PDA

View Full Version : Questions about showing

Chairman Miaow
26-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Hey,
I was considering showing Rocket under the household pets as he is a very chilled out cat. I went on the GCCF site and they don't seem to provide any info for beginers.
Do you keep them in their carriers? Or a pen? Do you buy the pen or is it provided for you? Do you need to bring food/water/litter? How long are they in their carriers/pens? About how much money should I withdraw?

Thanks! As you can see I have no idea at all!

Fran
26-11-2005, 10:01 PM
I have no experience of showing cats either CM yet, must say it is something that I would like to have a go at so I too will be interested to hear the replies to your questions :-D

bobbie3917
27-11-2005, 01:09 AM
right this is what i think i know
you have to get a pen/crate a white litter tray with white litter a white water and food bowl and a cat hehe i dont know how much it would cost sorry. how is your cat about having a bath? cos all show cats are bathed a few days before a show

Chairman Miaow
27-11-2005, 12:04 PM
He wouldn't be thrilled but I'm pretty sure I could talk him round! Where do pen/crate from? What size?

bobbie3917
27-11-2005, 04:51 PM
u can get them off ebay i dont know what size sorry

Fran
27-11-2005, 05:42 PM
I was speaking to someone today who shows her cats regularly and she says that the pens are provided you just need to provide everything else and that everthing has to be white, including the litter tray and litter :shock:

Chairman Miaow
27-11-2005, 06:10 PM
Thats weird. What if your cats aren't used to crystal litter?

I bought a ticket to the show in Olympia anyone coming? I don't think I'm entering Rocket, Mica would be really upset if left on her own. Too bad because when I approach breeders they could have seen that Rocket is well taken care of. :(

bobbie3917
29-11-2005, 01:02 AM
it also depends on the show the Gccf or the tics (i think that what the second 1 is) i know the Gccf is all white

Maine Coon slave
30-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Hi
We used to show our Maine Coon Boys with what used to be the Cat Association but I think is now Felis Britannia, they have a web site. Did once or twice with GCCF too. The other posts are correct, the GCCF insist on everything in hte cage being white and you have to remove food for the judging time. So your cat is left in it's cage with water and litter tray. If you want to get things to use in white then just go to a GCCF show and there are stalls where you buy everything. The best show I go to is at Olympia in London in early december. It's a great day out to see all the different cats and spend lots of money.
Showing costs depend on how many classes you enter the cat for, there are a couple of compulsory ones that costs about £20-£30 I think and then smaller "side" classes that costs a few pounds each to enter. They are all defined by age, sex, breed, colour etc. It's a good idea to talk to a breeder perhaps whose shown for years and they will explain everything.
The Cat Association shows we used to do were great because you could decorate the cage in colours or themes and some shows even have a prize for best dressed cage!!!
The GCCF shut everyone out of the hall for a couple of hours in the morning whilst they judge but the Cat Assocaition judge the cats indiviually and you can hear what the judges thinks and says about your cat. It can be very informative but my first time t was sooooo nerve racking, just in case the judge said it was just abundle of old fluff you have!! he he he I don't care, they are my babies whatever.
Sorry for going on but if you want to PM me I can answer any questions if I can.
cheers

Fran
30-11-2005, 11:45 PM
What date in December is the show at Olympia this year?

cataddiction
01-12-2005, 09:41 PM
The National cat club is on the 10th December at Olympia in London:D

cataddiction
01-12-2005, 09:44 PM
To get all your show equipment if you go http://www.smyleepets.co.uk/ and have a look, they sell all the show equipment you need and they would send it to you
White blankets
white litter tray
white food bowel
white drinking bowel;)

Fran
01-12-2005, 09:47 PM
The National cat club is on the 10th December at Olympia in London:D

How do you go there as a spectator Liz? do you need to get tickets?

Maine Coon slave
02-12-2005, 02:09 PM
You maybe able to buy tickets in advance, not sure, remember you won't get in til about lunchtime til after the bulk of the judging is done. I know you can book parking in advance but it's about £20. Alternatively there is Olympia train station right across the road from it.
cheers:D

cataddiction
02-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Yes you can either book in advance or you can go on the day, if you go along fran come over and say hello:D

Kay
05-12-2005, 06:38 PM
Hi

If you are considering showing then the best thing to do is send for some schedules for cat shows from cat clubs. A list of all shows held in the UK along with the names and address of the show managers is available from the GCCF for £4.00, I think this is the current price. You have to send your entry into the show/section manager about 5-6 weeks before the show. The average cost for a Household Pet, that it is a non pedigree cat, is £22 and for a pedigree £28. This includes your cats pen for the day and entry into four classes. You can enter more classes if you wish at extra cost but in my opinion four is plenty. As previously stated you will need a white blanket, white litter tray and litter, white food bowl and a white water bowl. The food bowl must be removed before judging starts and nothing else must be in the pen as you will be disqualified. Your cat will need to have had all its booster up to date and you must prove this by taking your vaccination card along also if your cat is a moggie then it must be neutered if it is older than 9months. The cats are examined by a vet before being allowed into the show, this is really nerve wracking as they can refuse you entry for the slightest thing e.g. dirty eyes, ears, fleas etc. Vetting in is usually about 7.45am till 9.30am with judging starting about 10.00am when everyone must leave the hall. You are usually allowed back in about 12.30pm as well as the public. This might sound really complicated but it isn't and once you have got the bug you can't shake it off. If you would like anymore info please e-mail me on tilsie@tesco.net. Good Luck.

Kay, Tilsie Persians.
:cat4