PDA

View Full Version : Cat Superstitions

Mags
28-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Cats all over the world appear in superstition and folklore, every country has their own cat superstitions, here is a few from around the globe.

When a cat washes behind his ears you may expect visitors. (Dutch superstition)

A strange Black cat on your porch brings prosperity, (Scottish superstition)

A cat sneezing is a good omen for everyone who hears it. (Italian superstition)

It is bad luck to see a white cat at night. (American superstition)

Dreaming of a white cat means good luck. (American superstition)

If a cat deserts a house, illness will always reign there. (English superstition)

When you see a one eyed cat, spit on your thumb, stamp it in the palm of your hand, and make a wish. The wish will come true. (American superstition)

If a cat washes behind it's ears, it will rain. (English superstition)

A cat sleeping with all four paws tucked under means cold weather ahead. (English superstition)

English schoolchildren believe seeing a white cat on the way to school is sure to bring trouble. To avert bad luck, they must either spit, or turn around completely and make the sign of the cross.

A Black cat crossing one's path by moonlight means death in an epidemic. (Irish superstition)

It is bad luck to cross a stream carrying a cat. (French superstition)

In Britain and many parts of Europe, a black cat crossing the road, or entering your house is considered very good fortune.

In parts of Yorkshire the wives of fishermen keep black cats at home to ensure their husbands safety at sea.

In Southern England a black cat crossing the path of the bride as she leaves the church is said grant a fortuneate marriage.

A cat has nine lives.

On every black cat there is a single hair that is white. If you remove it without the cat scratching, this white hair will bring you wealth or luck in love.

Moli
28-11-2005, 10:49 PM
On every black cat there is a single hair that is white. If you remove it without the cat scratching, this white hair will bring you wealth or luck in love.
Leo has 1 white hair on one of his paws!!!

CathyW
28-11-2005, 10:50 PM
oooh ive got 2 black cats,each with a few white hairs,hmm wheres my tweezers :D

Mags
28-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Oooooh Moli, are you going to have a go?:lol:

Mags
28-11-2005, 10:52 PM
oooh ive got 2 black cats,each with a few white hairs,hmm wheres my tweezers :D
:-D @ BM........

Moli
28-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Seems rotten to pull it out, he has had it 11 years!!!

Fran
28-11-2005, 11:06 PM
It is bad luck to cross a stream carrying a cat..

This one amused me - can't imagine any reason for wanting to carry my cats across a stream :shock: :-D

Mags
28-11-2005, 11:09 PM
It is bad luck to cross a stream carrying a cat..

This one amused me - can't imagine any reason for wanting to carry my cats across a stream :shock: :-D
Short cut back from the Vet:smt102 :lol:

Fran
28-11-2005, 11:10 PM
:lol: @ Mags!!

dinahsmum
28-11-2005, 11:12 PM
When a cat washes behind his ears you may expect visitors. (Dutch superstition)

Oh - well we must have some Dutch forebears because we always used to say this back in Zummerzet when I was growing up :lol:

CathyW
28-11-2005, 11:13 PM
:-D @ BM........well could do with some good luck :D

Moli
29-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Short cut back from the Vet:smt102 :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Donna
29-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Leo has 1 white hair on one of his paws!!!

Misty has some white hairs on her tummy. Will pull them all out!!!

Jac
29-11-2005, 08:08 PM
A cat eating your roast chicken...................................Is bad luck

saying from Edinburgh:lol: