PDA

View Full Version : feeding seperately

Dangermouse
05-12-2005, 11:10 PM
ok, here's my problem... MEMPHIS IS FAT! :oops:

She was such a lovely slim cat up until Savannah arrived... Savannah was only about 8 weeks, and ofcourse needed kitten food, and Memphis was 1 year old and just spayed. I have always free-fed her before, and didn't think I would have to change anything, but she has been munching a bit too much on the kitten food, and has gained a lot of weight. She is too fat, especially since she is an indoor cat (due to dangerous road). Even though they have their mad hour at night, it is obviously not the same as being outside for hours a day. So from tonight I am trying something new.
2 cat carriers have been put out, and in each there is a bowl of food, one with Savannahs kitten food and the other with Memphis' new obesety food ( :oops: ) I have shut the cats in there and will leave them for about 20 minutes... is it cruel? I can't think of any other way of feeding them seperately, and this way I can make sure she gets the right amount and right kind of food. Any thoughtsa on this is welcome, as I am experimenting, and might not have thought of something obvious!

thanks, Anne

Emm
06-12-2005, 11:07 AM
oooh good luck - this always worries me about having 4 cats if any of them need to be fed seperatly it would be a nightmare I haven't a clue what I would do - I have food down all the time for them and they just come and go as they please eat what they need.

I would try and increase your cats excersise by using one of those kitty wands my cats love them and it gets them moving - also you get treat balls for cats try putting some of your cats daily allowance into it - that way your cat is having to do some work - also either make or invest in a good cat climber (probably making one is better) thats just things I would try :)

Dangermouse
06-12-2005, 03:01 PM
thanks for your reply Emm. She is quite active actually, as Savannah and her play regularly. I can't leave toys or treats out for them because the dogs will nick it.... well Indy will. They have 2 scratch pole thingies, that they can climb on, and also a small cat run, with branches and climbing thingies. They have to jump and climb a bit to get in and out of it, so she is not completely lazy.. They are not very happy about the new eating arrangement, but I will give it a few days. Obviously I have to make sure they eat something and don't get sick in the meantime!

Dangermouse
07-12-2005, 03:11 PM
quick update: this afternoon they were both pretty hungry, and ate a little bit of food while sitting in their "crates" (travel carriers). They weren't mad at me either for shoving them in there, so things are looking up!

Fran
07-12-2005, 03:34 PM
Sounds like you may have sussed it then ;) Keep us updated :D

Kay
12-12-2005, 10:46 PM
You have got the right idea but could you not leave them in seperate rooms for the 20 mins any food that isn't eaten in that time must be taken away from them until next time. That way they are not too confined. It works for a friend of mine who breeds and has to feed three different types of food for different reasons. Cats always put weight on after being spayed and that with the kitten food that is so high in protein hasn't helped but it should be correctable so don't worry.

Dangermouse
15-12-2005, 09:29 PM
my problem is that my house is very small, and I don't have many doors.. I could ofcourse put one in the bathroom(that room does have a door afterall HAHAHA), and let one stay out in the "catroom". Thanks for the idea! I had to buy some "obesety control" wet-food, cos she was having NON of eating the dry version.... spoiled cat LOL

edited to say, she had her annual vet check monday, and he was very happy with her, apart from that she wasa bit on the heavy side.... 4,5 kilos :)

Kay
16-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Glad the vet is happy with her. Lets hope next time she goes she will be 4 kgs. Glad you have a door on the bathroom HEHEHE

Dangermouse
08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
I am having pc probas, but just wanted to update quickly. Memphis was at the vets last week (nothing bad) and she has lost 300 grams! Vet was very impressed, as it had only been about 3 weeks. She is already more playful and active. I have had to compromise on their food, as Savannah only wanted the diet food, and Memphis hated eating alone and confined. They are now both on a low calorie diet, and as they are indoor cats, and Savannah is getting spayed tomorrow, he thought it was ok to let her have this as well.

Fran
08-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear you having pc probs :( Glad all is going well! Hugs for Savannah tomorrow x

Mags
08-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Glad to here everything is going well Dangermouse! Good luck to Savannah tomorrow too!

Kay
10-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Hope everything went OK for Savannah.

Dangermouse
14-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Savannah came through fine, thanks for asking ;) She felt a bit sorry for herself the first day, and was less than impressed with having to wear a collar, but she wants to nipple in the stitches, and it is a soft fabric type of collar, so she has adjusted to it quite qickly. Memphis and she is now both on a low calorie type food, which my vet said would be ok to feed them both. Obviously under the surcumstances it is not optimal, but Savannah is 9 months, so will survive without kitten food now. Feeding them seperately was too stressing for Memphis, who now will hide while I fill up the food bowls :( ... she'll be alright though. She is already much more active, and not one bit less cuddly.

dinahsmum
14-01-2006, 03:03 PM
Good news!

Donna
14-01-2006, 09:11 PM
Glad Savannah better!!

I have started to have to keep an eye on my two. Misty is such a pig - she eats EVERYTHING in sight and Chloe is very nervous of being disturbed when eating and runs and the first interruptance! Chloe is very small so trying to fatten her up. Started to feed Chloe in a different room so she knows Misty isnt going to gulp down her dinner then start on hers!

Dangermouse
27-03-2006, 09:34 AM
just thought I'd close up on this thread. The cats are now fed a mix of 2 royal canin indoor foods, and are thriving on it. They can have it sitting out all day and sometimes even leave a little (not often) so are not pigging out on it, like the kitten food, and they both look excellent.

Booktigger
27-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Am glad to hear you have managed to come to a compromise with them. I feed 5 cats in different rooms, and then spend time going up and down the stairs to stop Tom getting at Pebbles food (I don't want to shut the bathroom door in case she wants to come out before I get back up there or in case I forget!!).

Snoof
27-03-2006, 12:00 PM
This is something I'm worried about as well since we're getting 2 kittens soon - but at night they will be going in the lounge until we're sure Ninja doesn't want to eat them, so I figure at night they can have their food in here and the door will be closed (with a litterbox in as well, of course!) and during the day I can keep an eye out.

I'm very glad you resolved your issues - they really are fantastic cats. Very gorgeous :)