PDA

View Full Version : Will he stop spraying?

smudgley
04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
We have 2 cats in for rehoming that were actually my sister-in-laws cats. They are 2 entire males.:shock: They were never dirty / didn't spray in her house. (they are being rehomed for genuine reasons through no fault of theirs) The one is 18 months - the other is 2 years.
Because one is really friendly - a proper soppy old lap cat AND is the brother to one of my own cats, we thought MAYBE we MIGHT keep him (for those of you who don't know we lost one of our own cats recently & I guess
it's only a matter of time before we will get another)
So we have brought him into the house a few times - & he is really good - soooooo cuddly, but he has sprayed a few times, we have been there every time & have not left him unattended in the house. So my question is, will he stop spraying once his bits have gone? (booked in on Wed) I presume he will, but having never had a 2 year old entire male around here before:roll: I'm not really sure.
I think we may seriously consider keeping him if he doesn't spray.

PS - He does wee in his tray (big wees) & is generally a clean boy, just the occasional squirt in the house:? :?

smudgley
04-12-2005, 01:01 PM
PS - Incase anyone is thinking it may be better to rehome them together - I think they will better to go seperatly as the other one is quite timid & shy & I think he feels intimidated by the "bolder one"

dinahsmum
04-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Hopefully yes. He's still quite young, and no doubt he's stressed etc now.
I suppose you might get territorial issues leading to marking, but let's hope not.

Fran
04-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Yes I think he will stop spraying after he is neutered but maybe not straight away. The only problem I found with one of my neutered males (Gizmo now at the bridge) was that even when neutered he had a tendancy to start spraying again if I brought a new cat into the house :shock: Sylvester my black and white neuter has never sprayed since being neutered so I reckon they are all individual and it will be a case of wait and see how it goes... Good luck!! Any piccies??

Mags
04-12-2005, 02:12 PM
My previous cat Sam never sprayed in the house once he was neutered.....
I suspect he is just marking as he has come into a new home Smudgley.....

smudgley
04-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Yes I hope so.
In fairness we've had a few "ladies" in the room where he has sprayed & also got a youngster of 4 months around the house at the mo (seperate from him, but she has been in the room where he has sprayed) So I'm hoping that he will stop once he's done.

We don't really have other cats in & out the house only our own 2 girls usually, who are both spayed. Just had this kitten in 'cos I thought she'd be lost in the big pen all by herself.

I could take a photo PK whoops:oops: Fran but he's jet black so may not be very good pic, will try later on.

bobbie3917
04-12-2005, 03:27 PM
i would keep him out of the house until he is done mind, cos if he can smell where he has done it before then he might do it again
but im sure that he will stop

smudgley
04-12-2005, 04:41 PM
Yes Bobbie - he's in the cat pen & we have decided he can't come in anymore until after he's been done as we've had a few squirts now, luckily I've caught him each time & managed to clean it straight away but boy does it stink! Only once in the lounge - other times in the conservatory.
Will keep you all posted on "Salem" & his squirty habits:lol: