PDA

View Full Version : showing cats

ann
28-11-2005, 03:35 PM
hi everyone could someone tell when you know if your kittens are of show qualiy only i would like to know:p

Mags
28-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Sorry I can't help you Ann but I hope someone will be along to answer your question....

Fran
28-11-2005, 06:58 PM
I think some breeders have pretty much a good idea soon after the kitties are born...whether they have the right ear set etc... Some breeds like Siamese don't colour up until a few weeks after birth so if show quality is dependant on colour too then breeders of these sorts of breeds would reserve judgement until the colouring developed......I don't breed cats, this is just what I have gathered talking to people that do :-D

bobbie3917
29-11-2005, 12:45 AM
i think it can depend on the breed as well just like in dogs some u can tell right away and others you have to wait.
but u should know by about 6 weeks

borderdawn
29-11-2005, 08:45 AM
I would of thought, like dogs any kitten is a gamble. I dont understand how people with puppies or kittens can say its a show animal when its a few weeks old, how on this earth can anyone know what that animal will look like in 12mths time? I think its a bit naughty to say its shoq quality, I just say, its a nicely made puppy/kitten and everything looks nice on him/her at this point.
dawn.

bobbie3917
29-11-2005, 08:09 PM
with kittens they are show a lot younger then pups so it may be easier to say but i do agree that so much can change as they grow

borderdawn
29-11-2005, 08:46 PM
What age do they start with kittens Bobbie?
Dawn.

Fran
29-11-2005, 10:00 PM
What age do they start with kittens Bobbie?
Dawn.

Kittens can be shown from 14 weeks of age I believe..

bobbie3917
29-11-2005, 10:35 PM
your right fran 14 weeks

borderdawn
30-11-2005, 12:00 AM
WOW that is young, real babes.
Dawn.

Maine Coon slave
30-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi
We used to show our Maine Coons and you can start from about 13/14 weeks. Breeders can tell from a very young age if a kitten is going to be what the judges want. When I first saw my Supreme Champ boy he was about 3/4 weeks old and between me and the breeder we felt he had a great chance on the show bench, and by his title above you can see she was right!!!
If you want to show the best person to ask about show hopes is the breeder you got the kitten from. If they've been a breeder for any length of time they will know and if it's good they should be happy to advise and encourage you to show. If you do well it gives their breeder prefix publicity and then they possibly get more business so it's in their interest that you do well. If they discourage you then I would think your kitten isn't show type and therefore they don't want a less than fantastic example of their kittens shown off.

Sorry if that seems a bit off bu thats what some breeders are like. It was stuck up snooty ones that made me stop showing, I couldn't be bother with the back stabbing of others doing well.

cheers:lol: