese, I will probably encourage it to be a house cat but I may consider letting it out during the day if I am around. Non of the breeders I have spoken to place their kittens on a contract which says they have to be house cats :? I have heard that Siamese are very territorial and will not wander far. The receptionist at our vets has 2 Siamese who both go outside duriung the day...

yola
07-12-2005, 11:35 AM
I have 3 persians that ony go out into our back garden when we are out there or when we can watch them. The reasons are thus:
1. We live on a busy road and the cats, although beautiful, are not the sharpest tools in the box ;)
2. We live in a town centre and probably have more than our fair share of 'undesirable' characters who will steal a cat for drug money.
3. Persians have long coats and our back garden is north facing, hence lots of mud outside of high summer (soon to be remedied by full paving)!!
4. There is an old man 2 doors away from me who hates cats. I caught him throwing stones at my Ferdy before he became 'my' Ferdy.

People near us have cats and DO let them out and I know of several that have either disappeared or have been killed by cars :cry: and as the cats don't seem too bothered by the arrangement it works for us!

Het
07-12-2005, 12:33 PM
all of mine are allowed out, although I do get Jazz, Max and Giz in at bedtime, they have their own room upstairs, but thats just because Jazz and Giz pick on Cleo - the other sealpoint Siamese. I think they would probably choose to be inside at night anyway...especially in the winter. The girls don't go too far outside but Max has a large territory, I once was walking the dogs and met him about 2 miles from home. Luckily we have no busy roads and they wouldn't let anyone near enough to them to pinch them. The first two years I had Cleo we lived in town...and she was only allowed out when I was at home and could keep an eye on her

Lorraine
07-12-2005, 03:53 PM
my lot go out ,dont think I would be able to keep max the siamese boy in he loves to wander but not to far he goes to one of the fams near by and terrorises the cats there lol or through my neighbours cat flap and eats her cats food ( you,d think I did not feed him )

CathyW
07-12-2005, 04:14 PM
all mine are indoor cats,only cause we are on the first floor of a flat,and it would take 3 doors for them to get outside,id be there all day opening n closing doors after them :D

Fran
07-12-2005, 04:15 PM
:lol: @ BM!!

CathyW
07-12-2005, 04:18 PM
:lol: @ BM!!well id be worn out :D

borderdawn
07-12-2005, 05:21 PM
My Persian only goes in the garden, her choice! The old lady only goes in the garden, her choice! Scooter, walks along the prikka fence, like walking on a bed of nails to get over the fence! He only goes into the garden next door though. Darcy got killed and we do not live near a main road, which is why I opted for a pedigree Cat, one who's temperament is much more "homely" and laid back, it is my intention to keep Wiggy in.
Dawn.

Donna
07-12-2005, 06:49 PM
all mine are indoor cats,only cause we are on the first floor of a flat,and it would take 3 doors for them to get outside,id be there all day opening n closing doors after them :D

You could get a little slide or shoot for them from your window down to the ground!!!:-D :-D :-D

Mags
07-12-2005, 06:51 PM
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

bobbie3917
07-12-2005, 08:39 PM
mine are in door only cats and there are 2 reasons well 3

first off i have lost so many cats early due to them being killed by either a dog or a car.

second. as i plan on breeding from Scarlott and my new kitten when i get her, if they could come and go as they pleased they could pick up anything that a good breeder wouldn't want in there home (bugs and things like Feline leukaemia)

thirdly she has gone out twice already and she don't come back Maine coons would have a large tertiary(sp?) if in the wild so i think if she had the choice to be out 24/7 she would be (never to be seen by us again)

when i was looking for a Ragdoll ever breeder i got in touch with said they have to be indoors only as they are so soft and daft they would be picked on 24/7 by the other cats in the area

suep
08-12-2005, 12:06 AM
My previous cats (moggies and pedigrees) all had free run of the outside.
My 5 current hooligans are confined to the house and the cat run we had built in the back garden.
The road outside is too busy and none of them are used to traffic.
It would be nice to be able to let them roam but we've probably reached the best compromise possible in the circumstances.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a239/wellbeing2020/2004_1107garden0007.jpg

Kim
08-12-2005, 12:31 AM
All mine, including Misty, the Birman have access to outside via the cat flap. Ironically it is Misty who wanders further than the others, he could definitely not be an indoor only cat, he would go crazy and drive us all mad!!! Sasha hardly ever goes out, she loves to watch the garden from 'her chair' in the conservatory. We live at the end of a cul-de-sac in a 'nice' area, and so far have never had any problems.

Kay
11-12-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi

I thought I would post a reply on this thread as a breeder of Persians. I always ask my new owners to sign a contract that states, among other things, that the cat will not be allowed out unsupervised unless in a purpose built cat run. Pedigree cats are more highly bred than moggies, obviously, and therefore quite a lot of their natural instincts are not as highly defined. This can lead them into all kinds of difficulties with regards to traffic and how other cats react, eg fighting. Also the are easily recognised as a purebred cat and as such are at risk of being stolen. I would have thought that anyone paying the price of a pedigree kitten, on average £300 for a pet, would not want to put them at thiese sort of risks. I know most breeders ask for something to be signed along these lines, it is not for their benefit but for that of the kitten they have lovingly reared. Hope this helps.

Mags
11-12-2005, 10:36 PM
If I owned a pedigree I definately wouldn't let it outside...as you said Kay, the risks of it being stolen are very high. I suppose it is a bit different if you live way out in the country and away from traffic though....

CathyW
11-12-2005, 10:56 PM
You could get a little slide or shoot for them from your window down to the ground!!!:-D :-D :-Dhow about a little kitty sized lift likethe window cleaners use,:lol:

Donna
12-12-2005, 12:34 AM
how about a little kitty sized lift likethe window cleaners use,:lol:

Or a bucket on a rope!!:lol:

Donna
12-12-2005, 12:36 AM
Or a bucket on a rope!!:lol:

Or where can you buy little kittle parachutes?? They would look so cute leaping off the window sill to the ground below, but not sure how they would get up.... maybe a bunjee jump!!! :-D

bobbie3917
12-12-2005, 03:13 AM
back to letting/not letting them out
to me its the same as owning a dog you wouldnt let them out on ther eown all day so why a cat?

Naomi
12-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Even tho my Mol's a moggy I don't like leaving her out when I'm not there. When I go out Mols comes in but even when I'm home she might be out for a few hours but then again she might go out the back door and within seconds be on the windowsill in the kitchen crying to come in. If I had a pedigree cat I wouldn't let it out of my sight, I'd be too scared of someone pinching it.