PDA

View Full Version : Eye Drops...

Moli
01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Anyone know of an easy way to get drops in a cats eyes???

Mags
01-12-2005, 09:30 PM
Does this help Moli......is it still Leo's eyes?

How to Give a Cat Medicine or Eye Drops (http://wiki.ehow.com/Give-a-Cat-Medicine-or-Eye-Drops)
This is a fairly easy way to give eye drops or medicine to your cat without a big struggle.

Steps

Sit on the floor on your knees, with your knees slightly apart.
Place your cat between your knees and facing away from you.
Reach under your cat's chin and lift it up.
Now you can either give the cat medicine by dropper or put in the eye drops.
To get the mouth open to administer oral meds, use your thumb and middle finger to slightly squeeze in on the sides of the feline mouth. Take quick advantage of this window of opportunity! Speed and sure aim help get the pill or dropper into the mouth before there's time for stress or a fight.
For testier cats, wrap tightly in a large towel so that only the head emerges from the bundle. This secures flailing paws and claws.

Tips

This works because the cat's natural reaction is to back up when you are trying to give the medicine. By sitting on the floor and behind your cat, you have eliminated it's escape route. If your cat tries to duck away, it only tucks itself in tighter to your body.
It helps to maintain eye contact with your cat and to remain silent, this will help your cat to understand that your will is stronger than his/hers

Moli
01-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Thanks Mags, will give it a go, at the moment all I am getting is scratched and covered on eye drops!!:roll: :roll: :-D

Mags
01-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Doing it that way Moli, at least he won't be able to back away from you.......wrap him in a towel if he is still scratching. Good luck!!

Fran
01-12-2005, 10:14 PM
I never in nearly 20 years of having cats ever had to give them eye drops or ointment. I have the horse, but he is easy and I have the dogs and they too are easy. I really wouldn't know how my cats would react. But they are not problem to administer tablets to so I would imagine they would be fine :? I always wrap them in a large bath tablet to givethem their pills..

Kazz
01-12-2005, 10:39 PM
Had to put those drops in Oscar eyes if you recall for his conjuncitivtis, he wasn't really a problem to start with got bored but no bad reaction it was almost as if he was resigned to me doing it.

No help but I should imagine the towel idea may work. Good luck

Moli
01-12-2005, 10:48 PM
Well, I tried you way Mags, got scratched and ollie ended up with the drops round his face!!!

Mags
01-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Ooops:shock: did you have him wrapped in a towel Moli? I think it calls for OH to hold him while you put the drops in:roll: :-D

Moli
01-12-2005, 11:10 PM
OH wouldn't hold him, he might get scratched!!!!

Mags
01-12-2005, 11:13 PM
Have you watched how the vet does it Moli?

Kazz
01-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Now my family are like that where the cats are concerned, none of them I repeat none of them will help if its something the cats won't like. They leave it to me saying the cats love me regardless. No help at all.:roll:

Karen

Mags
01-12-2005, 11:17 PM
My hubby will hold Cassie for me but she's only got to struggle and he lets go quick....lot of help he is:roll: :D

Moli
01-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Have you watched how the vet does it Moli?My cats behave for the vets, the little s**s only play me up....:roll:

Mags
01-12-2005, 11:21 PM
My cats behave for the vets, the little s**s only play me up....:roll:
That's always the way Moli.......good job you never have to take their temps!!:shock: :shock: :shock:

Moli
01-12-2005, 11:43 PM
That's always the way Moli.......good job you never have to take their temps!!:shock: :shock: :shock::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jac
02-12-2005, 02:12 AM
That I would like to see:shock: :lol:

dinahsmum
02-12-2005, 09:40 AM
It sounds a little cruel but if the cat is really feisty it can help if you wrap them tightly in a towel but then pop them head first down the sleeve of a jacket, so that just their head is out and those blimmin arms are pinned to their side well and truly! :(
Poor babe, but at least you can do what you have to do quickly.

Moli
02-12-2005, 11:11 PM
It sounds a little cruel but if the cat is really feisty it can help if you wrap them tightly in a towel but then pop them head first down the sleeve of a jacket, so that just their head is out and those blimmin arms are pinned to their side well and truly! :(
Poor babe, but at least you can do what you have to do quickly.Thanks DM sounds a brilliant idea, will give it a try:-D

Jac
03-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Get Moli to sit on him then put them in;)

Mags
03-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Get Moli to sit on him then put them in;)
I hope you mean Mollie Jac:shock: :-D

Jac
03-12-2005, 05:26 PM
OOpppsss:oops: I did mags but Moli could give it a try:lol: :lol:

Mags
03-12-2005, 05:31 PM
I would love to see that Jac!:-D

Jac
03-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I would love to see that Jac!:-D

So would I....She'll go nuts when she see's this Opps I'm in for a telling off (again)